Initial feedback on 1Password 8 early release on iOS and iPadOS after 1 week of usage

stukey
stukey
Community Member

Amazing update, with lots of features and a mostly great new UI (thank you). Here’s my feedback after a week or so of constant use across my iPhone and iPad:

1. In Watchtower, if you update/resolve or delete the vulnerable password, when returning back to the watchtower view, the vulnerable passwords count and list is not updated. Even switching to another app and back again the view is still out of date. Pull to refresh doesn’t update the view either. You have to navigate out of watchtower view in 1Password and back in again to force the view to update.

2. Recently Deleted view incorrectly shows items that were moved to a different vault, rather than deleted. I think this is because 1Password does a copy then delete rather than a move. But moved copies shouldn’t be shown in deleted view as they still exist in another vault.

3. The concept of specifying which vaults are listed in “all logins” no longer seems to exist. There’s no way to configure which vaults should be included and as such all items are appearing in all views. I have a separate vault called “Archive” and I move old or unused logins to that vault rather than deleting them. I don’t want items in the “Archive” vault to appear in “All Items”, Watchtower, Autofill, Safari Extension or any of the Categories > sub views. After a few days of use… I guess this is what “Collections” are for…? This was not at all obvious when first using the new version of the app. There should be some kind of onboarding to walk you through this and convert the built-in “All Vaults” from 1PW 7 to a new “All Vaults” Collection in 1PW 8. Even after I setup collections, and placed my main 3 vaults into one collection and my archive vault into a separate “archive” vault, I am still seeing entries from the archive vault appearing in AutoFill and 1PW Safari extension suggestions. This should not happen. If the current collection is set to my primary 3 vaults, then I should not see suggestions from my archive vault collection in AutoFill or the Safari extension. If I move items into the built-in “Archive”, this achieves my intended approach but it also means all item types (logins, bank accounts, credit cards, etc.) are muddled-up together in the single archive. So I think an archive vault rather than a single archive view would be a better approach.

4. The useful alphabetical index is missing from all views, making it much slower to navigate to specific positions in long lists. Please reinstate.

5. You should be able to add specific categories to the Home Screen rather than having to expand the categories section. e.g. 90% of the time I want to use logins and so I would like to be able to get to logins with the least no. of taps as possible.

6. The “modified” and “created” fields of the bottom of each item should both be shown by default. There’s no point in hiding the created date under a twisty. The previous version’s more glanceable design was better.

7. I would like the option to “always require master password after device restart” reinstated like the current 1PW app (this option doesn’t seem to be working on current app either, but is listed in settings). Also there should be more options to configure the duration. Two weeks is too frequent. I get that you do this so users don’t forget their master password. Two weeks could be the default but please give other users more options.

8. When going through the initial 1Password account setup steps (“enter account details” screen), typing in password fields does not temporarily display each character as you type, making it much more difficult to know you’re entering the correct password.

9. On iPad, if the sidebar is collapsed, the main list view should be wider or draggable to resize it. The default is too narrow and truncates a lot of my item names on my 11” iPad. Also item names should wrap at least to two lines rather than being truncated as “name…”.

10. The ability to view previous passwords for logins is missing from the new apps. This is a critical feature.

11. It would be really helpful to be able to open items in a full size window on the iPad, especially when editing (e.g. like you can in Mail.app). This would make it a lot easier when adding lots of fields or doing lots of edits to an item. The current item / form size is too small, especially when the sidebar is displayed on iPad.

12. UI icon inconsistency. Example: the collapse sidebar icon uses a crisp clean iOS style blue icon/glyph where as the the settings (cog) and new item (+) buttons use chunky icons which remind me of Windows 8 (sorry). I personally prefer the clean iOS style iconography. But either way I think it should be consistent across the app.

13. The customise sidebar / home option should be in settings, not at the bottom of the sidebar. Also the UI for customising the sidebar is really strange. I cannot really explain it but it just doesn’t feel natural or iOS “native”, and it doesn’t work like regular iOS lists where you drag the grab handles to reorder items. It’s like there’s some kind of added resistance that makes re-ordering items more difficult than it should be. Moving items often takes multiple attempts.

14. On the sidebar / home screen, it’s quite difficult to distinguish between headers and the sub-items under the headings. They all look the same. It would be better to use the standard clean iOS approach, vs. the custom look and feel you’ve chosen. Or at least make the headings larger/more bold/shaded to make them stand apart from the sub-items.

Thank you. I hope this feedback is useful.

Stuart

1Password Version: 8.7.0 (beta)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 15.4.1

Comments

• mrbeign
    mrbeign
    Community Member
    edited April 2022

For number 10 the feature is there. You have to tap on the password and there is an option in the menu that comes up to view password history.

For number 7, I would also like the option back to require master password after device restart.

• stukey
    stukey
    Community Member

Thanks @mrbeign. Did not realise they have moved previous passwords behind that option. Thank you. Not sure I like the new UI, however. The little pop-out truncates the previous passwords making it difficult to view them in full.

Amazing they have added numbering to “Show in large type”. That’s a “finally” moment.

• donm
    donm
    Community Member

Good list for a newbie like me to read

This discussion has been closed.