Chrome version 99 and 1Password 6

Comments

• jinnes2
    jinnes2
    Community Member

Will this problem also be fixed for 1Password 6 for Mac? I'm experiencing this same Chrome verification problem with the production release of Chrome, 1Password extension 4.7.5.90, and 1Password 6.8.9.

• Hi @jinnes2:

Thanks for reaching out. On March 15, Google released Chrome 99, which contained a new code signing certificate. Because of this change, 1Password 6 for Mac no longer works in Chrome 99 or later. The last major update to 1Password 6 for Mac was almost 4 years ago, and as 1Password is a security product, we strongly recommend keeping it up to date.

Reaching out to our migrations team directly at support+tradein@1password.com for help upgrading to 1Password 7 would be your best bet, as they'd be able to discuss any deals or promo offers you may be eligible for. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot with a support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to connect the dots and locate your email conversation.

Just as an additional note, I've split off your post into a new thread.

Jack

• mitchpron
    mitchpron
    Community Member

Just want to also voice my displeasure with this decision.

• jinnes2
    jinnes2
    Community Member

Hi Jack: Thanks for the information and the help. I understand that Agile has made a business decision about support for 1Password 6, but @mitchpron's term "displeasure" is apt. Personally I hate the software subscription model. I've bought pretty much every version of 1Password since maybe 1.0, but I stopped when you all switched to subscription model in 1Password 7. I understand you can't support 1Password 6 forever, but completely stopping working in production Chrome after only 3 years strikes me as standing on the wrong side of the line.

• Hi @jinnes2 / @mitchpron:

I can empathize, and we understand the importance of making sure your data is usable across browsers. As you can imagine, the changing landscape of the software world and IT industry in general, makes it challenging to continue supporting older versions of 1Password when they no longer align with the security changes in modern versions of popular browsers. This is why we launched 1Password 7, and very soon 1Password 8 for Mac, to continue to scale alongside the industry.

If it's imperative that you continue to use 1Password 6, then Firefox would be the best bet at the moment. Moving forward, to maintain compatibility with new versions of browsers, like Chrome, we recommend upgrading to 1Password 7. While we do offer the 50% off for 3 years for existing legacy users, you're welcome to reach out to our Migrations team at support+tradein@1password.com to discuss available options.

Jack

• jinnes2
    jinnes2
    Community Member

Hi Jack: Thank you for the reasonable tone of your response. I understand the business rationale for moving to a subscription model in 1Password7, but as a local sync user I had no need of an online service component. The decision by AgileBits to not update 1Password6 to address this change by Chrome is effectively an "end of life" moment for 1Password6. In any case, thank you for your attention here and I've engaged with the migrations team [FEV-55684-386].

• Hi @jinnes2:

Thanks for posting your support ID. I've confirmed it's made it to the right place, and we'll be in touch with you soon.

Jack

ref: FEV-55684-386

• nhereveri
    nhereveri
    Community Member
    1. This is a change originated by the new policies for the use of certificates. It is known that it is not a problem caused by 1Password.
    2. Adding a new signature to 1Password 6 requires little effort and no security issues.
    3. As in the comments. We have supported 1Password since its inception. I personally bought it 3 times. Two for desktop and one for mobile.
    4. At the time, the change to the subscription model did not provide any different benefit in relation to version 6. I still think the same today. It's more one of the reasons I don't want to use it is because of the potential pitfalls of keeping everything in the cloud (someone else's server).
    5. It's not about money. An example of this is the purchases up to 1Password 6. But instead of going and looking for new customers, they decided that their loyal customers who had already paid should pay again. I understand that it is a business, but 1Password 6 uses the iCloud, Dropbox, etc. The only real cost was the iCloud development license and few customer support.
    6. Again, I have no reason to consider using 1Password 7 other than the certificate listing changing. Furthermore, this is easily fixable via the Chrome extension without any changes to the application. No reasonable.
  • Hi @nhereveri:

Thanks for your feedback. While I can't speak to the technical requirements it would take to continue allowing 1Password 6 to communicate with the latest version of Chrome, what I can say is this: we have made the choice to no longer invest resources into 1Password 6 for Mac. 1Password 7 for Mac was released 46 months ago, with numerous fixes and improvements over almost 4 years from then until now. As we near the release candidate of 1Password 8 for Mac, it simply doesn't make sense to invest additional efforts into 1Password 6 for Mac.

