Reopen "1Passowrd CLI is very flow"

Options
bevis
bevis
Community Member

Recently I upgraded my 1Password to version 8. It becomes more beautiful and much easier to use btw, and thanks for your good job.
Then I found that I could integrate 1Password with SSH. It works well. I'm very excited, and then I'd like to try something more. I wanted to integrate it with my AWS credentials within .aws/config.credential_process, and then

The problem's coming. The op item get command spent over 15 seconds loading the values. Is anything wrong with my config? Then I found the old topics which have already discussed the performance problem:

https://1password.community/discussion/97545/first-time-using-1p-cli-0-5-4-why-is-this-so-slow
https://1password.community/discussion/121911/cli-commands-are-very-slow

Refer the recommendations in the above discussions, I added --cache arg, and it was down to 5 seconds.

My questions:

1. Do you think 15 seconds and 5 seconds with a cache arg are reasonable? I need to wait 5+ seconds more for each single AWS command. Is it reasonable? What is the value of 1Password-CLI existence?
  2. rensa said: "We generally cannot assume that this data exists (op might run on a machine without another 1Password client)." Can't you detect whether the data exists? It is already integrated with 1Password UI to help users to unlock with biometrics, and there is also an SSH integration there. Why don't you do a bit furthermore?

I've used 1Password for many years. I always believe your team is the best. You are a leader in the world of technology. But now, I'm very disappointed.

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1
Referrer: forum-search:1Passowrd CLI is very flow

Comments

• Ryan Parman
    Ryan Parman
    Community Member
    Options

This is a poor tool for AWS credentials.

Specifically for AWS credentials, a MUCH better tool (IMO) is to use AWS Vault. It does good things like support STS session tokens by default, and even supports more enterprise-y features like AWS SSO.

• KayleighC1P
    KayleighC1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @bevis,

It is a indeed a little unusual for an op item get command to take 15 seconds absent a networking issue. Can you go into a little more on what steps you're taking and what you're seeing?

• bevis
    bevis
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @keith.craig,

I don't think I'm taking any different steps, except I'm accessing the 1Password server from China. With or without a VPN are the same. But under the VPN I can access Google/YouTube or other common websites in one second.

And kindly remind you that in this link - CLI commands are very slow Rensa also mentioned he took 10-15 seconds to run an op command.

• Hey there @bevis ,

We have also had a few other complaints about the performance of op item get recently after the 2.0.0 release.

Do note that this is important to us, and we have an investigation going on to identify the issue and optimize the command.

For the time being, may I ask how many vaults you have, and roughly how many items you have on your account? If it is a business/team account then an approximation of the vaults/items you have access is fine as well.

Also, I am not sure if you are using the --vault flag to specify the vault or not, but I can confidently say that using the flag will reduce the number of API calls made to the server greatly, and generally speed up commands. Please give that a try for now and let us know if that changes anything performance-wise.

• bevis
    bevis
    Community Member
    Options

@Justin.Yoon_1P

• That the CLI version I was using is v2
    • I have 5 vaults and 1110 items.
    • Already added the --vault parameter.
    • My personal account is bound to a business account
  • Thank you @bevis ,

This information will be helpful when investigating the optimization issue.

This discussion has been closed.