Watchtower and Collections

DunDad
DunDad
Community Member

I like the look and functionality of the new Watchtower screens. I don’t find them particularly useful, though, because of my family vault structure. I manage multiple vaults for other family members — including parents who don’t necessarily share my same paranoid password habits. I’d like to be able to view the Watchtower results just across my own collections, not all the vaults that I have access to. Am I missing something? I don’t see a way to do this.

I’d love to use Watchtower’s results and make them more actionable. But when I look at the data and it says that the top issues are all coming from a shared family member’s vault, I tune out.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 8.7.0 (Build 105)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS/iPadOS 15.4.1

Comments

• stukey
    stukey
    Community Member

You can do this using collections. Add all the vaults you are interested in monitoring to a new collection. Then switch to that collection. Watchtower will only show you info for the vaults in that collection! There’s even a little reminder that tells you this in the watchtower UI:

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2022

Thanks for chiming in, @stukey!

@DunDad If you haven't explored the functionality stukey outlined yet, we have a guide available on this here:

Use collections to create custom groups of vaults

Ben

• DunDad
    DunDad
    Community Member

@Stukey and @Ben, thanks for the follow-ups. Yes, I know about Collections, and I’ve created one. I do see now that Watchtower on iOS filters the results to the active collection — helpful! I don’t think the score updates, though. When I saw the score didn’t change, I incorrectly assumed that none of the Watchtower interface updated. Is it possible that the score can be based on the active Collection, too?

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Feature request: allow different Collection selections for auto-fill and Watchtower.

Reason for asking: I have a separate vault for Company passwords (which are weak, but shared, and I am not allowed to change them). I want to auto-fill these, but I don't want to see them in Watchtower (since they are not "actionable").

• @XIII This is a supported configuration. You can create two collections, one that includes everything you want to fill in AutoFill, and another that contains only the vaults you want to see in Watchtower. You can assign one of them in Settings > AutoFill to be the collection used there, and then use the other collection within the app for Watchtower.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

I’ll try that, but I would still prefer a collection selection specific for Watchtower, because I’d like those company passwords to be accessible in my main/regular collection. Reason for that: I can’t always autofill them. Sometimes I have to use copy/paste.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Is there a similar option in the macOS App?

(I mainly use company passwords on my company's MacBook)

• Yes, collections work the same way in all version 8 apps.

• The way I was thinking of it, you could have collections set up like this:

AutoFill would contain only the vaults you care about for AutoFill, and you can set it to that in Settings:

Your Daily Driver collection would be all the items you want to see in the app on a regular basis.

Then, when you want to dig into Watchtower, you tap the user menu in the upper left corner and change into the Watchtower collection:

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Thanks. I already set up iOS, but can't find the auto-fill configuration in macOS...

Do I need to search that in the App or in the browser extension?

• Are you using the 1Password 8 beta for Mac? Collections are new to v8.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Yes, 1Password 8 Nightly (80800002).

• Ah! Right. Collections aren’t available in the browser extension just yet. We may have something else to share in this front, but I’ll let @mitch do so when the time is right.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

I’ll (try to) wait patiently…

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

It would be great if I can specify a separate collection for the new Universal AutoFill in macOS v8.

Is that planned?

• @XIII: Quick Access remembers the collection it is set to separately from the rest of the app, and it will respect this setting for Universal Autofill. That should give you what you're looking for.

• Digital05
    Digital05
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

Request the watchtower scores match across other 1password8 apps. I noticed when using the 1password 8 IOS beta it shows one score for a collection, but on the Windows desktop version 8, it shows a different score for the exact same collection. The Windows desktop score is 17 points higher than the IOS beta.

Recommend the score in version 8 of the MAC, IOS, WINDOWS and other applications be the same when using the same vault/collection.

The good news is the reused passwords, weak passwords and inactive two-factor numbers match in both windows & IOS apps.

• That's fascinating, @Digital05, as the code that generates the score is identical between all of our version 8 apps. Could you get us a diagnostic report from 1Password for Windows and 1Password for iOS so we can try and see where things might be different? Also, please double check that you're using the most up-to-date version of both apps. We did change the score calculation at one point during development, so you might have an older version somewhere.

This discussion has been closed.