Too much power in the hands of a family manager (Continuation)

rpaulson
rpaulson
Community Member
edited April 2022 in Families

https://1password.community/discussion/115323/too-much-power-in-the-hands-of-a-family-manager#latest

"This discussion has been closed." = "We don't care about our flawed product... Just use it and sh** up"?

Is that how I should interpret closing the topic where many 1Password users have raised valid concerns about the current product? IMO that's a weird way to appreciate the feedback of your community after raising millions of dollars of additional funding.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited April 2022

As far as I remember the whole discussion (not only in that thread), Agilebits is well aware of the issue with the all-mighty manager and its ability to single-handedly destroy any member account including its private vault.

I remember one of the devs said the current behavior comes from the design of business accounts, where situations like an angry or clueless admin deletes something will not happen. The family account is in its core a re-branded business account with business features removed, so the family accounts inherit the workflow that is intended for business accounts. If an employee leaves, he hands over his tasks, and his accounts are deleted. This is common business practice, but this is not what happens for families, so there needs to be a different workflow designed. This wasn't done yet, and one can only speculate when such a redesign will surface.

I guess the current (may be even exclusive) development focus is the v8 client. If the v8 client is completed and mainly needs only maintenance, I expect work on the above, but not yet.

I also assume priority of this is not top, because from what I get from the media, 1Password increasingly takes focus on business customers, so I expect more business features in the future, not so many private customer features.

• Hi @rpaulson:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. As @Tertius3 touched on (thanks for the assist!), 1Password Families is built off of 1Password Teams, where the owner of the membership is a bit more clearly defined. This is something we continue to investigate, and I hope we can improve the situation here. While I wish I were in a position to promise change on this, I'm not. I've shared your feedback on our internal discussion on this topic as well.

Jack

ref: IDEA-I-319

• rpaulson
    rpaulson
    Community Member
    edited April 2022

Too much power in the hands of a family manager
    rpaulson April 2021 edited April 2021:

I would assume that the "Families Plan" is just a rebranded "Business account", at least from a technical perspective. In a business context the idea of "If you leave the company, you'll loose all your company-related passwords and sensitive data" makes much more sense, hence the admin should have more power than parents in the context of a family (or even a child if it's the tech-savvy person in the family who started the account).

I would love to know what the ratio of family accounts to individual accounts is. As long as it's just a small fraction, and probably even a smaller fraction of family admins who are aware of that problem, there is not much incentive to implement these new features in the near future.

@Jack.P_1P Do you maybe have a number that you could share with us?
    Probably it makes more sense for me to move on to the competition that has solved this issue if there are less than 5% family accounts, which would probably mean there's no incentive at all to fix the issue...

This discussion has been closed.