how do I change default vault for saving passwords in Windows 1Password version 8.6.0

tdushane
tdushane
Community Member

The settings for a version called something like 1Password X are described in several places.
They are _not _ obvious in version 8.6.0.
I do NOT want my default vault to be my private vault.

1Password Version: 8.6.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Prof
Referrer: forum-search:change default vault Windows version 8.6.0

Comments

• @tdushane:

Thanks for reaching out! As it currently stands, there isn't a way to configure a default vault across collections, but you can always change the destination vault during the creation process. With that said though, I can definitely see how this would be useful, so I've shared your thoughts internally with the team.

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#9846

• abandonedbrain
    abandonedbrain
    Community Member

I find it disappointing that so many features which have been part of 1P for the Mac platform for so long have yet to be implemented in the Windows version this many years in. Default vault has been around forever on the Mac. Many of us Mac users also have PCs (or at least "crutch" VMs with Windows for certain apps); this is something which is badly needed on Windows.

• Hi @abandonedbrain, thanks for offering this thought. I can appreciate why you might feel that way.

As it happens, we also have not been extremely excited about the previous discontinuities between each platform app. Of course, we want each app to feel at home on its relevant operating system, and especially to take advantage of the unique strengths of each platform wherever possible - but we've also very much wanted to bring the apps into closer alignment across platforms. So that's part of what we're endeavoring to do across the board with 1Password 8, now that all of the new generation of apps will share a common Rust-based core.

With that said, the feature you're describing here may not make the 1Password 8 for Mac general release. When it comes to the default vault for saving behavior, we have to balance the benefits and potential drawbacks of a couple different user scenarios. I posted about that here.

And with that said, we're taking the landmark of 1Password 8 as an opportunity not to do things the way they've been done on one particular previous version of 1Password, but to implement new solutions that work better for as many people as possible. That's an ongoing process - and we welcome your feedback on the best ways to get there!

• nchristian
    nchristian
    Community Member

Hi @PeterG_1P -- appreciate your thoughts. I'm in software and recognize the need to drive changes that aren't always what users are asking for. I'd ask you to re-think this one, though. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that in my family there are large differences in comfort level with tech. One reason I've used 1Password since version 3 or 4, is that it makes it easy for my family to share passwords and equally important, for me to provide tech support.

By defaulting new password creation to the shared vault, I can easily support confused family members. It appears that the behavior on Win (and based on your comments, the future behavior on Mac) will mean that new logins may live in either the shared vault, or each user's private vault, depending on whether they think about this when creating the login (they won't ;) ).

Additionally, when family members use a Mac for personal use, and a Win machine for work, any inconsistencies (either between platforms or past --> current --> future state) lead to insane amounts of confusion & frustration.

This feels like a step backward in UI/UX.

Thanks,
    long-time 1Password evangelist

• PeterG_1P
    edited April 2022

Hi @nchristian. 👋 Thanks for this thoughtful feedback. I have passed this along to our development team, so they can consider the use case you've outlined here. I can't promise anything in particular vis-a-vis this feature for upcoming 1Password releases, but do want you to know that your feedback is getting heard.

Thanks again for taking the time to lay this out in detail, and we'll hope to find a solution that addresses the challenge.

ref: IDEA-I-292

• GaTechThomas
    GaTechThomas
    Community Member

This is confusing. On my work computer just this week I set the default vault. Now today on my home computer I'm finding that I cannot set a default vault. Not looking for an explanation of why the differences, just want consistent functionality when I use 1Password. A brand should equal consistency - Heinz ketchup tastes like Heinz ketchup every time; if it didn't then I wouldn't use it. It's these sorts of things that make people move to new products.

As a specific suggestion for the issue at hand, I'd be happy with being required to choose a vault every time rather than finding later that something saved to the local private vault on one machine and now on my phone I have to jump through hoops to find it. It really seems like it's at least 3 different things - OS-level app, browser app, and phone app. 3Password it is.

Additional comment: After typing all of the above, I copied the text just in case. I'm glad I did, because I clicked the button to post the comment, and it had me log in, which lost everything I had just typed. This is a problem. The negatives to dealing with 1Password are adding up.

• Hello @GaTechThomas, thanks for your message and feedback here. We understand that consistency is important and I've included your thoughts here in our internal feature request we're tracking.

ref: IDEA-I-292

As a specific suggestion for the issue at hand, I'd be happy with being required to choose a vault every time rather than finding later that something saved to the local private vault on one machine and now on my phone I have to jump through hoops to find it.

While not required, the ability to select a vault the where the item is saved can be selected when creating a new item by clicking the account/vault button at the bottom of the window before saving the item:

It really seems like it's at least 3 different things - OS-level app, browser app, and phone app. 3Password it is.

We appreciate your feedback here about the experience across platforms and devices. While I can't provide any timelines, we're excited for the future releases of 1Password 8 for iOS and Android and how this will help to align the use experience.

After typing all of the above, I copied the text just in case. I'm glad I did, because I clicked the button to post the comment, and it had me log in, which lost everything I had just typed.

I'm sorry for any frustration this may have caused. Thanks for your feedback here, I'll get this reported this to the appropriate team.

• Hi @GaTechThomas!

Sorry for the troubles you had with the loss of the details typed when signing in. We've passed your feedback along and were curious if you recall any troubles with a draft of your message being saved? All drafts should be saved here: https://1password.community/drafts

• mjm65
    mjm65
    Community Member

Adding to the chorus requesting a default vault for all new logins.

• @mjm65 – The option to set a default vault is available in Beta as of a couple of weeks ago: https://releases.1password.com/windows/beta/#1password-for-windows-8.9.10-9

You can switch to the Beta channel through 1Password's Settings > Advanced tab > Release channel.

Hope that helps! :)

• johann_koebbe
    johann_koebbe
    Community Member

@GreyM1P Woot woot!

• Hello @johann_koebbe - great news indeed!

Many customers have been missing this feature and I'm glad Grey was able to point to the Beta. If you run into any troubles with this feature or notice anything else you'd like to report, join us in our beta forum.

Have a great day!

This discussion has been closed.