Saving Website Logins?

Hi,

How do you save passwords into 1Password with 1Password v8?

On v7 it used to pop-up a modal when submitting a form on Chrome to save into 1Password (or unlock to save if locked).

However, I don't get anything like this with 1Password v8? Visiting chrome://settings/passwords It says 1Password is controlling this setting so Chrome doesn't offer to save it but neither is 1Password (I assume this is controlled via "Make 1Password the default password manager" setting of the extension).

I've Connect with 1Password in the browser enabled in 1Password v8
I've Integrate with 1Password app enabled in the extension's settings.

Cheers.

1Password Version: 8.4.1
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: Windows 10

Comments

• Hey @SugarRush:

With 1Password in the browser enabled, saving passwords in the browser should be prompted like this when entering your current username/password on a website:

For more details on how to use 1Password in the browser, see here: Save and fill passwords in your browser

If you're running into issues, let me know and I'd be happy to dig into it further with you!

Jack

• SugarRush
    SugarRush
    Community Member

Hey @jack.platten,

I see that now! It's much cleaner than 1Password 7 modal UI which looked like it was designed with XP in mind.

However, sometimes It's in the way of the submit button if it's close to the form - for example say in the screenshot you provided the "Submit" button was below Password input and be behind "Save in 1Password" - maybe a setting in the extension itself to set where the Save button is left/right/below/above?

Or even better make it so the Save appears in-line the input (obviously with a more 1Password looking design/blue this is just random) or instead render the save button on the submit button not password input.

If I hit "Enter" after entering my login I miss being able to save the login vs where the modal method would pop-up and be open until I closed it myself. Anyway to enable this again? I've a habit of hitting Enter after filling the form so I lose out saving my login (unless I logout again > back in).

I also had to disable 1Password controlling saved passwords. Mainly due to I do a lot of stuff in Incognito. A way around this would be If
    I enable 1Password extension to "Allow in Incognito", is this a good idea though?

Cheers.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @SugarRush ,
    Thanks for the feedback and suggestions here!

If the suggestions menu is blocking your view, simply click the little 1Password icon on the right side of the field to dismiss it. Click it again to reveal the suggestions menu on demand.
    Alternatively, if you don't like to use the mouse, you can press ESC or the Up Arrow key to dismiss it, then press the Down Arrow key to reveal it.

As for pressing Enter, the old extension had a feature called Autosave, that would pop up the prompt to save/update the page in 1Password. The new 1Password in the browser doesn't work that way and instead you'll want to click/select the "Save in 1Password" button before you send the form.
    We do have a feature request to bring this feature into the new 1Password in the browser though, so we might see this functionality again in the future :)

• SugarRush
    SugarRush
    Community Member

Hey @ag_yaron,
    I hope you've had a wonderful festive season period and are well (and everyone else at 1Password).

Regarding launching/opening: I was just wondering if there is an option when opening 1Password to be at the top of the list? For some reason whenever I launch 1Password and it opens All Items it's always scrolled and selected about 20th item down and I've to manually scroll to the top again.

**Regarding search: ** I've love the enter key to go-to search results like 1Password 7 instead of Ctrl + Enter as if you want an item particular you'd select it anyway with mouse? Unless the majority use arrow keys Up/Down and hit enter or the first search result just happens to be the one they always want. Even if it's an option in preferences and not by default.

Thanks! My muscle memory has now gotten used to the "Save in 1Password" button before submitting. However, I notice it's sometimes hidden behind Chrome's default passwords lists - I assume this is why by default "1Password controlling saved passwords" is forced to avoid this but any solution for those that have this disabled? I've tons of passwords saved in Chrome - I know I can import them but I worry about overwriting some in 1Password already and have over 3,400 saved (it's taking a while to manually delete/check/update).

1Password extension to "Allow in Incognito" is this a good idea though?

PS: Is this a bug? No attach/insert image after entering URL anymore, hitting enter doesn't insert.

• @SugarRush

Chrome has a habit of still offering credentials that you have saved, even if you've designated 1Password as controlling this feature. If the purpose is to migrate your saved passwords from Google to 1Password, I'd recommend following our handy guide here. It won't overwrite anything you have saved in 1Password. Instead the import would create a duplicate record, which you can audit after the fact.