Given this, our recommendations are as follows:

• If you'd like to switch to a 1Password account (and receive 50% off your first three years) to update to the latest version of 1Password, reach out to us at support+tradein@1password.com.
    • If you'd prefer to keep using 1Password 6 for Mac, you're more than welcome to continue to do so, using either copy and paste, or the 1Password classic extension in a up to date supported browser (Firefox). At this point, we cannot make any promises on if Firefox will continue with its current signing certificate, but if in the future there is a change to the code signing certificate from Firefox, it would be expected that 1Password 6 for Mac would no longer communicate with Firefox.
    • If neither of those options are amenable to you, we don't want you to feel like you're trapped. You're always able to export your data and import it into another password manager. If this does apply to you, stay safe out there when selecting another password manager, and we'll be here for you in the future if you decide to give us another chance.

Jack

• KamranV
    KamranV
    Community Member

Anyone done the research on a new password manager that operates like 1Password6? I'm with all of you: there must be a better way than an unnecessary subscription. iCloud doesn't work in Chrome Mac (but somehow Chrome Windows). Google passwords is quite limited. Plus all of that other great data like ccard info and such is nice to have in one secure place... though it sounds like 1Password Support may be implying that 1Password is not a secure place?

• andig
    andig
    Community Member

@KamranV
    My proposition - Bitwarden or KeePassXC.

• Reddmeat
    Reddmeat
    Community Member

@KamranV I have been looking at enpass, which still offers a standalone license.

• KamranV
    KamranV
    Community Member

ooh. enpass looks pretty similar. Have you tried migrating? any pitfalls? worth the $80?

• JustaUser1
    JustaUser1
    Community Member

Gonna inquire about what Enpass' definition of 'lifetime' is...

• Reddmeat
    Reddmeat
    Community Member

@KamranV Its on stacksocial for $29.99 but I haven't taken the leap yet due to time limitations on my side, this weekend I will probably make the move. For now I am copying and pasting passwords as needed from the standalone app.

• chrisf12
    chrisf12
    Community Member

I'm in the same boat with all of you and after years of supporting password will also be making a switch to enpass I believe. I'm about to download and test it now.

• KamranV
    KamranV
    Community Member
    edited April 2022

Let me know what you all think. Enpass looks pretty good. Surprised that no one from 1Password has chimed in To tell us what a bad idea this is…

• Hey folks,

Thanks for chiming in. At the end of the day, we'd rather you use a password manager than not. If the future of 1Password isn't what you're looking for, we're sincerely sorry to see you go. While I can't speak specifically about the alternatives that have been suggested here, I would recommend that whichever password solution you do decide to go with, ensure that it's one you're confident in and comfortable with. In any case, stay safe out there, and perhaps we can win you back some day in the future.

Jack

• josefbartos
    josefbartos
    Community Member

I knew I wouldn't be able to push the last standalone license of 1Password 6 forever, so I guess this is it.

I love 1Password, but having the actual database with passwords self-hosted is a deal breaker for me (the subscription model, while not a fan, I would be able to get on board with). It was a good 8 years, though.

• mmicj
    mmicj
    Community Member

I'd like to throw my $0.02 as well.
    Been using 1password for several years now and have always been a huge fan of the product.
    However, now, when you ditch 65% of users who bought your lifetime subscription and who are using Chrome, then that means there is something wrong with the company and I do not like to be part of this at all.
    At this point, I will move to another password manager and I encourage everyone to do that as well.

• josefbartos
    josefbartos
    Community Member

We can hate Agilebits for ditching standalone licenses and going subscription-only, sure. But what you (and me) paid for was a license for a 1Password 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6. That was in no way a "lifetime subscription". The support is usually good for as long as there isn't newer major version out and maybe a little bit after that...

It would be like demanding updates from Microsoft for Windows 7 because you bought the OEM license once in 2009, while there are 3 another major versions out.

• Hi @josefbartos:

Thanks for your kind words. Stay safe out there, and we'll be here if you ever want to give us another chance in the future.

Jack

• bountyhunter2019
    bountyhunter2019
    Community Member

Checking in here. EXTREMELY disappointed in Agilebits for this decision. Is there any workaround to keep the product working? Has anyone looked into what it takes to add new certificates to version 6?

Hey Agilebits reps, please surface the outrage at switching to a subscription model. I have zero interest in having any kind of account at Agilebits to manage my secure secrets. I'd happily pay for upgrades as we go, but will NEVER create an account at Agile to let them manage my secrets.

• garybader
    garybader
    Community Member

Hi - I switched to Firefox. While not quite as smooth as Chrome, it works fine and more importantly is compatible with 1password 6. Firefox also has some nice synchronization features that Chrome doesn't have.

• KamranV
    KamranV
    Community Member

Anyone have some feedback on enpass after using it? still seem like the winner?

This discussion has been closed.