1Password 8 issues

Options
chimney
chimney
Community Member

AI see several similar topics on the forum.

It seems that v8 for Windows has failed in many ways: GUI, Search, Functionality. I had to roll back to v7 just because v8 is ridiculous and looks like designed by wrong people - it has a number of flaws with GUI basics and design in general, probably wasn't tested and Q/A'ed thoroughly. I'm sorry, but it's terrible. It appears that 1Password do not have an art director for this kind of job, or they do have, but it's just a manager maybe?
Several examples:
1. Unjustified huge interligne between the items
2. New fat and cartoonish style that does not look professional (the cartoonish style for the mobile version is perfect though - see how different people do their jobs)
3. The useless left panel
4. Many unaligned elements in the visual layout, the elements are randomly located here and there with no readable logic and connection, thus chaotic
5. Terrible search that makes having your own Favourite items meaningless - what's the point, if you cannot search through the Favourites list as before? Oh, there might be a special key combination? Why does it need additional key combination, elements or steps to be taken - they make things worse and more complicated than before. This is not an improvement.
6. The new search applies your search words to the whole list of items and never brings what I need... The Favourites in v7 were day-to-day easy-to-use items. That was my own group that I could work with. With v8 I was dumped into the search results all shared items (including other vaults) and had to scroll... scroll... scroll... scroll... to never find what I needed. If you have over 100 items across tens of vaults, you can understand me
7. The new star icon for Favourites... It's not easy to catch with a corner of your eye even on the item without an icon. If you have a service or product icon/vendor logo, and it's a bit coloured, consider you've lost your favourite because it becomes invisible among the other items... Try to find a green tree in a green forest...
8. The top panel is heavily overwhelmed - you put so many elements in there mimicking the new questionable Windows visual solutions (which are far away from a good design themselves), so lost yourself. In order to move the 1P window across several displays as I used to be doing easily, I had to exand the window much wider just because there wasn't enough space in the top panel to grab with my mouse and drag...

These are just basics. Kids mistakes. But your designers are not kids.
I believe the designers should have a proper experience of using 1P themselves on an everyday basis.

Sorry.

I cannot recommend migrating to v8; it's better to stay on v7 for many reasons.

P.S. Thanks for deleting my comment to one of the below topics.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @chimney,

Thanks for the feedback you've provided here. I'll respond to your points individually, with the caveat that I don't think it's especially helpful for you to insult our designers. Much of what you've detailed here are subjective preferences, which not everyone will agree with, and while we're happy to engage with you on how to make 1Password better (and appreciate your passion for the app!), we can have a more productive conversation if you're willing to engage on a respectful basis. I appreciate your understanding on that.

1. Unjustified huge interligne between the items

This is a great example of a subjective preference - we've heard plenty of feedback that the item size looks great. At the same time, there are people for whom increased size is even a bonus - some folks have varying degrees of vision loss, or trouble with visual processing, and making things distinct and clear is an advantage in this case.

Either way, we have an open internal discussion about providing other options for folks who would prefer a more compact style. I'll add your comments here to the list.

ref: dev/core/core#9396

1. New fat and cartoonish style that does not look professional

See response above.

1. The useless left panel

We designed this partly in response to customer feedback, but likewise there is an internal discussion about the way the side panel might be handled, and I'll once again add your name to that.

Many unaligned elements in the visual layout, the elements are randomly located here and there with no readable logic and connection, thus chaotic

I'm not sure what you're referring to here, but if you provide examples (or screenshots), I'll be happy to check them out!

Terrible search that makes having your own Favourite items meaningless

Search is an ongoing focus of work for us here. You can expect to see improvements to this coming in future updates. We understand it's important to be able to find what you need! 👍

ref: dev/core/core#10777

The new star icon for Favourites... It's not easy to catch with a corner of your eye even on the item without an icon.

Maybe there's a way we can make this better, in terms of visual contrast (I'll speak with our accessibility working group about it). I'll point out, though, that there is also the entirely distinct Favorites menu, so you don't have to rely on scrolling through your whole unfiltered list and visually hunting for favorite items. You can use the Favorites menu to see only the things you've chosen to reserve as such. I hope this is helpful!

I believe the designers should have a proper experience of using 1P themselves on an everyday basis.

The designers, and all of us who work at 1Password, use the app every day. That's partly a basis for our testing, but it's also because we just want to both create and use the best solution possible. We continually test the app for bugs, potential improvements, and accessibility, and are dedicated to making things better with every release. We understand that not every design decision will be universally loved - millions of people use 1Password, that would be impossible. But you can rest assured that we use the app constantly, test it consistently, care a lot about what we do, and will give you our best.

• Hi @chimney, we have an update to share on a couple of your items here. 👋

As of the latest Beta release (8.7.0-41), you can now adjust both the density of items in your list and the contents of the sidebar. There's also a new interface zoom option, which lets you change the size of things in the app (as opposed to the space between them), which we hope will be helpful for your use case.

Lastly, we've added some customization to the sidebar a few releases back - so you can now choose whether Categories and Tags are part of your sidebar experience.

We'd love to have your feedback on this if you're curious to check it out. If you're still on the Beta channel, you should be able to update and see the changes immediately. Further details on this release can be found here as well:

https://1password.community/discussion/128543/beta-12-of-2022-is-now-available-️#latest

Best regards from us at 1Password! 🥳

This discussion has been closed.