1Password for Linux... but not on armv8

2»

Comments

• mikesilva
    mikesilva
    Community Member
    edited March 2022

Well, this news is all kinds of awesome. Thanks for getting the toolchain and code building for ARM-64!

• damo
    damo
    Community Member

Thanks @PeterG_1P . Will try this out.

• bootc
    bootc
    Community Member

@PeterG_1P Yep, I'd like to second @ssgelm's suggestion of packages please. Also the tarball doesn't contain the after-install.sh script so 1Password doesn't work very well out of the box. I have't yet tried to see if the x86 version of the script would work to fix up the aarch64 version though.

• bootc
    bootc
    Community Member

After putting the 1password.desktop and icons in the right place, chowning all of /opt/1Password to root:root, then running after-install.sh from the x86 beta version of 1Password... it all seems to work fine, including the browser integration. Some Debian packages would be really nice to not have to bother with all this and have it be self-updating via Apt, though. Otherwise, it seems to Just Work so far!

• Thank you for this feedback, @bootc - and you're correct about the after-install.sh script. We've filed an issue to address this. Thank you for highlighting it here, as well as sharing the steps that worked for you!

• balupton
    balupton
    Community Member

@PeterG_1P the install instructions from your link still reference x86_64 and amd64 - and there are no references to arm64 - which install instructions exactly are compatible with arm64, as right now it is unclear.

• balupton
    balupton
    Community Member

Okay, the undocumented URL for arm64 is:

https://downloads.1password.com/linux/tar/beta/aarch64/1password-latest.tar.gz

• balupton
    balupton
    Community Member

Not sure why my replies keep getting auto-deleted....

• Hi @balupton, thanks for this. I'm not sure what happened with that link - I believe it did provide accurate info at the time I posted it. 🤔 Perhaps because it's only showing more recent Beta versions at this point. I'll look into it!

Thank you for providing the link to the ARM64 build so that folks who are coming to the forum at this point can find it. 💪

• balupton
    balupton
    Community Member
    edited April 2022

So all my prior comments have been auto-deleted. The install instructions do not work as there is no after-install.sh file included in the tar gz, despite it being in the amd64 tar gz.

• balupton
    balupton
    Community Member

Here's my go at at a cross-operating system installer:

https://github.com/bevry/dorothy/blob/master/commands/setup-util-1password

• balupton
    balupton
    Community Member

Okay, I'm a fool. I never noticed that there were multiple pages, and I was replying on page 1 yet my replies were going to page 2.

• sammck
    sammck
    Community Member

This is wonderful. It appears that the debian dpkg repository option is not yet available for ARM. I followed the instructions for "other distributions", but replaced x86_64 with aarch64 in the download URL:

curl -sSO https://downloads.1password.com/linux/tar/beta/aarch64/1password-latest.tar.gz

That nearly worked except the "after-install.sh" script is missing from the aarch64 bundle. I copied that script from the x86_64 bundle and ran it, and it did not complain. I was able to launch the app and login. I have not yet tested browser integration.

• Thank you for sharing your results with this, @sammck. We look forward to further building out the packaging for this, and generally smoothing your experience. 🚀

• balupton
    balupton
    Community Member

@PeterG_1P any udpates on the after-install.sh issue?

• balupton
    balupton
    Community Member

Okay, seems it is there now. Will update my installer now to try again:

• balupton
    balupton
    Community Member

Okay, installs fine via:

However:

1. the onepassword:// deeplinks aren't being recognised on ubuntu desktop 22.04, as such had to do the "enter details manually" option instead of say the "1password.com" option
    2. because no 1password app is added to the ubuntu app launched, 1password app has to be invoked via the 1password terminal command, and its desktop icon is generic

Haven't yet tested the browser integration.

• ssgelm
    ssgelm
    Community Member

Any update on plans for an arm64 deb package? Would really make things easier...

• AliH1P
    edited November 2022

Hey @ssgelm, we don't currently have anything to share regarding an arm64 deb package. With that said, I've gone ahead and added your voice to an internal feature request to further highlight user interest. Thanks!

Ali

ref: IDEA-I-2248

This discussion has been closed.