Biometrics Requested for Each Repo in VS Code

alexclst
alexclst
Community Member

Since yesterday's 1Password 8 beta update it appears that in VS Code workspaces where I have multiple git repositories, VS Code is causing 1Password's SSH Agent to prompt for biometrics for each one separately. Before this update, it only caused the prompt to come up once. This is a serious usability regression in the SSH Agent. I just wanted to alert 1Password staff to this.

1Password Version: 80700041
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12.3.1

Comments

• jcostom
    jcostom
    Community Member

Gang,

I've been in love with 1P8 up until this release. This one is annoying. Really annoying. Since 80700041 hit my 2 Macs, every time I launch VS Code, and it goes to look at GitHub repos to see if things are up to date, it wants me to place my finger on the sensor for every.single.repo in the workspace I've got loaded. Yes, I counted. 13 repos loaded? 13 times. It's awful. I even tried tricks like launching vscode from inside an iTerm session that already had an authenticated agent session, and it still did it.

Build 28 definitely did not do this. 41 is doing this on both M1 and Intel. Please, make it stop. ;) Thanks for all the great code, folks.

And for the record, my .zshrc concludes with.....

export SSH_AUTH_SOCK=~/.1password/agent.sock

which is a symlink to....

~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/t/agent.sock

1Password Version: 8.7.0 b41
    Extension Version: 2.3.2
    OS Version: macOS 12.3.1

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

I think this post reports the same issue, @jcostom .

• jcostom
    jcostom
    Community Member

Hey! Looks like the same issue indeed. Good to see I'm not losing my marbles. Well, at least I'm not the only one seeing this at least. Perhaps the jury's still out on the other thing. ;) Thanks @MrC .

• jcostom
    jcostom
    Community Member

Confirmed. Same issue here, same combo of bits. Seeing it on both M1 and Intel Macs.

• jcostom
    jcostom
    Community Member

Hey all - problem still exists in build 80700049.

• Hey folks 👋 We are aware of this and our engineering team is working on a fix! We'll post here when we have a further update! Thank you for reporting the behavior!

• P4sca1
    P4sca1
    Community Member

The same issue applies to running an ansible playbook on multiple hosts, which all share the same SSH key.

• alexclst
    alexclst
    Community Member

The latest update has a note about SSH agent in its release notes: "The SSH Agent no longer prompts you to unlock twice." I just wanted to mention that this item is not a fix for what I reported, and I hope the engineers are aware of that.

• @alexclst Yes, that is indeed a separate issue. We're working on a fix for that as well, stay tuned!

• jcostom
    jcostom
    Community Member

Thanks for the update @floris_1P. I was hopeful that 80700090 was going to be a winner, but alas, not to be. My finger's still bobbing up and down every time I open up vscode...

• alexclst
    alexclst
    Community Member

Does the production release of 1Password 8 fix this issue? I cannot find any release notes for us beta users that actually explain the changes between the latest beta and the new production build.

• jcostom
    jcostom
    Community Member

@alexclst unfortunately, it doesn't. Still doing it. I just updated both my M1 and x86 macs to the 1P8 80700098 Production build and it's still happening.

• alexclst
    alexclst
    Community Member

Funny thing is, and I don't know how to feel about this given what you've said, I don't seem to be seeing the issue right now... VS Code at least seems to only be asking for authentication once.

• floris_1P
    edited May 2022

@alexclst @jcostom @P4sca1 The issue has been fixed! Can you see if it works for you now?

• jcostom
    jcostom
    Community Member

Hey @floris_1P! I just updated to 8.8.0-beta 11 and agree that this PR has been squashed. Thanks guys!

• Great!

• alexclst
    alexclst
    Community Member

Nice to hear that it'll be fixed. I'll stay on the production track for now, in part because I've gotten the problem to cease being a thorn in my side by telling VS Code to not automatically fetch from every repository at window load. Since this behavior works fine for me, even with the update I may not switch the setting back.

• srcoder
    srcoder
    Community Member

Hi all, still have the problem with ansible provisioning, need to provide my finger for every host command. Even a simple ping to multiple hosts will make my GUI pop-ups go bazinka.

Running 8.8.0-126.BETA

My logs flood with:

INFO  2022-06-15T17:33:57.421 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(1)) [1P:foundation/op-sys-info/src/process_information/linux.rs:367] no GUI info available to determine top level parent

It even made me export the key, because it is not do-able on a daily base working on multiple hosts. If there is other information I can provide, let me know, thanks in advance.

• @srcoder could you please try to reproduce the issue and submit an SSH diagnostics report as described in this guide?

• srcoder
    srcoder
    Community Member

@Marton.Soos_1P I've send the file and a detailed description of the workflow.

• Hey @srcoder, stepping in for Marton. Thanks for submitting! I'll follow up with the SSH team and see if we can narrow down the issue.

This discussion has been closed.