iOS syncing problems

Options
Gordon101
Gordon101
Community Member
edited April 2022 in Families

Our family has 2 iMacs, 2 iPhones and 3 iPads. I can not check one of the iPads at this time, but 2 iPads and both iPhones are not syncing to changes made on my iMac. My wife's iMac did sync to my computer. Beyond the one specific item that brought this issue to my attention, there are probably other issues - I notice that the total number of 'All Items' on the iMacs is 672 and one of my iPads is 628. My iPhone has the 672 total, but changes made in our WiFi Gateway password have yet to sync to my iPad.

How do I force the system to sync and how can I be sure the system is syncing short of checking every change on all the devices?

I just noticed on my iPad that the system says I do not have two factor authentication turned on. When I checked on my iMad about that, the process appeared to be just turning on Apple's Two Factor authentication -- something we use. I may not understand on 2 Factor works in iOS - so I may not have that turned on. How can I tell if I am using 2 Factor? Is this something all family members must use?

1Password Version: 7.9.4 from Mac App Store
Extension Version: 7.9.4 in Safari
OS Version: 12.3.1
Referrer: forum-search:iPad not syncing

Comments

• @Gordon101

Typically, when I see someone describe a situation like this with syncing, there is a mismatch in the sync configuration. Do you see a Primary vault on any of your devices? It will be present if you use a 3rd party sync method. If you use a membership, then you should see a Personal/Private vault. For example, you should not see a Primary and Personal/Private at the same time. Please do not post personal information here in the community. It is public-facing. If you would like to discuss the setup in a one on one situation, please email us using support@1password.com

Personally, I like 2FA on all of my devices and recommend it to everyone. I would encourage you to read up on it and also discuss it with Apple. They would be able to guide you in setting up that feature. That said, I found it a very straightforward process. It sounds like the iOS settings app is displaying this information.

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

• Gordon101
    Gordon101
    Community Member
    Options

Sync Subject --

I started this thread because I altered an Item for our AT&T Gateway. I changed the Item name, changed the SSID and the password. Those items moved between our two iMacs. But more than 6 hours later the changes I entered on my iMac had transferred to any of our 5 iOS devices - those items were all on and connected to the internet. That issue has resolved itself. Apparently after we opened 1PW on our various iOS devices and Searched for the entry, the iOS devices performed a sync. I had expected that sync operation to be either instantaneous or happen in the background -- certainly it should have happened in less than 6 hours.

How long should it take normally for items to completely sync? (Assuming items are on and connected to the internet.)

Is there any way to force a sync on iOS and our iMac devices?

2FA subject --

My wife and I do use two factor authentication on all out Apple devices. Is 2FA in the 1PW world automatically used if we have it activated at Apple? If not, how do I determine if we have activated 2FA for 1PW? Will 2FA for 1PW carry through the AgileBits forums or are they a separate item? (I am thinking if a disaster happens -- I might want to be able to contact you or another support person without having to mess with 2FA. I do have that long recovery key to "prove" I am me.)

Since we are a Family, do all of use have to turn on 2FA at 1PW? (Initially I was the Family Organizer, but since the initial setup, I have changed settings so my wife can do anything I can do.)

Transfer Subject --

And the previous sentence brings up another question -- I am 80 and my wife is 11 years younger -- likely to live beyond my death. What is the procedure for her to take over the account after my incapacity or death? She likely will keep the Family membership but add another person - say a Trustee or person with Powers of Attorney.

• @Gordon101

Syncing:

How long should it take normally for items to completely sync? (Assuming items are on and connected to the internet.)

It should be almost instantaneous. In my experience, the iOS devices take a few seconds longer than normal. It's mainly because the app must be opened and unlocked to sync the database. On the Mac, we have a helper that monitors for changes in the background. That is not the case on iOS, as Apps can only remain running for a short period before they are put to sleep.

Locking and unlocking the device should trigger a sync. Additionally, we did have a few brief maintenance windows recently. ⚡️ 1Password status page

2FA:

The community is entirely separate from your data, where you can enable 2FA. 2FA with 1Password is only active on the initial linking. Your password is used to unlock the database, and only you know it. I do not use 2FA on one of my accounts. The other has it enabled. It's really a personal choice for you. Each user can enable or disable the feature, and it only applies to their account.

