Recover lost one-time-password

Options

A few days ago, I used 1password to setup the 2nd factor on https://ads.tiktok.com. 1P read the QR code, gave a code to verify, and I saved that 2nd factor in TikTok. But when I went to login the next day, 1P had no OTP for TikTok. In fact, there is not even any history showing the item had been changed. TikTok has no obvious way to reset the 2nd factor and their support form is completely unresponsive. Is there anyway to find that lost OTP in 1password?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @tylercal! Sorry about the issue with 2FA for your TikTok login. Just to check, do you have multiple TikTok logins? Have you signed in to 1Password.com and looked for your login there?

We haven't had reports of any related issues with 2FA or TikTok logins. I'm wondering if things didn't save correctly. If they weren't, there won't be a way to retrieve the OTP. However, I do recommend checking your vaults thoroughly in your account at 1Password.com to make sure. Your account at 1Password.com will have your most up to date information.

• tylercal
    tylercal
    Community Member
    Options

That’s too bad. Yes, unfortunately I checked every vault, every instance, and every login entry (there as multiple), but none have a saved OTP.

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2022
    Options

@tylercal

If you are using a membership it might be worth checking previous versions. It could be a long shot, but it never hurts to check. 👀 💾 View and restore previous versions of items

You might think I am silly, but I alway screenshot the setup code and include that as an attachment in 1Password. That way if I ever need to setup a second device I can. I started doing this years ago when I needed to add the same code generator to a relatives phone. It has stuck with me to this day.

• tylercal
    tylercal
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, I used to do the screenshot too, but 1p had gotten so reliable, I stopped. I did also go through all the history of the TikTok items to no avail, but I’ll take a second look.

• tylercal
    tylercal
    Community Member
    Options

I went back through and found it in the deleted items! I guess I had scanned the OTP into an account we're no longer managing. Thankfully all this happened in the last month and it was still there. Thanks for the nudge @ag_tommy!!

• Thanks for letting us know the good news, @tylercal .

I will share it with Tommy as well.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

This discussion has been closed.