v8 Ability to reorder/arrange fields

Comments

• @derekkcmo / @William1P / @dave_:

Thanks for your feedback here. I've noted all of your feedback internally.

Would returning to v7 be as simple as reinstalling it? Should I uninstall v8 first? Any gotchas? I can't have both at the same time, can I?

If you'd like to switch back to 1Password 7, uninstall 1Password 8 first, then install 1Password 7 from our downloads page: https://1password.com/downloads

Jack

• dave_
    dave_
    Community Member

Thanks, @Jack.P_1P!

• Hi @dave_, I'm glad Jack's advice has been helpful here - and would like to thank you for your considerate feedback as well. As always, if there's anything further we can help with from here, do let us know!

• Kyushin
    Kyushin
    Community Member

+1 Clearly a very useful feature ! I didn't understand how it could be deleted in v8.
    We can't going back to v7 because of very slow search issue...
    Do you have visibility of when this feature will be re-implement ?

We have thousands of entries with a lots of sections. We can't handle any modification of fields without deleting every fields of section and recreate them one by one without any mistake...

• Hi @Kyushin, thanks for the vote here.

While I can't share anything about feature progress (before a feature or improvement is released), this is something we're tracking closely, and we recognize the customer demand for it. I have just added your vote to our existing internal issue around this feature, and hope that the updates to come will impress you.

• VPinformatique
    VPinformatique
    Community Member

add my vote for this feature please!

• Terylon
    Terylon
    Community Member

@PeterG_1P: Please do not include into internal discussion but into the app: Moving fields and moving whole sections! Thanks. ;-)

• Hi @Terylon

Please do not include into internal discussion but into the app

Respectfully, I can't make promises about what will be included in future versions of the app. But I can promise to represent your views, accurately and in full, to the development team who prioritize and implement future improvements. Thank you for your understanding.

• Terylon
    Terylon
    Community Member

Hello @PeterG_1P
    I appreciate nothing more than someone who is committed to the needs and wishes of their customers. Thank you for your tireless efforts! Thank you!

• And thank you @Terylon (and everyone in this thread) for giving us valuable insight on what we can do to give you a better experience! 😄

• Clem
    Clem
    Community Member

I don't get why this feature has been removed in V8, this is a real pain in the ass... Count me in for the votes ! :)

• Hi @Clem, your vote has now been counted. 👍 Thanks for weighing in on the topic!

ref: IDEA-I-372

• mazo089
    mazo089
    Community Member
    edited April 2022

Just signed up for the community just to leave another vote for this.

Also important for the mobile app!

To be honest, I wish such basic functionality that was already present in v7 would get priority over e.g. a Watchtower score that can be shared via Twitter.

• Hello @mazo089, thanks for joining us. 👋

I have cast a vote on your behalf. Thanks for letting us know where you'd like to see the changes!

• Steven78
    Steven78
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

Hello!
    I just updated to 8.7.0 on Windows 11 - but it seems it's still not possible to reorder fields? :-/
    Currently I'm using my mac or iPhone to do this. I'm lacking any motivation to upgrade to version 8 on my mac because of this.
    It's a littlebit hard to understand why such a basic feature is missing.

• Thanks for sharing your thoughts, @Steven78.

You're right, the latest release does not have support for reordering fields. This is something we're actively exploring and I expect will be added in the not-to-distant future. While a lot of work remains, I wanted to share that the design team has designed how this feature will look and feel and the dev team has gotten things far enough along that I was able to see a video of it in action. Again, I need to stress a lot of work remains and this will not be included in the immediate future, but I wanted to share that it has bubbled up on our priority list.

As for "why", reordering of fields was something we deliberately left out of 1Password 8 during the design process as we were hoping to simplify things. I was hopeful that we could win with a "less is more" approach but I found myself missing this feature as much as you are. I'm happy that we tried and I'm happy that we changed our minds. Live and learn. 🙏

++dave;
    1Password Founder

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Live and learn. 🙏

Great to read that, @dteare ! ❤️

• wagnerone
    wagnerone
    Community Member

+1 from me. Thanks!

• Vote counted, @wagnerone. 🙏

• guskou
    guskou
    Community Member

+1 from me as well... thanks!

• prakharaug
    prakharaug
    Community Member

I wanted to share that the design team has designed how this feature will look and feel and the dev team has gotten things far enough along that I was able to see a video of it in action.

@dteare This is what I love about 1Password. You guys listen to your customers, deliver as much as you can, and also share the other side of the story ❤❤

• chris55
    chris55
    Community Member

@sveltemimemansion

If you’re trying to give them feedback on their product, this is extremely vague.

Assuming you’re referring to the ability to reorder fields, as that is the topic you are writing in, the lack of this feature in V8 (which is soon to be added from comments made by 1P staff) hardly makes it unstable or un useable. Annoying perhaps, frustrating that it’s a regression, yes.

• PeterG_1P
    edited May 2022

Hi @sveltemimemansion, I'm sorry to learn that this is your experience. Most of the feedback we've received about 1Password 8 for Mac has been positive, but if you're encountering usability issues we'll be happy to both assist directly (feel free to reach out to us at support@1Password.com for personalized assistance) as well as take your feedback into account by incorporating it into our development going forward.

I have cast a vote on your behalf for the re-ordering of fields, and our founder Dave mentioned that this is something that is on it's way already in any case. But if there's anything more we can do to help, let me know!

• Steven78
    Steven78
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

I haven't tested the mac version of 1Password 8 yet, but I really love the Windows version. I can't understand the criticism about Electron - the application is fast, stable and looks awesome.
    I completely understand the need to simplify things and clean up the UI (and everything else) from time to time.
    In general version 8 and the general development is in the right direction IMHO - currently I'm fighting at my job for our company to embrace 1Password.

The simplification just went too far at 2 points for me: No reordering of fields - and no default vault.
    I hope this will be added soon.

Keep on the great work!

• Thank you for the kind words @Steven78 and @prakharaug. 🤗 And thank you everyone else for your understanding as we work towards bringing the ability to reorder fields back.

Regarding default vault for saving, can you please add your voice to the 1Password 8 (Mac) missing option set a default "save to" vault thread? There's also screenshot from Tommy there that might be what you're looking for. If not, we'd love to understand your use case better.

Take care and enjoy your weekend. ✌️

++dave;
    1Password Founder

This discussion has been closed.