deleting members should make the individual's data readonly/individual, not delete data

CamBfromOz
CamBfromOz
Community Member

As an admin the only thing that fills me with fear is that if i remove a member (either accidently or through hack/malice) then all that person's data seems to be deleted with their account.

Would it not be better to make it fall back to a read-only & unsubscribed as an individual account so they could resubscribe as an individual if they wanted. (This is the admin account behaviour on switching out of a family plan from my testing but not for non-admin users.)

Data loss on delete seems like the wrong path to take (to me). Is there a reason to purge people's data on removal from a family account?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @CamBfromOz:

Thanks for your feedback here. This is something we've been discussing internally, and I've shared your thoughts on our internal tracker we have for the topic. While I can't promise anything, we do use feedback like yours to help inform the future of 1Password.

Jack

ref: IDEA-I-319

• Eimy
    Eimy
    Community Member
    edited April 2022

Hello, I’m adding my voice to this issue. We would like to share a 1Password family plan with my boyfriend. But none of us feel safe to do so if the other has the ability to just delete all data of the other in an unrecoverable mode. You never know what can happen if we were to breakup so better be safe than sorry. The ideal would be that the account of another’s member could never be wiped out but just removed from the family to be a standalone account. And the user could start another subscription on its own to continue using it.

I’ve seen mentions of this issue dating back from 2016, do you have any plans on changing this behaviour?

Or maybe a way of sharing a vault between 2 users with individual plans?

• Hi @Eimy:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. While we don't have anything to share, it is something we're absolutely aware of. I've added your thoughts to the internal discussion I referenced above. As it currently stands, if you and your boyfriend would prefer the ability to be unable to delete the others data, using two separate individual accounts would be best. With that said however, there isn't a way of sharing a vault between two separate individual accounts.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.