1Password 8 Beta: Setting a Default Vault as an app-wide context

khaaan
khaaan
Community Member

Hi 1Password Team,

In 1Password 7, the upper-left corner icon shows your current context and lets you edit it: either All Vaults, a 1Password.com account, or a specific vault. This ability to set an app-wide context made vaults extremely useful. I could create separate vaults for family members whose items I don't normally need to see, as well as archived vaults for older passwords that I no longer require on a daily basis.

Will this vault toggle be coming to 1Password 8? (And, with it, the ability to set the default vault on launch?)

The new Beta is very interesting overall, and I'm glad to see so much of the design coordinated across iOS and Mac! iOS performance is very nice as well. Face ID login in particular feels much faster.

Thanks,
Khaaan

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 15.4.1
Referrer: forum-search:1password 8 beta

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Maybe I misunderstand, but 1Password 8 uses Vault Collections now (set of vaults):

• You can define Vault Collections in the Settings tab
    • You can select such a Vault Collection by tapping on the avatar in the top left corner of the Home tab
  • khaaan
    khaaan
    Community Member

Thanks - this is exactly what I was looking for! So to get the behavior from 1Password 7, I need to define a new collection for each vault that I want in this menu?

Could there be a link in the top-left menu to “Manage Collections” so that people can discover this?

• Yes indeed, @khaaan , that’s how it works. I have a collection called Daily Driver that contains only the vaults I typically use from my family account and my AgileBits account:

It’s a good idea to link to “Manage Collections” from the user menu, and I’ve filed issue #14603 to track it.

ref: dev/core/core#14603

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

@MrRooni Any specific reason for having a separate HomeKit vault (which does not seem to be shared with anyone)?

(I currently have HomeKit credentials in my personal vault and I wonder whether I’m missing something)

• Nah, no special reason other than to have a place to collect them all. Now if we had a proper HomeKit item type, I might put them in the main vault that I share with Carrie… Nothing to announce on that front yet, though. 😉

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

"yet"...

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.