1password often ends up with multiple instances running (each with its own trayicon)

carpii
carpii
Community Member
edited April 2022 in Linux

I regularly launch the 1password standalone app (using rofi as my launcher). and I also use the Chrome extension too.

Over time I often notice that there are several instances of 1Password running, each one with its own trayicon.
Usually 2 when I notice, but I've also seen 3 on one occasion
These are independant processes, since I can quit one via the tray and it doesn't affect the others, and ps confirms this too.
I have 1Pass settings to 'minimize to tray' instead of quitting.

I haven't yet figured out what causes more than one to appear.
Anyone else seeing this problem? I don't know enough about linux yet to say it's a 1Password problem, or some config issue with my environment/desktop etc.

Can you shed any light on how exactly 1Password decides if there is already an existing instance?
Maybe that will help troubleshoot it

Thanks

1Password Version: 8.6.1
Extension Version: 2.3.2
OS Version: Arch Linux / Latest google-chrome-stable

Comments

• What I've seen before is a bug where if you toggle "keep in system tray" a couple of times, you can create an infinite number of 1Password icons.

I haven't really seen cases in which I have multiple copies of 1Password running (except, of course, when I'm running dev builds). What I do tend to see is a lot of different processes running with a single instance of 1Password. However, what you describe really sounds like multiple independent copies of 1Password.

Our mechanism is built in to Electron, which creates a trio of links in ~/.config/1Password. SingletonCookie and SingletonLock both point to identifiers, not actual files. SingletonSocket points to a socket that should be in your /tmp folder and serves as the communication mechanism for sending CLI parameters to the running desktop app. We haven't done very much with this as its always seemed reliable.

How have you installed 1Password? Is it possible, however far-fetched, that you have more than one copy installed?

• carpii
    carpii
    Community Member
    edited April 2022

Hi @Savanni - thanks for the reply.

I'm using arch linux, and only have a single 1password binary (as far as I can tell anyway).
    This was done via the AUR package - https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/1password

I have however also installed 1password-cli from https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/1password-cli
    I'm not sure this should be an issue though, these are just a bunch of scripts and the package does not bundle a conflicting 1password app binary

Tonight I noticed two 1password systray icons again. One had a lock overlay indicating it needed a password to unlock (confirmed by trying to open it), and the other was already unlocked.
    Not sure what this means exactly, but I assume it demonstrates it's not a systray issue where it's displaying multiple icons for the same underlying process.

I'll see if I can add some inotify to the semaphore files you mention, hopefully that will give some insight into what might be going wrong, or perhaps alert me when a 2nd instance is spawned so I can see a pattern developing

• carpii
    carpii
    Community Member
    edited April 2022

The semaphore files in ~/.config/1Password/Singleton* files are all symlinks

`
    [carpii@beep:~/.config/1Password]$ ls -lhaG Singleton* | cut -d" " -f8,9,10

SingletonCookie -> 12251614063955870704
    SingletonLock -> beep-3492226
    SingletonSocket -> /tmp/scoped_dir1GPzpI/SingletonSocket
    `

The SingletonSocket symlink does point to a valid /tmp file

But SingletonCookie and SingletonLock point to files in the same directory, which do not exist (ie, they are broken symlinks).

Could this be the cause of it?

• Hi @carpii, thanks for the additional information here. We'll be happy to look into this further.

A quick question: what command-line shell are you using on this device? Bash, zsh, something else?

Given that further discussion of this issue likely involves discussing the specifics of your system, I'll invite you to follow up with a brief email to us at support+linux@1Password.com. That way our team can dig into the details and figure out the cause of this for you. 👍

Thanks again for letting us know about this, and we'll look forward to setting it right!

• smgt
    smgt
    Community Member

I’ve also been having this exact problem, also running arch (xorg, i3, zsh). Glad to help out if you need debugging help.

• carpii
    carpii
    Community Member

Thanks Peter, I dropped you an email earlier.

I've just noticed the earlier reply which explains the symnlinks are identifiers and not supposed to be files, so I guess that's not the part of the problem.

I'm using bash, awesomewem and its systray, then xfce (it's desktop component only - no panel).

• PeterG_1P
    edited April 2022

Thank you @carpii - we'll respond over there shortly. 👍

@smgt would you also be able to contact us at support+linux@1Password.com as well? It'd be great for us to start correlating reports on this, since it's not yet clear whether there's a single cause for this or multiple. We'd love to speed the resolution time for everyone affected by the issue!

ref: dev/core/core#14472

• Hey there @smgt, are you by chance using Oh My ZSH? If you are, could you try launching 1Password using a different terminal and let me know if you still see this behavior of multiple 1Password instances popping up?

• carpii
    carpii
    Community Member

@smgt - are you still seeing the multiple instances in systray issue?

I dont recall seeing it for a little while, so maybe it's fixed

I'm now on 1password v8.8.0-203 and 1password-cli v2.7.0-1

• Hi folks! We merged an update to fix this issue a little while back, so it shouldn't be occurring any more.

Of course, if you do encounter the problem, let us know and we'll be happy to jump on it. But with the internal code changes we've made, we expect the issue once known as 2Passwords 2Furious is now a thing of the past.

• carpii
    carpii
    Community Member

@PeterG_1P

Thanks Peter, I thought this might be fixed, but great to hear confirmation of it. Good work :)

• smgt
    smgt
    Community Member

I haven't seen this issue for a long time. Thanks for the update!

• Hey @carpii and @smgt. I'm glad to hear the issue has been resolved for you, thanks for letting us know 😄

This discussion has been closed.