Usability of Safari extension is on the decline

Options
skyisthelimit
skyisthelimit
Community Member
edited April 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

I am facing an increased number of complications and glitches with the Safari extension on my Apple silicon MacBook.
Running latest MacOS (12.3.1), latest 1Password App (8.7.0), latest Safari (15.4), and latest Safari Extension (2.3.3). Issues:

A) "No items to show" tooltip is intrusive and completely unnecessary. How do I turn the damn thing off?
B) I can no longer unlock the extension from the form field button. Need to click on the extension button on the toolbar now.
C) Multiple websites don't work properly. The extension recognizes that there is an entry but nothing happens when I click on the fill button within the un/pw field. The extension button would sometimes fill in and sometimes it won't. Sometimes it would work after a page refresh, at other times I have to completely quit (command+Q) the browser and reopen the website to get it to work.
D) There are glitches with the autofill URLs generated where some websites don't parse the added URL strings

While the main app has improved leaps & bounds, the Safari extension is getting worse in my experience :(

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• kevin.li
    edited April 2022
    Options

Hi @skyisthelimit,

I'm sorry to hear about the unsatisfying experience you had. Meanwhile, thank you so much for your valuable feedback.

Regarding what you mentioned:

A:

You can change how 1Password behaves in the browser and have it only prompt when you ask for it. Here are the steps:

1. Right-click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings.
    2. Under the Autofill section, disable Show autofill menu on field focus.

The steps above will effectively hide the inline menu. Then, when you want to see it, you can click the blue 1Password icon in the field to view suggestions. In addition, you can quickly close the suggestions by clicking the esc key.

B:

I'm sorry the most recent change didn't fit your preferences. I'd like to offer you some keyboard shortcuts that might help with the situation:
    1. We can use the default shortcut "Shift + Cmd + X" from the 1Password for Safari extension, and it will bring up the unlock window. Once you unlock 1Password, you should see the 1Password for Safari extension dialog in Safari.
    2. We can use the default shortcut "Cmd + \" from 1Password 8, and it will also bring up the unlock window. After unlock, we will see the Quick Access window, and 1Password for Safari should be unlocked as well.

C:

Can you share the websites with me to test?

D:

Do you mean when you create a login item, the appendix of the website's domain didn't get saved?

If so, the behaviour is expected when you are on a sign-up page. For example, we are creating a login item on www.example.com/sign-up. Once the item is saved, 1Password will strip the /sign-up part so that we won't "Open and Fill" on the sign-up page.

Suppose the above is not what you meant. Can you elaborate on what you are experiencing?

• skyisthelimit
    skyisthelimit
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Kevin thanks for the detailed reply.
    A) Your suggestion doesn't fix the problem, the tooltip still appears.
    B) Is that really better vs what was the setup before? Why add additional steps / moves?
    C) Multiple websites, very random as I mentioned: chase, wise, adp, mercedes, github etc. this started recently (a month or so ago).
    D) Sometimes when you select "open & autofill" from 1P App, it open in Safari with a string added to the root URL

• Hey @skyisthelimit:

Thanks for your feedback here.

A) Your suggestion doesn't fix the problem, the tooltip still appears.

There currently isn't a way of completely disabling the "No items to show" dropdown, but I'll definitely share your feedback with the team.

B) Is that really better vs what was the setup before? Why add additional steps / moves?

We're always looking at making 1Password work better for everyone, so I'll share your thoughts on this as well.

C) Multiple websites, very random as I mentioned: chase, wise, adp, mercedes, github etc. this started recently (a month or so ago).

This definitely doesn't sound like the experience we'd expect you to have. We might need to take a closer look at 1Password for Safari. The next time you run into trouble with one of these sites, I'd like you to save a console log for 1Password in your browser. Attach it in an email to support+forum@1password.com along with your username, and we'll be able to take a closer look.

D) Sometimes when you select "open & autofill" from 1P App, it open in Safari with a string added to the root URL

1Password in your browser uses these additional query strings to determine which Login item to fill.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.