SSH Terminal in iOS App

Options
alexclst
alexclst
Community Member
edited May 2022 in SSH

One of the things that is quite nice about the SSH feature of 1Password 8 is that it has made my SSH keys completely mobile; they're the same keys on all the Macs I use now. The keys are shown in the iOS app as well, though just as inert items. A feature that may be worth adding to the iOS app someday is an SSH terminal similar to how there is a web browser built into the app.

With such a feature we can jump into an SSH session to anything our keys are authorized on when away from our desks. Many of the hosts I deal with are configured to disallow password authentication, forcing use of public keys for security purposes. This makes it impossible to log in from anywhere that does not already have an authorized key unless I first add an authorized key from a previously authorized system. 1Password SSH means that technically my iOS devices do now have that authorized key as well. If something goes wrong on a host while I'm running errands, for example, with such a feature I could still jump into hosts to see what is up, which is something I cannot do at the moment.

I just feel that a future feature in the iOS app built on top of the SSH feature in 1Password 8 that is an SSH terminal could be something worth considering.

1Password Version: 8.6.0-26.BETA
Extension Version: 2.2.3
OS Version: macOS 12.2.1

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Both Blink and Prompt are excellent SSH clients on iOS.

You can easily import your SSH keys into those Apps using the clipboard.

Would that be sufficient?

• alexclst
    alexclst
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, it would. But still worth a suggestion to the 1Password devs.

• alexclst
    alexclst
    Community Member
    Options

The main advantage of a built-in feature is that when keys change we wouldn't have to update them manually in the other SSH apps on our iOS devices. But yes, most of the time, copying the keys are sufficient.

• dummptyhummpty
    dummptyhummpty
    Community Member
    Options

@XIII Is there some special way to use the clipboard? I go to my key in 1Password and choose copy on the private key item. However when I choose "Import from clipboard" in Blink, it says "Error parsing private key. invalid format".

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

@dummptyhummpty I might have actually done that before 1Password started supporting SSH...

I'm pretty sure I stored the private key in OpenSSH format myself, but I believe 1Password uses a different format. If that's true it's not just copy/paste; you would first have to convert the key 😢

This discussion has been closed.