Could 1Password be savvy to an app like Audirvana?

Options
thought_police
thought_police
Community Member

Okay, so, this might be a strange question, but there is reasoning behind it.

I use an application called Audirvana Studio to play music on my two Macs. This application plays digital music files very much better than the standard MacOS in my experience.

The way the licensing works for Audirvana is that you can use it on two Macs but you have to sign out of the app on one Mac then sign in to it again on the other. It is a drag actually if would be so much better if the company just allowed you to use it on as many Macs as you have without any restrictions, like 1Password, however, they don't do that.

Fortunately the signing out is automatic, so all you ever have to do is sign in to the app when you change the Mac that you are using it on.

So, this is were 1Password comes in.

I keep the login details for Audirvana in 1Password of course. However when I launch Audirvana and I have to sign in then I have to search 1Password for Audirvana to get the details. It would be great if 1Password were able to treat the Audirvana app like a web-page and automatically locate the login details. Of course 1Password is like that on the iOS.

It seems that 1Password does have a go at finding the app on the Mac OS because when I open 1Password from the menu bar after opening Audirvana Studio then it does have "Suggestions - audirvanastudio" at the top but it hasn't any actual suggestions, I still have to enter Audirvana in the search field at the top to find the login details.

I thought that if I created a URL entry in the login "https://audrivanastudio.com" that might enable 1Password to find the login details itself, but it doesn't. That URL doesn't go anywhere on the web actually.

However it seems that, yes, 1Password is picking up a name for the app of "audirvanastudio" but I don't know how to make that login locatable for 1Password.

1Password Version: 7.94
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1

Comments

• Hello @thought_police! πŸ‘‹

You can certainly have 1Password mini suggest your login for a Mac app like "Audirvana Studio". Each app on the Mac has a "bundle ID" that you can add to 1Password so that it identifies the app as being associated with a particular login item. Please try these steps:

1. Open Terminal on your Mac.
    2. Type in **osascript -e 'id of app "nameofapp"' ** (replacing "nameofapp" with the name of the app that you're trying to associate with a login item). This will give you a bundle ID in the form of com.company.application.
    3. Add the bundle ID to the website URL field of the login item that you wish to associate with that app using this format: app://com.company.application

Let me know if you run into any issues. 😊

• thought_police
    thought_police
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave

That has worked great thank you!

I have added that to my Devonthink database of useful computer info.

It I need to sign in to the Audirvana Studio app about twice a day and having it made just a little bit simpler is very nice.

• @thought_police

I'm happy to hear that I was able to help. 😊

This discussion has been closed.