To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How do I retrieve a password without a trusted device or my secret key

Options
mallam
mallam
Community Member

Hello,
If I do not have any of my own devices and wish to log in to a (non 1Password) account with an automatically generated password that I cannot remember, how do I retrieve that password from 1Password without my secret key?
Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@mallam Access to your 1Password account on a new device requires your account password, secret key and, if enabled, two factor authentication. If you haven't already then print out your Emergency Kit which contains you secret key and store it somewhere safe.

It is best to only log in to 1Password on devices you own or trust. If you login on a public computer then your login details could be compromised. So I try to keep my phone with me and choose easy to type passwords for accounts I may need to access on other devices.

• Hi @mallam:

As @rootzero mentioned, generally you should only log into your 1Password account on devices you trust. Decrypting your data requires both your account password and your Secret Key.

For accounts you might need to log in to without having access to your 1Password account, using the memorable password generation option might be your best bet.

Jack

• mallam
    mallam
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @rootzero and @Jack.P_1P!

• You're very welcome @mallam! Feel free to get in touch if there's anything else we can help you with in the future.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.