Beta #13 of 2022 is now available 🍀

Options

Happy beta Tuesday, everyone! 🤗

Today’s beta is lucky number 13. Thankfully there’s no triskaidekaphobia here. Indeed, this release is shaping up to be an excellent candidate of epic proportions. 😉

You can find a full set of changes in our release notes for macOS , Windows , and Linux. Or, select the What’s New item from the feedback menu within the app.

As always, thank you so much for participating in the early access release and helping us to improve 1Password. We couldn't have gotten this far without you and the releases are so much better as a direct result of you. Thank you! 🙏🏻🤗

++dave;
1Password Founder

Comments

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

Hey,

The Preferences window in fullscreen mode is still an issue. - Just noting, not complaining.

• Ben
    Options

Hey @rctneil

A fix for this has been written (and merged) but it looks like it didn't make it into the beta. I'm unable to get the preferences window to go into full screen mode on the nightly build. 😃

Ben

ref: dev/core/core#14249

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Ben

• Ben
    Options

Sure thing. 😃 Thanks for keeping us on our toes.

Ben

• kebel87
    kebel87
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, if I download the beta, I get that I'll eventually have to delete it and reinstall v8 GM thru the App Store for convenience. Am I getting it right? Thanks!

• Hi @kebel87:

Great question! While you're more than welcome to switch to the stable release of 1Password 8 for Mac when it launches, we'd love to have you stay in our beta family long after the initial launch. We've got some exciting things planned for the future, and staying with our beta releases will ensure that you're one of the first to see our cool new features. 😀

Jack

• kebel87
    kebel87
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Jack.P_1P , I went ahead and installed v8 beta. I’m very happy I did, you guys did a tremendous job!!

Now if only I could get an open spot on iOS test flight 😆. I keep refreshing the invite until someone leave the program and there’s an open spot.

• Hey @kebel87:

Glad to hear you like 1Password 8 so much! 😁

We're absolutely thrilled at how excited everyone is about 1Password 8 for iOS! We are planning on removing inactive testers from the TestFlight, where inactive is defined as never having installed the app from TestFlight or not having updated the app in two weeks. Keep an eye out for an open slot!

Jack

• xylemphloem
    xylemphloem
    Community Member
    Options

Does not work with Explorelearning.com login window. Clicking the inline 1password icon does not bring up login options. I do have the website info entered correctly into 1password. Running the latest nightly beta.

• hvarun87
    hvarun87
    Community Member
    Options

under preferences, Security > "Lock this computer after the computer is idle for" setting, 15 mins is default.. once we change it to something else.. 15 mins doesn't show up on the list.

• Hi @hvarun87:

We recently changed the available lock options, and while 15 minutes would have stayed available for you until you changed it, it's no longer available as an option. I can definitely share your thoughts internally if you'd like to see 15 minutes make a return though.

Jack

• ACSpooky
    ACSpooky
    Community Member
    Options

I must say that the way you don't handle updates if someone doesn't turn on automatic updates is pretty poor. I signed up for v. 8 as soon as you made it available. I removed v. 7 from all my machines a couple of months ago and use v. 8 exclusively. Every day. Many, many, times a day. And yet no notice that there was an update available. The first indication that one existed is this message. Even though 1 Password 8 did not quit immediately, it might as well have because the only menu option that worked was the About. No Check for Updates or link to the page to download an update. ??!!

I don't do automatic updates. Of anything on any platform. Why is there no option to notify of updates like most softwares have?

• PeterG_1P
    edited April 2022
    Options

Hi @ACSpooky, thank you for raising this issue. I'd like to understand how we can better help here.

the only menu option that worked was the About. No Check for Updates or link to the page to download an update.

I do apologize that your software ended up in this state. I can understand your point, as well, and have filed an issue with our developers to determine how we can make it easier to get out of that situation (update button? link to the website? something else?) if a person ends up there. Thank you for the prompt to do so.

ref: dev/core/core#14598

I don't do automatic updates. Of anything on any platform.

May I ask why? Automatic updates are considered a security best-practice for most people, unless there's a particular reason not to. If you have such a use case, we'd be happy to learn more about it (and you can email us at support@1Password.com if it involves details of your setup, to ensure your privacy).

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2022
    Options

May I ask why?

I’ll give you a few of my personal reasons.

1. I want to read the release notes first, to know what known issues or limitations might be present in the update

2. I want to control when the update occurs, not have it control my work. Too many update frameworks yank the screen and focus away from me, 1Password’s being one of the most egregious offenders. Not only does it steal the screen / focus, it does so twice. Software should never do this.

3. I want to know when updates are available, so I can apply them uniformly across our systems. Auto-updates often have phased rollouts, and this means our systems will have different software versions sometimes for days or weeks.

4. Auto-updates generally have no awareness of when it is unacceptable to run. This is a larger issue than (2) above, and can be a huge problem when reboots are automatically performed, or the software terminates and restarts itself.

Auto updating is good for home users, who would otherwise never perform updates. For the rest of us, not so much. Too many times bitten by overzealous software-updaters or indifferent company practices wrt users.

• dteare
    Options

Those are great points. Thanks for sharing them.

1Password 7 was indeed an egregious offender of stealing window focus for updates. We made the updater in 8 much more polite as we now nudge you with an in-app notification and will automatically update when 1Password restarts. This doesn’t solve all your requirements, but it’s a step in the right direction.

@ACSpooky: I’m sorry that happened to you. It’s very annoying and I hope to do better there in the future. With that said, for an unreleased early access build of 1Password, you really need to have automatic updates enabled. Either that or stick with the official release. We only show that expired window for betas and nightly releases.

++dave;
    1Password Founder

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

@dteare 1Password 7's updated wasn't polite by stealing the focus but at least it gave the user a short moment to abort the download and showed the release notes in advance. 1Password 8 is following the Borg's way - "resistance is futile". It updates in the background without any way to know what the update might contain and even worse without any chance to skip an update. In my opinion it's worse than stealing focus.

• dteare
    edited April 2022
    Options

I'm sorry to hear that you don't like the new approach, @viswiz. I find it leaps and bounds better myself.

When it comes to updates, I think the Borg got it right. Resistance is futile.

++dave;
    1Password Founder

This discussion has been closed.