Feature request: Please add "copy 1password uri" (op://...) to each item and its sections

dmir
dmir
Community Member

We already love to mess around with the CLI 2 (web development context) but it would be awesome if the 1Password clients (e.g. MacOS) would allow to be able to copy the specific 1password uri ("op://") for a selected item or a section inside the item.
Hand crafting these URIs is pretty cumbersome and feels often more like a guessing game.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Excellent idea!

And maybe only do this when the Developer box in the settings is checked, so it won’t confuse “regular” users?

• dmir
    dmir
    Community Member
    edited April 2022

Yeah exactly it can and should be coupled to the development setting being checked.

• Hey both,

Thank you for the great ideas!
    This is definitely something on our roadmap, i.e. integrating the developer features deeper within all 1Password clients.
    On the short-term, however, we are soon going to add secret references to the json output of op item get. Would this be something that you would benefit from, in your use-case?

Best,
    Horia

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Probably not, since for me the entire reason of wanting this is easily getting the exact op://Vault/Item/Field value.

If I have to use the CLI I still have to figure out this information myself...

Or do I misunderstand how the CLI can help here?

• With the change that I am describing, the json output of a field would look similar to:

{
          "id": "username",
          "type": "STRING",
          "purpose": "USERNAME",
          "label": "username",
          "value": "my-username",
          "reference": "op://test-vault/docker/username"
        }

which could easily be extracted using a utility such as jq, making it usable in automated scenarios as well. I think this would alleviate the problem of having to derive the secret references manually, or maybe I misunderstand your use-case?

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

What are you using as parameters for op item get?

Wouldn’t that be that exact reference value?

• dmir
    dmir
    Community Member

Yeah this is exactly the problem. Especially when you got items that are named the same. (just splitted by tags) In this case it is a guessing game with the CLI to get the correct UUI in order to to the correct op item get in order to then get your supposed reference property.

• Thank you both for your feedback. We're currently investigating the possibility of including such a feature in the Desktop App. We'll keep you updated with any developments on this front.

Best,
    Horia

• dmir
    dmir
    Community Member

Thank you very much @Horia.Culea_1P for the feedback.

• Hi folks,

While there hasn't been any concrete updates on this feature request, we have just created an internal issue to track it, and have also kicked off a discussion.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.