Self destruct (I know it has been mentioned before)

Nicholas1P
Nicholas1P
Community Member
edited May 2022 in iOS

Hi there,

Just joined very recently. I'm a refugee from Dataviz Passwords Plus. Quite a shock to get an email last week saying that it was being discontinued with immediate effect.

Anyway, onto my query:

I still can't understand why requests for a self destruct after a predetermined number of failed password attempts has not been built into 1Password. I've read the previous posts over the years already. Dataviz had it built in to their password manager and it gave me extra assurances.

I'll give you my case for this: My iPhone is on PAYG including data, therefore I rarely ever have cellular data enabled on my phone except for if I want to look at something and then I promptly turn it off again. So in my situation, it's all very well deleting the profile from the settings, or even changing the secret key from another device BUT if the phone will not update 1Password with this until after cellular data is restored it is a concern. If someone had my phone and kept cellular data off, they could attempt my password as many times as they wanted. Of course, as soon as it connects to a network, the delete mechanism/change of secret key would kick in and they would have nothing to access, but if they kept data off they could carry on indefinately.

This is the reason I think self destruct after a few user defined attempts is a good idea . Dataviz's self destruct was on the device, so it didn't matter if it was connected to a network. The password data would be wiped after 5 failed attempts and I liked the peace of mind it provided.

I realise that Apple's Find my Phone would not wipe the data either without cellular data switched on, and that is why I liked the self destruct built into my previous password manager.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Nicholas1P
    Nicholas1P
    Community Member

I just found out about the setting on my iPhone to erase all data after 10 failed login attempts, so not worried about the self destruct feature now. Just enabled Data erase on my iPhone and I feel a lot happier now. :)

• Hello @Nicholas1P! 👋

Your 1Password data is protected using encryption which means that, as long as you have a strong and unique account password, the odds of anyone being able to "brute force" their way into your 1Password data are extremely low. You can read more about the security of 1Password here: About the 1Password security model.

If you enable Face ID / Touch ID for 1Password then your account password will be required when your face, or fingerprint, isn’t recognized five times in a row.

That being said, I've passed along your request for this sort of feature to our developers so that they can look into this further. I'm happy to hear that the iPhone's built-in "Erase Data" feature fits your security needs. Thank you for the suggestion and welcome to 1Password! 😊

ref: IDEA-I-872

This discussion has been closed.