Search - make it simpler...

Just installed V8 Beta for MacOS. First impression: I don't like search ... Please simplify it
In fact, I prefer the search behaviour of V7, which is the list of items adjusts on the fly as I type in the search field.

Now in V8, as I type a search term, e.g. "Google", the matches drop down from the search field. This is not what I want. Instead, I wish the item list would just narrow down to those matching dynamically, like in V7

I see no reason to having to press two keys (Command + Return) in order to get the matching item list displayed. This should be automatic, saving me from pressing extra keys.

In fact, Quick Access Search does exactly that. As I type, the list of items adjusts. No need to also press Command and Return.

@1Password, If there is a good reason for this new behaviour, please explain. However, please consider restoring the old behaviour for search.

Reinhard

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.5.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.1

Comments

• Hi @reinhard76, thanks for your feedback here. I have added your comments to our ongoing discussion about how to continue improving search functionality in 1Password 8. We appreciate hearing from you about this, and hope that updates to come will impress you! 🙂

ref: dev/core/core#10777

• sloot
    sloot
    Community Member

+1 on this. I was initially very confused by the new behaviour.

• Appleeater
    Appleeater
    Community Member

Could you please add an option to revert back to the old behaviour?
    ( ) Use Classic Search Mode

I'm also used to the old style, type in your search and press enter like in every browser.

• Appleeater
    Appleeater
    Community Member
    edited February 2022

Maybe an additional mode to "autocomplete for tags search" would be great.

• Thanks for your additions here, folks. We're listening!

• dmciver
    dmciver
    Community Member

Umm... how about some advanced search features - I don't need to be typing more than necessary or banging my head on a wall trying to search a specific vault for details. If I've selected a vault and hit search - DEFAULT to searching that vault. Put a damn checkbox in there if I want to search across all vaults.

HUGE step back in the interface guys. I am miserable on ver 8.5.0

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member

+1 from me.

The narrowing down the items list when typing in the search made more sense to me too in V7

• Thanks for the feedback, @rctneil. I've added your +1 to our internal issue.

ref: IDEA-I-289

• kormoc
    kormoc
    Community Member

Another +1 here. The search in V7 was intuitive and useful. V8's is much harder and I've taken to just avoiding it as much as possible. It makes 1password much less useful for me.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

+1 for bringing back the whole V7 search experience

• aholtz
    aholtz
    Community Member

+10 on this one. The auto-filtering of the main list from v7 should definitely be an option.

• Hi @aholtz:

Thanks for your feedback on this as we continue to improve 1Password.

Jack

• Ashokleyland
    Ashokleyland
    Community Member

+1 !!
    Old behavior was a lot easier.

• timkingman
    timkingman
    Community Member

My issue with V8 search is that it doesn't match within words the same way V7 did.
    For example, if I have an item named "corpwebsite-prod", and I type "website prod" in the search box, V7 finds this item but V8 doesn't, either in the search drop-down or the "Show all matching items" list.
    V7:

V8:

• PeterG_1P
    edited April 2022

Hi @timkingman, thank you for your feedback.

You're correct, this doesn't work the same way it did in 1Password 7. There are some technical reasons for this, as one of our developers, Rob, explains here:

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/635627/#Comment_635627

But long story short, we are still working on the best way to make search work for everyone, and recognize the use case that you've highlighted for us here. Thanks again for sharing, and we'll keep working to create the best possible search experience.

This discussion has been closed.