Search Textbox: Substring matching and Tags

Options
mmurrell
mmurrell
Community Member

Hello -

I have recently become a 1Password convert and am enjoying the product. However, there are a opportunities for improvement to search that I believe would be tremendously valuable:

1 - When doing a substring search it doesn't often return the results I would expect. It looks like substrings are supported, but maybe if it were splitting on upper-cased letters. For example, if I have an entry named 'Salesforce XYZ', then searching for 'force' returns zero results; however if the entry was named 'SalesForce XYZ' then searching for 'force' returns the expected result. -- Is there an option to enable full text or substring based search?

2 - Is it possible (or would it be possible) to index tags as well? I have created tags for all the various environments ('prod', 'dev', and 'qa') and labeled passwords as such. I have two passwords, 'SalesForce XYZ' tagged 'prod', and 'SalesForce XYZ' tagged 'qa' and would like to search for 'force qa' and try to return the related item.

Thanks in advance.
Matt

1Password Version: 8.6.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10

Comments

• PeterG_1P
    edited April 2022
    Options

Hello @mmurrell, thank you for joining us - we're so glad to have you!

Many thanks for the suggestions here as well. I'll respond in the order in which you've offered them:

When doing a substring search it doesn't often return the results I would expect. It looks like substrings are supported, but maybe if it were splitting on upper-cased letters.

This is basically right. It's called "Camel case", and 1Password 8 is currently able to differentiate substrings when that's present (as in the Salesforce example you mentioned above). There were a number of considerations that went into this. One of our developers, Rob, discussed this in another forum thread not too long ago. He said:

The main thing that is complicating the effort right now is handling Unicode. We're trying to make sure that search works for all users, not just English-speaking users. Unfortunately, addressing the complexities of searching with Unicode characters has had the effect of making plain old ASCII search worse.

I'm confident we can overcome the challenges, but it's going to take time and effort. And while it feels like a step backwards, I do like that we're starting with a foundation that supports other languages well and building and optimizing from there, rather than treating other languages as second class.

So, long story short, we went with this approach in order to best serve as many people as possible, but we're looking for ways to improve wherever we can, too. Thanks for letting us know this was something that stuck out to you. 👍

Is it possible (or would it be possible) to index tags as well?

As far as I know this should already be implemented in the app. For example, you should be able to search "SalesForce XYZ qa" and press Enter, and it should bring you to the appropriately-tagged item. I'd suspect that if this is not the case for you, you might be running into the limitations of the substring search feature as we've discussed above.

But let me know either way - we'll be happy to incorporate your feedback and keep improving the app. And again, we're grateful that you've taken time here to do so already! Welcome once again 👋

• Hey @mmurrell:

I've got a bit of good news for you! In our latest nightly (80901013), we've added some additional substring matching to search:

If you'd like to select your qa tagged Salesforce entry, search for =tag:qa force

Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

This discussion has been closed.