To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

1password standalone

Options
JDW1
JDW1
Community Member
edited May 2022 in Memberships

I am in the same catch-22 as a lot of other users and frustrating that you are not listening to your long time customers with regards to standalone- this community site has many users posting about this. Keep in mind most people want password management to be a set and forget and the landscape is littered with companies that thought they "knew better" than their customers. Yes I have read your rationale for membership, but clearly that is not a one-size fits all solution or you would. I am fine paying you for membership (and other customers have stated that as well), but we want a standalone version the key differentiator why many choose your product in the first place.

Please confirm that if I didn't already buy a standalone license for 1password 7 (had paid version 6 that I had been using until recent Chrome update made it unusable) that it is no longer possible to purchase 1password7 license and even if I pay for a membership (regular or discount) that that will not provide me ability to continue with standalone?
Further please confirm that even if I can use use standalone with a membership for now - that in the next version I will not be able to do standalone.

Hope you are taking the feedback that customers are providing seriously - you say you want us to stay customers, but are pushing us away.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:standalone

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited April 2022
    Options

Hello @JDW1! 👋

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback! We appreciate that you've stuck with 1Password for so many years! I'm happy to answer your questions.

You're correct that we're no longer selling licenses for 1Password 7. The only way to use 1Password going forward is by signing up for a membership. You can read more about our decision to go all in on 1Password.com here: What is the future of local/standalone vaults? — 1Password Support Community

You can still enable a standalone vault in 1Password 7 even if you're using a membership but standalone vaults won't be supported in 1Password 8.

Standalone vaults were used before we introduced 1Password accounts and relied on third-party services like iCloud or Dropbox for sync which caused issues when those third-party service changed their API, updated their apps, or went offline. We ran up against the limits of standalone vaults and what they could support technologically and we introduced 1Password.com to push what 1Password can do forward. With 1Password.com we were to introduce stronger security and encryption, family sharing, account recovery, two-factor authentication, automated data backups, and much much more.

Out of curiosity, what are your reasons for wanting to continue using a standalone vault? I'd love to hear your thoughts and, if you have the time, then I invite you to fill out a special survey that we created to investigate the potential of offering a self-hosted version of 1Password in the future: Self-hosted 1Password kick-starter

If you're interested, we're currently offering very large discounts on 1Password memberships to customers who have been longtime license users. I recommend that you email our dedicated migration team at support+tradein@1password.com. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly support assistant, with a support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Please post the Support ID here and I'll make sure that your email gets to our migration team so that they can offer you a heavily discounted membership. 😊

• JDW1
    JDW1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P
    I filled out your survey and emailed migration team. Waiting for the support iID (should it have come back immediately?).

Just to confirm if I accept the “two week trial” on 1password7 so I am not in limbo while deciding whether to continue with you - what do I do to ensure none of my data automatically syncs to your server?

Thanks!

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2022
    Options

@JDW1

Please check your inbox. I see a reply went out about 7ish hours ago. I have just resent that message. Your support id is LKB-56114-492.

ref: LKB-56114-492

• JDW1
    JDW1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P
    Got it thanks! Please confirm that by using the two week trial or purchasing a membership that none of my data automatically syncs to your server???

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2022
    Options

@JDW1

That is not correct. 1Password membership is a hosted service.

Ben

• JDW1
    JDW1
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben @Dave_1P I understand it is a hosted service, but see above where Dave says you can use stand alone vault in 1password7 - that is why I am asking him for confirmation of whether data”automatically” syncs when you start the membership or if the sync is user controlled.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@JDW1

Thank you for the reply. While it is possible to have a "hybrid" setup, where you have both a 1Password account as well as a standalone vault on the same device, I don't recommend using that sort of setup and instead recommend that you migrate your data from your old standalone vault to your new 1Password account.

I see that our migration team is waiting for your reply and they would be in the best position to advise you on the available options. I recommend responding to their email so that they can take a deeper look at how you're using 1Password currently and advise you on the best path forward as it concerns your specific situation.

Once you reply to the migration team's email please let me know and I'll get your ticket chased for you so that you get a quick response. 😊

• JDW1
    JDW1
    Community Member
    Options

[#LKB-56114-492] @Dave_1P - I responded to customer support, but similar to you they are "Very vague"., so being helpful and responsive, while not actually being helpful You have made it clear what 1Password wants/prefers users to do. You have been less clear about what a customer can/cannot do with your current offerings to continue to use your product in their preferred way.