Transfer:

We recommend keeping a copy of your Emergency Kit filled out and stored safely. I keep mine locally and in a bank safe deposit box. Several relatives also have the ability to undertake the recovery process. 🚒 Get to know your Emergency Kit I would record the account password and also include a copy of the 2FA QR code if you decide to enable that feature. 🚑 Recover accounts for family or team members I would recommend adding that individual sooner rather than later.

I went through the loss of my wife a couple of years back. The Emergency Kit and password made it easy on me in that very trying time to access her data and inform many of her business associates. You may also wish to record the password for the email address used with 1Password on your Emergency Kit. There are a great many threads here in the community on the subject. I would encourage you to review them as there are some great ideas other users have put forth.

• Gordon101
    Gordon101
    Community Member
    Options

2FA

Sorry but I am not clear on your 2FA comments. My wife and I, as far as we know, have only one account -- we do not have any information if our "Personal" vaults. Everything is in our "Shared Vault". That vault has a single Password, which we both use. Am I missing something, or won't a surviving party still have complete access? (We also know each other's device passwords.)

You wrote, "2FA with 1Password is only active on the** initial linking." Is the the "initial linking" when we set up the Family 1PW account , or is it the "initial linking**" every time we individually reboot our computers and turn on 1PW? If it is the later, I certainty don't have 2FA because all I have to do is enter my personal 1PW password. No text message to my iPhone or 6 digit code to type. Assuming I don't have 2FA turned on, how do I turn in on?

How does 2FA work for an iPhone and an iPad? It is common for us to be away from home and want to open/share a document stored in 1PW - maybe a copy of an insurance card at a medical office.

Transfer -

Thanks for the links. I have them included in our files.

• @Gordon101

only one account -- we do not have any information if our "Personal" vaults. Everything is in our "Shared Vault".

Gotcha, in that situation you would be good to go. I would still recommend recording the information and keeping it stored securely for reference. I can tell you I have had to pull out my Emergency Kit during the last year while clearing that brain fog. It's always good to have that ability vs accidentally locking yourself out of the account and losing precious data.

An initial link is when you add a new device to your account. You would not be prompted each time you turn on the device. All devices (mobile desktop) work the same for 2FA when using it with 1Password. The only exception in our implementation would be when accessing 1Password.com. You would be required to provide the 2FA code when accessing the site. One other possibility is if/when you need to re authenticate to continue syncing.

Turn on two-factor authentication for your 1Password account

To be clear our feature is not the same as Apple's and you would need to maintain it separately. To turn off 2FA you would login to 1Password.com and disable the feature of if you have a device active you can always turn off the feature from there.

Turn on two-factor authentication for your 1Password account

1Password.com:

1. Click your name in the top right and choose My Profile.
    2. Click More Actions > Manage Two-Factor Authentication.
    3. Click Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication, then enter your account password.

Mac:
    Choose 1Password > Preferences > Accounts. Click your account, then click Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication.

iOS and Android
    Tap Settings > 1Password Accounts. Tap your account, then tap Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication.

• Gordon101
    Gordon101
    Community Member
    Options

If we turn on 2FA, is it possible to authenticate 1PW with a text message to our iPhones or must we work through a 3rd party piece of software like Microsoft Authenticator?

• @Gordon101

If we turn on 2FA, is it possible to authenticate 1PW with a text message to our iPhones or must we work through a 3rd party piece of software like Microsoft Authenticator?

To use 2FA with 1Password, you must use an authenticator app such as Microsoft Authenticator, Google Authenticator, or Authy.

• Gordon101
    Gordon101
    Community Member
    Options

Joshua - is the use of Authenticator a One and Done process for each device? Or do we have to authentic each time we open 1PW on our iPhones and iPads?

Do we have to authenticate with new versions of iOS, MacOS, etc.

What is involved when we upgrade to new iPhones?

• Ben
    Options

Each time you add your 1Password account to a new installation of the app you would need to authenticate with 2FA. Generally, upgrading macOS or iOS would not clear the 2FA authentication for that device. Switching to a new Mac or new iPhone may. You would not need to authenticate with 2FA each time you unlock.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.