How can I unlock everything at once and with Touch ID?

Options
chmars2022
chmars2022
Community Member

Is there any way to unlock the local app, all browser extensions and all vaults at once and with Touch ID?

I have 1Password.app with a local vault plus two additional vaults in family / team setups. I can unlock the app with Touch ID (or the local vault password) but not the browser extensions. So I unlock the app with Touch ID, copy my passwords for the other setups in order to copy and paste them in the browser extensions. Doing that a few times a day is rather annoying, especially given that everything is 1Password and given that Touch ID should be available.

In the past, it was possible to unlock everything with entering my password once in the local app.

1Password Version: 7.9.4
Extension Version: 2.3.2
OS Version: MacOS 12.3.1

Comments

• massyc
    massyc
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also no longer able to unlock the 1Password browser extension using the Touch ID and also unlocking the app the browser extension doesn't unlock. I'm currently using Firefox.

Any tip on how to solve it and restore the previous situation?

Thanks

• Hi @chmars2022 / @massyc :

Since unlocking 1Password for Mac should unlock the browser extension, it sounds like 1Password for Mac may not be communicating properly with 1Password in your browser. Just as a quick first step, completely quit both 1Password for Mac and your browser.

To completely quit 1Password for Mac: Open 1Password and click the 1Password menu. Hold down the Control and Option keys on your keyboard and select “Quit 1Password Completely”.

Relaunch 1Password and your browser, and let me know if that improves the state of play for you both. If you're still running into trouble, we can definitely investigate further.

Jack

• massyc
    massyc
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Jack.P_1P
    completely quit 1Password and restarting the browser fixed the issue.
    Thanks so much!

Massimiliano

P.S. with 1Password 7.9.4 holding down control and option keys doesn't change the 1Password menu, instead I selected the "Completely Disconnect from 1Password" menu item and it worked fine.

• Hey @massyc:

Glad to hear that sorted it out! Please get in touch if you run into any trouble in the future.

Jack

• chmars2022
    chmars2022
    Community Member
    Options

Quitting 1Password completely and restarting the browser worked for Safari but not for Chrome. An obvious differences is that in Safari, all vaults (local and in the cloud) are visible while in Chrome, only the vaults in the cloud are visible. Since unlocking the local app is based on the local vault, that might cause the issue. It does still not explain why Touch ID does not work in Chrome for 1Password.

• Hey @chmars2022:

We'll need to take a closer look at how 1Password is currently set up on your Mac. Can you send us a diagnostics report from your device?

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com (change the 'To:' address to this one from the default). With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• chmars2022
    chmars2022
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I will provide further information. Could you please confirm that Touch ID is supposed to work with 1Password in Chrome?

• @chmars2022

If your device supports the feature and you are using the needed pieces, yes, it should work. Those additional details will help us determine all of that.

An obvious differences is that in Safari, all vaults (local and in the cloud) are visible

Sounds as if you are using a standalone vault and a membership. The extension in Safari would support this configuration. 1Password in the browser does not support this configuration. * See below

while in Chrome, only the vaults in the cloud are visible.

Sounds as if you are using 1Password in the browser. This is (extension) a membership vaults only extension.

Since unlocking the local app is based on the local vault.

Again this is because of the standalone vault. We suggest moving all of your data into your membership and removing the standalone vault (Primary). Once this is complete you'll unlock using the password you set for 1Password.com.

Please reach out to my colleagues and we'll help walk you through the process.

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2022
    Options

@chmars2022

Also, check within 1Password in the browsers settings and make sure Integrate with the 1Password app is enabled. Please reach out to us and we will help with those vaults before data gets saved incorrectly to one and not the other. Down the road this could lead to extra work to resolve the situation. Better to catch it now.

• chmars2022
    chmars2022
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I appreciate it!

• 👍

• chmars2022
    chmars2022
    Community Member
    Options

[#LKT-35472-721]

• Thanks so much @chmars2022 ! Someone from the Support Team will be in contact with you as soon as possible.

ref: LKT-35472-721

• chmars2022
    chmars2022
    Community Member
    Options

**Issue solved!
    Paul from your support team was kind enough to point me to the https://support.1password.com/could-not-connect/ guide, i.e., the issue was a missing native messaging folder. Good to know for the future!

The response time, here in the forum and from your support team, was great too. Some users might complain that 1Password is expensive, but in a situation like that, it is helpful that you can afford this kind of support level.

• @chmars2022

That's fantastic! I'm happy to hear that my colleague Paul was able to help you resolve the issue. 😊

This discussion has been closed.