Windows Hello not being used after a restart

Cartman
Cartman
Community Member

Is anyone else experiencing the new feature of Windows Hello to unlock 1Password after a restart of you computer not working? I turned on that option under Advances settings on two different model computers that have TPM but neither one of them works.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• TheDoctor40
    TheDoctor40
    Community Member

For me it doesn't work properly. It still asks me for my master password. However, once I put that in, it immediately asks for my Windows Hello pin as well. Seems like it is not working completely correctly yet. I do have to add that I am running on the BETA channel, so I'm currently running 8.7.0 (80700012).

• Cartman
    Cartman
    Community Member

Thanks for the feedback. Same thing is happening to me on the Production channel.

• Hey @Cartman and @TheDoctor40:

We've recently released 1Password 8.6.1 to the production channel (and have these improvements in our latest nightlies as well) which offers improved support for more TPM situations. As a first step, would you mind verifying you're on 8.6.1 (if you'd prefer to stay on our beta releases, the fix will be in our next beta release), and after confirming you're up to date, re-enroll in Windows Hello completely for your user account (remove all Hello sign in options then re-add them). Let me know if that improves your state of play!

Just as an additional note, the first launch of 1Password after successfully enabling Enhanced Windows Hello will first ask for your account password, then prompt for Windows Hello. Authenticating to Windows Hello there is part of the set up process, and from that point on Enhanced Windows Hello should be available after 1Password is closed, or you restart your device.

Jack

• TheDoctor40
    TheDoctor40
    Community Member

Hello @Jack.P_1P ,

I prefer to stay on the beta channel, so I will wait for the next release there. Once that comes in, I will re-enroll to Windows Hello.

Just as an additional note, the first launch of 1Password after successfully enabling Enhanced Windows Hello will first ask for your account password, then prompt for Windows Hello. Authenticating to Windows Hello there is part of the set up process, and from that point on Enhanced Windows Hello should be available after 1Password is closed, or you restart your device.

About this bit; to me it seems like in this current release, the setup never fully completes. Because after each restart, I first have to put in my account password, and then the prompt for Windows Hello comes.

I will keep an eye on it in future releases and come to the community again if problems arise.

-Gilbert

• fstorch
    fstorch
    Community Member

I actually started wit 8.61 after upgrading from V7.
    Windows Hello worked after some attempts (Including unchecking TPM, restarting 1PW, checking TPM, restarting) even after a restart of Win10.
    However today it again asked for the Password as Windows Hello was reset.
    Didn't do anything to Windows Hello that could be causing this.
    Franz

• fstorch
    fstorch
    Community Member

Meanwhile two laptops (win 10 and 11) were able to use Hello after restart a bunch of times already.
    Hope it stays fixed.

• Hi folks:

@TheDoctor40:

In that case, we'd be happy to investigate further and get it working for you. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Windows PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

@fstorch:

On occasion, Windows updates or other pending changes may cause the Windows Hello keys to be reset during a restart, and after that happens, you will need to first unlock 1Password with your account password, then authorize with Windows Hello to save the keys again.

Jack

• fstorch
    fstorch
    Community Member

Hi Jack,
    Company laptop with Win10 asked for Password followed by Hello this morning after normal boot.
    Updated a camera driver which required another boot.
    And again Password and Hello was required.
    Sent Diag FWIW.
    Support ID: [#HGR-73443-193]

• fstorch
    fstorch
    Community Member

private laptop worked twice after shutdown and power-up.
    Then a restart was required (anti-virus SW Update) and 1PW required a pw again.

• Hey @fstorch, we've received your email regarding this issue so let's continue our conversation there 👍

Ali

ref: HGR-73443-193

• HyperFox
    HyperFox
    Community Member

I just signed up since this is the EXACT issue I am having in Windows 11. I am on 8.6.1 and ever since the TPM option existed... I get asked for the password everytime. When I enter it, THEN I get the Windows Hello box and can use a fingerprint scanner.

This is really breaking me. It works fine on Windows 10 and Cell but it's broken on my Surface Pro 7+

If you have a solution can you include me in on it? I am stumped!

• TheDoctor40
    TheDoctor40
    Community Member

Hi @Jack.P_1P ,

Sorry, missed your last reply. In the meantime my 1Password has updated to 80700028. Initially it still didn't work, so I turned Windows hello off within 1Password, and then also in Windows 11 itself. I then re-enrolled in Windows, and then turned it back on in 1Password. It now seems to work as intended!

• HyperFox
    HyperFox
    Community Member

I think that may have fixed me to. Thanks for the tip. I will do some further testing.

• Hi folks,

We are continuously improving our Windows Hello with TPM support in each 1Password update as we continue to work with customers that have reported issues with us while also working with Microsoft.

There are two main issues we're aware;

1. Customers that have enrolled with Windows Hello before they enabled TPM (via BIOS/EFI or new hardware), upgrade Windows to 10/11 and/or was configured by IT via group policy

In this case, this is because Windows Hello keys are not in the TPM hardware container that 1Password needs to make it work as the Windows Hello keys were enrolled in the software container instead, this was what tripped us to think TPM was enabled but in reality, the currently enrolled Windows Hello system wasn't using the TPM yet. There isn't a way to migrate these keys from software to hardware automatically, this is a manual process that that has to be done. We're looking to add a support document on this in our settings to clarify this.

The fix for this would be what TheDoctor40 mentioned;

1. Turn off Windows Hello + TPM option first in 1Password, quit and start 1Password as it needs an app restart to disable this. (same for enabling it)
    2. Disable all of Windows Hello options in Windows settings and reboot
    3. Re-enroll Windows Hello support in Windows settings
    4. Enable the 1Password's Windows Hello + TPM support, lock and quit the app. Restart, enter the account password and then authenticate with Windows Hello to start using Hello.

We're still trying to bypass the need to do an app restart + enter account password after enabling the TPM option, we hope to refine this in future updates.

2. Reboots can reset the Windows Hello support in 1Password

This is something that we're working with Microsoft on right now and we're collecting data on this. At the moment, we have some data that shows that on certain computers, restarting instead of shutting down, the TPM state does in fact change. This is why 1Password sometime, or consistently on some setups, resets back to normal account password; if the TPM state has changed, 1Password has to ignore and clear its TPM keys and switch back to the normal unlock process to generate a new TPM key after unlocking.

There is an option in Windows power settings that may be responsible for this and we're currently testing this with affected customers to see its full impact at the moment.

If you want to help us test this as well, please email us at support+windows@1password.com and in the email, please include the following:

1. Your forum username:
    2. The link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/128316/windows-hello-not-being-used-after-a-restart#latest
    3. In the body, mention that you want to help us test a Windows power setting change to see if 1Password and Windows Hello can work across reboots
This discussion has been closed.