how to edit vault assignment on item after entry of data?

Options
donm
donm
Community Member

New user doing input of info and need to correct mistakes as to vault assignment on entered and saved items. How is it done?

1Password Version: ?
Extension Version: ?
OS Version: win 10

Comments

• Hi @donm, thanks for this question - and welcome to 1Password!

If I understand correctly, you have an item (or items) which have already been created, and you'd like them to now live in a different vault. No problem; here's how it works.

1. Click the Windows icon in the lower-left corner of your screen. A list of programs will pop up.
    2. Select 1Password, which will be located near the very top beneath a # symbol. The 1Password for Windows app should appear.
    3. Unlock the app with your account password.
    4. Once the app is unlocked, select your item of interest. If you need to, you can select multiple items using ctrl + click, or select all items in a list with ctrl + a.
    5. Right-click, and choose move item(s).
    6. Select the vault you'd like them to go to, and the move will happen instantly.

I hope this gets things off to a productive start - and if you have any questions about this, or if there's anything further we can help with, let me know! Our team will be here for you.

• donm
    donm
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for that answer!

Another question - I want the same entry to be available in two different vaults so I duplicated it and assigned it to another vault. When I change details in one entry is the change applied to the other identical entry?
    Thanks!

• Hi @donm:

As it currently stands, an item can only exist in one vault. Duplicating an item and then making changes to a copy in one vault doesn't make those changes to any duplicates in other vaults. With that said though, I can definitely see how that would be useful, so I've shared your thoughts on an internal issue we have on the subject.

Jack

ref: IDEA-I-152

• donm
    donm
    Community Member
    Options

Please, PLEASE implement this!

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @donm, thanks for letting us know that this feature is important to you! While I can't make any promises for future changes to 1Password, we do have an existing feature request for this, and I can see that my colleague Jack has added your vote there for our developers to see.

• donm
    donm
    Community Member
    Options

I guess your app actually creates two independent records rather than each vault referring to a common record. Hope you can craft a way to keep the two ( or more) vault records in sync!
    Regards, Don M

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@donm

Like your avatar’s stylishly multicolor-haired troll twins, that look the same at first glance, a closer look shows differences.

Entries have different UUIDs internally. They are, in fact, separate items. Consider what would happen if an entry you relied on, was only a reference, and the original was in a shared vault and the vault owner deleted the item, or unshared the vault. Do you lose the record also?

Or if both of you edited the entry, while offline. Do the records then become independent?

Or, how are the differences resolved and sync’d? This requires a complex merge UI, or punting to the users to resolve differences. These sorts of conflicts make for very unhappy users, and are a headache for developers.

• donm
    donm
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the compliment! And the explanation.

• Thanks for the discussion here, folks. 😃 These are indeed some of the scenarios we have to consider!

This discussion has been closed.