Basic Understandings of Teams vs. Personal

Options

I've been using 1P since the year it began, I think, a long time. So, I know how to use it's Personal account features. I paid for a Teams account, added a Team Member, and confirmed that he now has that Shared access. I see he has what is the Private vault and Shared vault. I understand their differences, but what is the difference between a Personal account Vault and a Private vault (included in the Shared vault)?

Is the distinction as simple as me being the Owner of the Team being able to remove him and therefor anything he creates in the included Private Vault that is include with the Shared vault?

So, for him to use 1P for his own personal banking, personal life, personal anything, he would need to buy a separate Personal account for that?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.9.2 (70902005) 1Password Sto
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.14.6 (18G9323)
Referrer: forum-search:setting up teams

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @bensieg

Thanks for taking the time to write in, and for being a long-time 1Password user. I'd be happy to help clarify those points.

Each individual's Personal/Private vault within a 1Password Teams or 1Password Business membership is intended to be used to store items unique to that individual that they do not wish to share. No one other than that individual can access the items in that vault. But, as you mentioned, those individuals can be removed from the team at any time by the owners/administrators of the team. As such it would be unwise to store non-work related items inside such an account.

Our 1Password Business offering includes a 1Password Families membership for each team member. If your team members would like to use 1Password for their non-work use, that may be an option to investigate:

Get a free 1Password Families membership when you use 1Password Business

I hope that helps!

Ben

• bensieg
    bensieg
    Community Member
    edited February 2022
    Options

So an added Team member can't buy a Personal account and use that for their personal use (keeping the Teams-included Private vault separate from the Personal account)?

So what becomes of my Personal account accounts now that I have upgraded to a Teams account? Are all my 1100 Logins, etc. in my Personal account now something different? I am the Owner.

• Hey @bensieg:

So an added Team member can't buy a Personal account and use that for their personal use (keeping the Teams-included Private vault separate from the Personal account)?

Each 1Password account exists completely independently of one another. For example, I have a individual 1Password account for my personal use, and am part of a family account with my family, as well as my 1Password Business account for storing my work information that I use here. If your team member wanted their own 1Password individual account to store items in an account they solely control, they would create their own individual account using an email address they control. To explicitly answer your question: an added team member would be able to subscribe to their own 1Password membership and have their own Personal vault in said membership that would remain theirs, no matter what happened with their Teams account you had provided to them.

Additionally, since it sounds like you've upgraded to a Teams account from a individual account, all of the items that you had in your Personal vault will continue to stay in your Personal/Private vault.

Let me know if that cleared it up for you, or you still have some questions!

Jack

• bensieg
    bensieg
    Community Member
    edited February 2022
    Options

I'm the Owner that upgraded to Teams. So, in order for me to have my Personal account now to be a separate Personal account I need to purchase one of those? And then I can move all of my Personal account info into that one?

In the Billing section of my account it says I'm on the Teams plan with one paid user. I really didn't want my Personal account to arranged this way. I wanted my Personal account to be separate, and for a Teams account to be the new one. But it converted my Personal into Teams, and there was no choice, and now there's no choice to covert it back or separate them. This is so confusing.

Should I create a whole new Personal account, and then select all of my Personal logins, etc, from my Personal account inside the new Teams account, and move all of that into my newly created separate Personal account?

This seems light a nightmare. I have over 1200 logins, servers, emails, keywords, that I've built over the years in my Personal account and they are all in my Teams > Personal account! I didn't want this. I want these to be separate from the new Teams account. How do I do this???

• Hey @bensieg:

We definitely don't want you to feel confused.

Indeed, that's right. If you'd like to separate your personal information from your work information completely (for example keeping your personal Facebook login information outside of your work 1Password account, and accounts of that nature), creating a new individual account would be your best bet. If you're okay with having all of your information in a single 1Password account though, you can continue to use 1Password how you previously have been, only now with the ability to share a vault with the team member you've invited. As Ben mentioned above, generally speaking the risk with storing personal information (your Facebook account, your Google account, your Netflix account) in a 1Password account provided by work is the risk that you could be removed at any time, the most immediate reason being let go from the company. If you're the administrator/owner of the 1Password account, and in charge of the company however, there's significantly less risk of that happening.

Let me know if that makes sense!

Jack

• bensieg
    bensieg
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, so I am the Owner/Admin and am at low risk for losing that since it's in my control. So if I want to separate them with creating a new Personal account would it be as simple as exporting the Personal account in my Team account, and then importing that into my newly created Personal account? Would move everything I've built up over the years, keywords, categories, items, all of it?

• @bensieg,

We actually have a great support article that you can follow that covers transferring your data over to a new personal account; exporting your data won't be necessary. You can create a new individual or family account, add this account to the 1Password app alongside your converted team account, and then move any personal data from vaults in your team account over to vaults in your new account.

While it's aimed at departing team members leaving an organization, it works with your scenario, and you can ignore the Sign out of the account step and everything after that.

Offboard a team member

• KayCee
    KayCee
    Community Member
    Options

I don't want to get into the personal/work tangle reported by several and so am asking in advance. (1) I have had and used a personal 1Password account for some time now. (2) I have a separate account given to me by a company for whom I consult. Both of those accounts (1) and (2) are logged in and active in both my macOS and iOS installs of 1Password.

(3) Now, I am interested in having others in a small company I manage use 1Password so that we can share some logins for which we share responsibility. I believe that some of them are already personal 1Password users. Are we simply able to create and share a vault with these few common-use logins among our existing accounts, or do we really need yet more 1Password accounts to accomplish this?

• ag_max
    Options

Hi @KayCee,

The best way to manage logins and credentials for your small company will be to create a third account and invite everyone who needs access as separate team members or guests. Like yourself, those already using personal accounts will join as separate users (with unique sign-in details). I recommend contacting our team via email to discuss any specifics. You can reach the email team using businesssupport@1password.com.

This discussion has been closed.