Auto-Lock: Secure Options.

robert1p
robert1p
Community Member

I currently have Auto-lock set to 1 minute after idle; however, that appears to be "my Windows system UI being idle". For example, I open the 1pw app, then go to another app (such that 1pw remains open in the background), and after working on other things for a considerable amount of time, I click on 1pw to find it is still unlocked.

Please consider adding the following options.

• Auto-lock after X minutes of the 1password app being idle.
  • Auto-lock upon closing 1password.

It is easy to forget that 1pw may be sitting open and unlocked. And with the ease of biometric unlocking, it's easy to reopen. Thus, I'd prefer support for more secure Auto-Lock options.

1Password Version: 8.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win10

Comments

• Hello @robert1p, thank you for this considerate suggestion. We have an open feature request with our developers for more fine-grained lock control, so I have added your comments here to our existing discussion of the issue. Thanks for letting us know this a priority for you - I was happy to pass this on!

ref: dev/core/core#9398

• robert1p
    robert1p
    Community Member

What is the definition of "Lock after the system is idle for x minutes." I have my system set for 1 minute, so I expected to find it locked after watching a downloaded Netflix episode. If idle is to mean an idle CPU, this is clearly not helpful as there could be any number of background tasks that might keep the app from locking for extended periods of time.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

The Windows OS determines if the PC is idle and for how long. As far as I remember, the operating system counts the time since the last user interaction (mouse move, keyboard action). There is also a system function to temporarily suspend this timer, usually used by media players who have long running tasks with intended no user interaction. Some games also suspend the idle timer while they run.

I'm curious: why set you an idle timeout to 1 minute? This seems excessive from my point of view - having to unlock some app or even the whole system after I did no user interaction within the last minute would kick in so often and interrupt my work that it would immediately get on my nerves. At home, if I am about to leave the PC, and there are people around, I'm just pressing WIN-L to explicitly lock the PC. At work, this is mandatory policy. An unattended PC must be locked, so even if I just go to the restroom, I press WIN-L. Timeout not even required.

• robert1p
    robert1p
    Community Member

Biometric unlock makes it so simple, it does not effect my workflow. Thus, I'd prefer to have it always lock after use (and reduce the risk). A proper timeout would ensure a distraction never leave you venerable. And while I can always hit Ctrl-Shift-L to lock it after each use, I'd prefer to have it automated.

• Hi @robert1p, thanks again for your response here and providing those updated details - I'll pass these along to the team as well. Have a great day!

This discussion has been closed.