"Open and Fill" not doing anything at all from 1Password desktop app

Options
RobR_61
RobR_61
Community Member

There are several previous reports of this problem. For some the web-page does open but the user & pass are not populated. For other, the web-page doesn't even open, which is what I am finding too.

According to this post...
https://1password.community/discussion/126386/open-and-fill-not-working-on-new-imac
...the suggestion is to:
1. Close the browser.
2. Quit 1Password entirely.
3. Now it should work.

This didn't change anything.

I noticed that the 1Password extension [1Password for Safari 2.3.1*] was locked. I unlocked and tried Open and Fill again. Nothing.

macOS:
12.2.1 (21D62)

My default browser is Safari:
Version 15.3 (17612.4.9.1.8)

I am using the newest 1Password:
1Password 7
Version 7.9.3 (70903003)
1Password Store

I have also seen suggestions of:
1. Restarting. I did this about 3 days ago. Not that.
2. Updating 1Password. This is the newest, non-beta version. Not that either.

* The Safari 1Password extension 7.9.3 is still in Safari but disabled. My understanding is that this is not the extension to use but it is part of Safari so we end up with two. If I Uninstall it, I get the message 'The “1Password” extension is part of the “1Password 7” application.'

Am I missing something or is this a bug?

TIA

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @RobR_61! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that you're unable to use "Open and Fill" on your Mac. 1Password for Safari is our new version of 1Password in the browser that is designed to integrate with 1Password 8. At the moment 1Password 8 is available in beta and if you're using 1Password 7 you can stick with the integrated extension which should help matters here.

To remove 1Password for Safari:

1. Close Safari
    2. Open the Applications folder on your Mac.
    3. Drag 1Password for Safari to the Trash.
    4. Restart your Mac.

Then to make sure that the integrated 1Password extension for Safari is enabled follow these steps:

1. Open Safari.
    2. Click on Safari next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click on Preferences.
    4. Click on Extensions.
    5. Make sure that "1Password" is checked.

Let me know if that helps. 😊

• RobR_61
    RobR_61
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, yes this worked. I now only have 1Password 7.9.3 and the accompanying Safari Extension.

This has been a disruptive and time-consuming problem & having multiple versions of 1Password and Safari add-ons is obviously confusing. 1Password knows this—there are multiple forum comments (e.g., here & in Reddit)—yet there has been no clear communication to users about what versions to use/delete.

• @RobR_61

I'm sorry for the confusion. I hope that my post above was able to clear things up but please let me know if there is anything else that I can help explain.

I agree that the current state of things is a little bit confusing. The good news is that, with the future release of 1Password 8 on all platforms, we'll be able to have a much more consistent offering on the Mac and indeed on all platforms.

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with. 😊

• RobR_61
    RobR_61
    Community Member
    Options

All good now—thanks for your help! 👌

Oh—actually—there is something else: Not a biggie, but do you know why sometimes I can open 1Password with my Apple Watch, but not always? 🤔

I think it might be something like, the desktop app will work but the Safari extension will not.

• @RobR_61

Thank you for the reply. Were you unable to use Apple Watch unlock to unlock 1Password for Safari or the built-in extension that comes with 1Password 7? If it's the former then 1Password for Safari can only be unlocked using your Apple Watch if you're also running the beta version of 1Password 8 for Mac since it relies on a connection to the 1Password 8 app for things like Apple Watch unlock.

If the built-in extension itself wasn't working with Apple Watch unlock then can you tell me if you noticed any patterns on when it wasn't working? For example, did it not work after an update? After waking your Mac from sleep?

I look forward to hearing from you. 😊

This discussion has been closed.