Once you've done that, you should be safe to remove any saved passwords from Chrome, which will, naturally, eliminate the prompt from overshadowing the 1Password inline menu. To remove saved passwords in Chrome:

1. Open Chrome and paste the following into the address bar:chrome://settings/passwords
    2. From here you can delete any saved passwords.

If you want to remove them all at once, you can do so under chrome://settings/clearBrowserData, and choosing Passwords and other sign in data in the advanced option.

1Password extension to "Allow in Incognito" is this a good idea though?

This is entirely up to you. This simply allows 1Password to still autofill your credentials while in private browsing mode. If you don't allow it, 1Password will not be able to autofill credentials.

PS: Is this a bug? No attach/insert image after entering URL anymore, hitting enter doesn't insert.

Can you elaborate a bit more here? Were you attempting to save a new website icon to an item in 1Password? What steps did you take to get to this result?

• SugarRush
    SugarRush
    Community Member

Hi @ag_chantelle

Sorry for the delayed response!

That's all perfect. Is there a way to filter 1Password to show duplicates only? To make it easier to clean-up.

Also In 1 Password 7 It'd add "- Copy" to the end of the title when doing a "Duplicate..." of an item is it possible to return this to 1Password 8? Instead of a straight mimic so it's easier to edit the newest copy not the original save.

Is it possible when opening 1Password 8 to be at the top of items? It's always mid-way down "All Items" and not at the top making me have to scroll up to the newest.

Can we have a "Pin" feature? I was hoping by Favouriting my router login to web GUI it'd be "pinned" at always at the top but it seems favourites doesn't work like that. So a "Pin" would be cool, kind of like Apple's notes app with Pinned Notes.

Sometimes when opening 1Password 8 (from Chrome Unlock or Taskbar double clicking 1P Icon) it'd be a small window and open on the wrong monitor - is this a bug? Where sometimes it'll open on the correct monitor + full screen.

This is entirely up to you. This simply allows 1Password to still autofill your credentials while in private browsing mode. If you don't allow it, 1Password will not be able to autofill credentials.

Perfect!

This is actually here, on the forums. not within 1Password itself sorry for not making that clear. For example when wanting to insert a URL you get "Ok" to insert and "Cancel" to cancel. However, with the Image option the "OK|Cancel" is missing and enter/return doesn't work and insert the image. I had to manually type the image code/syntax.

For example URL:

No option on image:

• SugarRush
    SugarRush
    Community Member

Anyone about? It's now April

• Hi @SugarRush:

I sincerely apologize for your previous post falling through the cracks.

That's all perfect. Is there a way to filter 1Password to show duplicates only? To make it easier to clean-up.

There currently isn't a way of having 1Password only show duplicates, but I can definitely see how this would be useful so I've shared your thoughts on an internal feature request we have!

Also In 1 Password 7 It'd add "- Copy" to the end of the title when doing a "Duplicate..." of an item is it possible to return this to 1Password 8? Instead of a straight mimic so it's easier to edit the newest copy not the original save.

I definitely agree with wanting this back, so I'll share your thoughts internally as well.

Is it possible when opening 1Password 8 to be at the top of items? It's always mid-way down "All Items" and not at the top making me have to scroll up to the newest.

I wasn't able to replicate this on our nightly releases. Are you still running into trouble with All Items not opening at the top? Let me know!

Can we have a "Pin" feature? I was hoping by Favouriting my router login to web GUI it'd be "pinned" at always at the top but it seems favourites doesn't work like that. So a "Pin" would be cool, kind of like Apple's notes app with Pinned Notes.

You can always view all of your Favorites by clicking Favorites in the sidebar, but would you like them to be pushed to the top in All Items as well? Let me know!

Sometimes when opening 1Password 8 (from Chrome Unlock or Taskbar double clicking 1P Icon) it'd be a small window and open on the wrong monitor - is this a bug? Where sometimes it'll open on the correct monitor + full screen.

Are you still running into trouble with this as well? We've made some improvements to multiple monitor handling, but I'd be happy to investigate further if the state of play hasn't improved.

Jack

ref: IDEA-I-615
    ref: IDEA-I-792

This discussion has been closed.