Add options to change 1Password for Safari's icon

afruitpie
afruitpie
Community Member
edited August 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

The icon for 1Password for Safari doesn't follow convention and clashes with the other icons on Safari.

Take a look at this screenshot using this community site as an example. The other icons on the Safari Toolbar (Noir, 1Blocker, Share) have sections that are transparent, and look pretty good against the page's theme-color. This oddity is even clearer on a new window, where the 1Password icon is noticeably darker than the others.

1Password Version: 8.7.0 (Beta)
Extension Version: 2.3.1
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1

Comments

• Hey @afruitpie:

Thanks for sharing your feedback on the extension icon. While I can't promise anything, I've shared your thoughts with the team internally. Thanks again for reaching out!

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#9400

• Smigit
    Smigit
    Community Member
    edited April 2022

I also feel like the icon sticks out like a sore thumb, where the 1Password 7 icon looked great on Mac OS. Would love to see a return to a OS consistent icon for Safari on MacOS.

Other Chromium browsers do show coloured icons so this ones suitable there, just not for Safari.

• Thanks for the feedback, @smigit. We appreciate it!

• awn
    awn
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

I know that this extension is basically a repacked version of the chrome extension but please update the icon to align with Apple design guidelines and make it a monochrome icon like the 1PW 7 extension does.

(1PW7 on the left, 1PW for Safari on the right)

I hope there are at least a few people left at 1Password that actually care about those details and willing to do things the way they are supposed to be done on a specific platform.

Thank you

• Hi @awn:

I've added your feedback to the issue I referenced above. While I can't promise anything, we use feedback like yours to help inform the future of 1Password.

Jack

• ermonas
    ermonas
    Community Member

I stumbled upon this thread while looking for a way to turn the 1Password Safari icon monochrome. I would appreciate the option too, it looks severely out of place in Safari right now.

• Hi @ermonas:

Thanks for your feedback! I've added it to the issue as well.

Jack

• unfadinglight
    unfadinglight
    Community Member

Hope the 1Password team can fix UI of this icon as well. Looks out of place and pixelated on the M1 iMac.

• ++ @unfadinglight

We'll be sure to add your voice to this one as well. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

• skatch
    skatch
    Community Member

+1 from me too.

• Gotcha!

• Raphomet
    Raphomet
    Community Member

+1 here as well. Thanks for engaging.

• danielwhite
    danielwhite
    Community Member

+1. You should consider adding some form of reaction or voting system to avoid all these kinds of posts ;)

• Hi @danielwhite / @Raphomet:

I've added you both to the issue mentioned above. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Jack

• cgoebel
    cgoebel
    Community Member

Any updates on this? Actually, the ugly safari extension icon made me switch to Chrome temporarily and consider alternatives to 1PW. Please update to follow Safari design conventions!

• Faustus
    Faustus
    Community Member

This seems to be a really low priority issue, which is sad because the extension's icon just looks so out of place in Safari.

• @cgoebel and @Faustus

I don't have any updates yet. Thank you for the feedback and I've added both of you to the internal tracking item. 🙂

ref: dev/core/core#9400

• wtfextensionicon
    wtfextensionicon
    Community Member

I just signed up for 1password because I've seen screenshots of the app and the design looked much better than LastPass, what I'm currently using.

Literally everything about 1password seems AMAZING apart from this eyesore in my safari header that cannot change.

Just registering here that the icon will be the one and only reason I do not become a paying user. At least lastpass's icon (what I see 95% of the time) isn't out of place.

• @wtfextensionicon, thank you for your feedback I have added your vote to the internal request.

• cgoebel
    cgoebel
    Community Member

Personally, I find it very frustrating to see that so little attention seems to be paid to this issue.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @cgoebel, I've filed a feature request internally to share your idea with our development and product teams. They regularly review feature requests from users to consider what should be added to future versions of 1Password. Your feedback, along with feedback from our other customers, helps them immensely with their planning. We can't make any promises on what will be added or fixed, but we'll do our best to share your input. Thanks for reaching out.

• repoles
    repoles
    Community Member

Oh my… the Safari extension icon is terrible. On the Mac I completely remove it from my toolbar. But it’s not possible to do the same on the iPad. My only option is to disable the extension.

• Hey @repoles,

Thank you for your feedback I will pass it on to our product team. If you had the choice, could you describe to me what you would like the icon to look like? Is it the colours you are not a fan of?

• repoles
    repoles
    Community Member

Like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

• steph.giles
    edited January 2023

@repoles, I have passed on your feedback.

Have a great weekend.

ref: PB-30542985

• Thank you so much @aiyah, I appreciate this level of detail.

I have added all of this information to a request for our product team to take into consideration.

ref: PB32030307

• kelchm
    kelchm
    Community Member

I'd really love to see this addressed. This icon is a really disappointing regression compared to the Safari extension for 1Password 7.

• david.m_1P
    edited April 2023

Hi @kelchm , thanks for sharing your thoughts. I've passed your feedback along to our Product team.

PB32120265

• jmanes
    jmanes
    Community Member

I know this is the world's tiniest complaint but I agree with the folks here. Just from a UI fit-and-finish perspective an icon update for the Safari extension could go a long way here.