Copy passwords under pure Wayland

ccakes
ccakes
Community Member

I'm running 1Password on linux under pure Wayland (no XWayland) and for the most part it "just works" - the only thing missing is actually copying items using the in-app Copy function. Doing so results in this error

ERROR 2021-06-22T08:14:57.096 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(11)) [1P:op-app/src/app/backend.rs:184] AppError { error: <redacted>, human_readable_label: None, cause: None }
(node:5536) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: {"error":"OpeningClipboard(X11ClipboardError(XcbConn(ClosedParseErr)))","humanReadableLabel":null}
(Use `1password --trace-warnings ...` to show where the warning was created)
(node:5536) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Unhandled promise rejection. This error originated either by throwing inside of an async function without a catch block, or by rejecting a promise which was not handled with .catch(). To terminate the node process on unhandled promise rejection, use the CLI flag `--unhandled-rejections=strict` (see https://nodejs.org/api/cli.html#cli_unhandled_rejections_mode). (rejection id: 2)
(node:5536) [DEP0018] DeprecationWarning: Unhandled promise rejections are deprecated. In the future, promise rejections that are not handled will terminate the Node.js process with a non-zero exit code.

I'm guessing because 1Password uses an X11 clipboard API which isn't available in Wayland. I know this setup is officially unsupported but since it /mostly/ works, it'd be awesome to get this last little bit done!

wayland 1.19
wayland-protocols 1.21
sway 1.6
wl-clipboard 2.0.0

1Password Version: 8.0.34
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Arch Linux
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Dayton_ag
    edited June 2021

Hey @ccakes, thanks so much for bringing this to our attention! I've reached out to the Development team to pass this feedback along and to see what can be done in this case. Let me know if you have any questions! :smile:

ref: /dev/core/core/#8258

• ccakes
    ccakes
    Community Member

Thanks for the response! For anyone having the same issue, you can edit the item and copy-paste fine from those input fields. It's only the built-in copy function that doesn't work :)

• Oooh, awesome! Thanks for sharing that workaround! :smile:

• uhlajs
    uhlajs
    Community Member

This is the only issue I have on Wayland only environment.

• Thanks for the helpful info, @uhlajs. We appreciate it!

• layeggistrue
    layeggistrue
    Community Member

Unfortunately this workaround stopped working for me at some point in recent months. I'm no longer able to copy via the Copy button or by switching to edit and copying manually. I'm forced to use the browser extension to actually copy anything.

• Hi @layeggistrue - may I ask what OS and what version of the 1Password for Linux app you're currently running? I'd be happy to check this out further.

• layeggistrue
    layeggistrue
    Community Member

Archlinux, with Sway. 1Password 8.4.1, run via "1password --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=wayland"

• Thanks for pointing this out. I hadn't thought of this problem way back when I posted the instructions for running 1Password in Wayland, but one of our engineers does know about.

Last month we were working on getting 1Password working flawlessly in Wayland. Unfortunately, we had some significant regressions in Electron at the time and weren't able to move forward. At this moment, we're waiting for a particular feature to get merged into the Electron mainline, and we have a lot of attention on another major project, but I think that I will be able to get the Wayland port done shortly after that one feature merges.

• Goldgamer
    Goldgamer
    Community Member

Can someone help me? 1Password is crashing on starting:
    hastebin.com/zuxufawujo.coffeescript

• Savanni
    edited January 2022

Hi, @goldgamer. Unfortunately, we can't help you at the moment. That is the exact problem we were facing. Right now I'm hoping that a new version of Electron will fix this problem, but I may eventually need to debug the Electron source itself.

Basically for now, the only solution is to drop the --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=wayland parameters and run in XWayland mode.

• Goldgamer
    Goldgamer
    Community Member
    edited January 2022

@Savanni still thanks!

• On behalf of Savanni you're very welcome. :)

Ben

• sdmcclain
    sdmcclain
    Community Member

From reading a similar issue in the Signal Desktop app (also Electron-based), it looks like the upstream fix has landed in Electron https://github.com/signalapp/Signal-Desktop/issues/5719#issuecomment-1083555346

@Savanni , @Ben , do you think your team will be able to prioritize updating 1Password to use this Electron version? :pray: :fingers-crossed:

• We ran some experiments with that last week, immediately after 18.1 landed. Everything was great until we realized that Electron 18 was broken for the Arm Linux build. So, we're holding off just a bit longer until the Arch Linux build is working again, too.

Basically, we're watching for this bug to be fixed: https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/33533

• 0x000
    0x000
    Community Member

Any progress here? https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/33533 seems fixed

• Claudi
    Claudi
    Community Member

I understand that this may be an Electron thing, but copying stuff is one of the key features of a password manager.
    I’ve been basically unable to use my 1Password app properly for the better part of 2022 because of this.

Is a fix for this still on the roadmap?

• sdmcclain
    sdmcclain
    Community Member

I am also not able to copy from the 1Password app, would love to see this get addressed soon.

1password-beta-8.9.8_1.BETA-1
    wayland-1.21.0-1
    wayland-protocols-1.27-1
    wlroots-0.15.1-6
    sway-1:1.7-9
    wl-clipboard-1:2.1.0-2
    electron-20.0.3-3
    electron19-19.0.13-3
    electron18-18.3.9-3

• Hi folks, I apologize for our delay in responding here. I've reached out to the relevant team to get an update on this issue.

Ali

• Claudi
    Claudi
    Community Member

@AliH1P Any news about the issue?
    I really miss being able to copy and paste from the app.

• Hey @Claudi, we don't currently have any updates to share regarding this issue. I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

Ali

• Claudi
    Claudi
    Community Member

Thanks @AliH1P for following up, and happy holidays!

• You're most welcome and Happy Holidays to you as well @Claudi 😄

I'll be sure to provide an update as soon as we have more to share regarding this issue. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Ali

• Claudi
    Claudi
    Community Member

I’ve been locked out of my bank account.

For a few seconds, I must have forgotten that copying from the 1Password app doesn’t work. So I made the mistake of clicking the Copy button, unaware that it wouldn’t do anything. Instead, some old text must have remained on the clipboard, ending up in the bank’s password field when I pasted it. After three failed attempts, the bank locked me out.

I acknowledge that that blunder is entirely on me, not the app’s fault.
    Having said that:

I’m absolutely willing to pay a bounty for the copy bug to be fixed.

Any news as to this issue’s current priority?

• smgt
    smgt
    Community Member

I would also like this to be fixed. I need to copy passwords from either op or browser extension and right now.

• Hey @Claudi and @smgt, thanks for your comments and I understand the importance of this feature. I'm sorry to say that we still don't have any news or updates to share at this time - I'll be sure to pass your comments along to the relevant team.

Ali

• Claudi
    Claudi
    Community Member

Hi @AliH1P, have you had a chance to report this issue to the UI team yet?

I’ve grown increasingly unhappy about this, even though my avatar picture may suggest otherwise.

• SebTM
    SebTM
    Community Member

Hey @AliH1P @Savanni, any news? Still relevant and makes me increasingly unhappy like @Claudi I would also be willing to pay an extra bounty to the community for a decent/long-term fix. Sadly your apps are not open source (?) so we can't try our-self. I think that should signal how important this topic is for Wayland users I would say...

• smgt
    smgt
    Community Member

This works for me now in wayland. So something have happened. :D

• Claudi
    Claudi
    Community Member

Still no dice for me on the latest 1Password for Linux v8.10.7 under sway.

@smgt Does it work for you from the desktop app, too, or just from the browser extension?
    And would you perhaps mind sharing which Wayland compositor you’re using, and in which version? Thanks!