When will CLI 2.0 be on Homebrew

Options
alexclst
alexclst
Community Member
edited March 2022 in CLI

Before using the CLI 2.0 beta I had the CLI installed via Homebrew. I'd like to be able to use that install method again. When will the 2.0 version be there? I feel like this may have been an unofficial install method as well, which lends to asking, will you be officially releasing the 1Password CLI via Homebrew?

1Password Version: 8.6.0-81.BETA
Extension Version: 2.3.0
OS Version: macOS 12.3 (21E230)

Comments

• Hey @alexclst πŸ‘‹ Check out our new developer documentation and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the new install methods we're now supporting officially πŸ˜„

• alexclst
    alexclst
    Community Member
    Options

Awesome. Thanks.

• You're welcome @alexclst! Adding more installers for CLI was a top priority for us to include in this launch so I'm happy to hear they'll be put to good use πŸ˜„

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Maybe I misunderstood, but for me Homebrew still installs 1.12.4 instead of 2.0.0 😒

• @XIII Have you tried using brew install --cask 1password/tap/1password-cli as outlined in our docs? I was doing a final test of yesterday and didn't run into any issues!

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited March 2022
    Options

Yes I did, but Homebrew downloaded this: https://cache.agilebits.com/dist/1P/op/pkg/v1.12.4/op_apple_universal_v1.12.4.pk

I just tried again and now it downloaded this instead: https://cache.agilebits.com/dist/1P/op2/pkg/v2.0.0/op_apple_universal_v2.0.0.pkg

Success:

🍺  1password-cli was successfully installed!
    ➜ op --version

• @XIII I'm glad to see it's working for you πŸ˜„

• MatthewPackwoodJR
    MatthewPackwoodJR
    Community Member
    Options

I am having an interesting issue:
    I run brew update / brew upgrade - homebrew does nothing with the CLI (leaves me on 1.12.4)
    I run brew remove 1password-cli
    Then brew install --cask 1password/tap/1password-cli - that installs 2.0.0
    Then I run brew update - I get "Already up-to-date." as a response
    I run brew upgrade (because "why not") and brew removes 2.0.0 and installs 1.12.4

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited March 2022
    Options

I seem to be suffering from the same as @MatthewPackwood, because after todays Homebrew update I get this:

➜ op --version

😒

(does explain why all my automation is broken today...)

Reproducible:

➜ brew update
    Already up-to-date.
    ➜ brew upgrade
    ==> Casks with 'auto_updates true' or 'version :latest' will not be upgraded; pass `--greedy` to upgrade them.
    ==> Upgrading 1 outdated package:
    1password-cli 2.0.0 -> 1.12.4
    ==> Upgrading 1password-cli
    ==> Downloading https://cache.agilebits.com/dist/1P/op/pkg/v1.12.4/op_apple_universal_v1.12.4.pkg

• Hi folks, we are going to look into why brew upgrade defaults to the community maintained cask even though it's been installed by our tap.

For the meantime, it looks like the downgrading issue should have been mitigated due to the community maintained cask incrementing to version 2.

• MatthewPackwoodJR
    MatthewPackwoodJR
    Community Member
    Options

@Justin.Yoon_1P I had an interesting "thing" yesterday, I ran "brew update", it told me there was an outdated cask, I ran "brew outdated" and brew told me it was 1password-cli, I ran "brew upgrade" and it installed 2.0.0 over 2.0.0 - weird.

• @MatthewPackwood Thanks for the update. We are having issues in the tap (a new repo, maintained by us) vs cask (community maintained) source of truth and will be looking into it soon!

• MatthewPackwoodJR
    MatthewPackwoodJR
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, thanks!

• No worries, don't hesitate to let us know if we can help with anything else!

This discussion has been closed.