1Password 8 First Impressions and Issues (especially around OTP)

hevak
hevak
Community Member

Hi 1Password team...thanks for the new beta, it definitely looks different from 1Password 7, and in a number of ways it looks better. It also feels stupidly fast in a number of areas, but overall ends up being slower in others because of certain UI/UX choices. From reading the blog post, it seems like the team seems to think that gorgeous is the thing to go for here. I'm here to ask that you don't forget about function, especially in the UI. If anything, I'd advocate that you prioritize function over form, and don't make the same mistake so many are making in UI today (even/especially Apple). Insert the Steve Jobs quote "design is how it works" right here. Way too many UI/UX designers are happy to burn existing designs to the ground and start fresh simply to "make their mark" on a product, even when it's to the product's detriment. Don't fall for this trap. Even 1Password 7's design is pretty great. Fundamentally, you should be striving to minimize the number of taps to get to the information you need. Every tap/interaction added to a task is detrimental to functionality.

One of the things I routinely use 1Password for is noticeably slower on iOS than before simply because they require more taps to get there. Getting to OTP is more taps than it was before, especially if you've favorited the ones you use most, you now have to open the app, tap into favorites, then into the password, then tap again to pop up a menu to copy it. 7 was much better in this regard as it had a screen for favorites you could default to and with one tap expanded a thing under the favorite with the password and OTP, another tap would copy. This is measurably worse in 8. If you're redesigning the UI, why can't you present an easily accessible screen that just shows all your OTPs? Even better would be to let us customize it.

Before you suggest that I enable the feature to place the OTP on the clipboard, I know, but this doesn't help in scenarios where you just need the OTP but aren't logging in on the same device (assume you can't use handoff or universal clipboard). There are many scenarios where an app or site might ask you to confirm just your OTP as well, the clipboard thing doesn't help here. Having quick access to your OTPs does (like what Authy does). 1Password should strive to be as quick as Authy in this area, should the user desire it to be so.

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 15.4.1

Comments

• Hi @hevak

Thank you for taking the time to try out 1Password 8, and for sharing this feedback. 🥳 One of the things we're looking at is the level of customization available on the app's home screen.

A personalized Home tab. All of us have slightly different use cases for our favorite security app, and the new Home tab enables you to set it up just the way you like it. Simply scroll to the bottom of the list, tap on the 🏠 Customize Home button, and you’re off to the races.

Are you a heavy user of tags and want to see them at the top all the time? Go for it. Would you prefer to never see the archive? No problem, just turn it off. We have a lot of ideas about the type of information we can make available to you on this screen, so let us know in the forums what you’d like to see.

I'd love to see us improve the workflow you're describing through additional customizability here. 🙏🏻

Ben

ref: IDEA-I-751 ref: IDEA-I-741

This discussion has been closed.