Since you "don't recommend" I'll take that to mean you do not in fact support stand alone in 1password7 even by buying a membership and that if you purchase a 1password7 membership the data automatically syncs to your servers and there is not a code path that allows the user to not have this happen.

• Kakkoister2
    Kakkoister2
    Community Member
    Options

@JDW1 I just wanted to add as a user of 1PW through their hosted service. For the last three years, it’s been an amazing service, I couldn’t ever live without 1PW after using it that’s for sure. One thing I like is that it does auto backups, that’s one less thing for me to worry about, your data will be fully encrypted with your account password and your secret key, so it is absolutely safe, not even 1P staff can see your data. I understand, you’re looking to self host your own vault, but I think you would really enjoy the convenience of using sync through 1P itself, have you ever thought about trying it? What are your worries against it?

• Tenchu81
    Tenchu81
    Community Member
    Options

I also prefer stand alone option. I keep a backup on my local Mac drive and use Apple service to sync all my devices. I also have a local server that backup my Mac. I can do my own management of the 1Password vault, so I don't have to paid fees. I have purchased every version of your app. I can understand that membership fee will generate more revenue for you, but not everyone needs online hosting of the 1Password vault. Your reason for other online service going offline also can apply to your service (it is an online service too). 1Password 7 worked perfect for me due to the option of me using my own backup. I hope option of self-hosting will be implemented in the future.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@Tenchu81 Since you run a local server, I would recommend you fill in the survey at https://survey.1password.com/self-host/ AgileBits are considering the possibility of lwtting 1PW store its database on a local server rather than on their servers. Of course, this may not come to anything, but it is evidently under serious consideration, and would solve problems some users face.

@JDW1 It should be possible to ensure that your data is kept entirely local, as long as you stick to 1PW7 and don't upgrade to 1PW8. In the first place, you need to check Local Vaults in the Advanced section of preferences. This provides a vault that never syncs to the servers. Second, you need to be sure that your data NEVER gets on to the servers, even initially. I have a vague recollection that if you upgrade from 1PW6 to 1PW7, you data will be put in the local vault but will also (which is more convenient for most users) will be copied to a vault that does sync with the servers. If that is so, one solution would be to have your computer disconnected from the internet (or use a program like Little Snitch to prevent connection to 1PW servers), delete all the data in the vault that syncs, and then connect to the internet again. Another possibility would be to export the data from 1PW6, set up 1PW7 with no data in it, and then import the data into the local vault.

Don't trust me on these suggestions, I know a fair bit about 1PW but I am not that much of an expert. But I do suspect one of the two would work. More of a hassle setting up, but only initially.

• JDW1
    JDW1
    Community Member
    Options

@danco Thanks! That is very helpful and also I did fill out the survey.

@tomatoshadow2 and what if 1password is incorrect that “it is absolutely safe” - easy to make claims like that, but if something happens the company will apologize and you will be left to cleanup the mess.

• Kakkoister2
    Kakkoister2
    Community Member
    Options

@JDW1 I’m just not understanding where your distrust is? 1PW is a security product, why would you ever want to use a security product, that is not current? It’s just not good practice. 1PW8 is the future. For myself I have never had any issues whatsoever, like I said you should try it before going on against it. The 1PW.com use is so seamless

• Dave_1P
    Options

@tomatoshadow2

Thank you for your input! I'm really happy to hear that you're enjoying the security and convenience of your 1Password account. 😊

@Tenchu81

Thank you for sharing your specific use case, as @danco mentioned please fill out our self-hosting survey so that we can learn more about your needs when it comes to a potential self-hosted version of 1Password. We look forward to hearing from you and learning more!

1Password memberships are the future and, if you're interested, our founder Dave wrote a great post illuminating the next generation of 1Password here: The future of local/standalone vaults — 1Password Support Community

@JDW1

1Password accounts provide higher security than older standalone vaults synced using a third-party service. Unlike older standalone vaults that are only protected using your password, your 1Password account data is protected and encrypted using a secret that is derived from both your account password and your Secret Key. A regular user's password is usually about 40 bits of entropy (a measure of how strong a password is) because passwords need to be memorized, this puts a ceiling on the security of your standalone vault. On the other hand, the Secret Key (which does not have to be memorized) has 128 bits of entropy which makes it impossible to guess or crack using today's technology.

You can read more about our security design here: About the 1Password security model

I see that my colleague has responded to your email, please continue the conversation there so that we can provide a tailored solution for you and so that we can learn more about your specific concerns regarding standalone vaults. I'm closing this thread so that the conversation isn't happening twice in two different places. 🙂

ref: LKB-56114-492

This discussion has been closed.