How to create an entry to auto fill Mac user password

ridogi
ridogi
Community Member

The version 8 website shows autofilling the computer password, such as unlocking System Preferences. I see creating a login item for apple.com causes it to populate the suggestion along with actual website apple.com logins. Is this the intended way to do this or is there a way to make an entry that shows up for the OS but not when on apple.com website?

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1

Comments

• Hey @ridogi:

Great question! If you choose New Item, then search for "Mac", you should see an entry for "Mac User Account Password" where you can fill in your information. Let me know how you get on with that.

Jack

• ridogi
    ridogi
    Community Member

Yes that works. I see it is a login with a linked app. Will these have a default custom icon at some point? Are there other "hidden" types of entries you can only get to by searching?

• fuchsr
    fuchsr
    Community Member

I can't see this. 80700095, on BETA channel

• @fuchsr

Due to us not wanting to spoil the surprise for everyone before launch day, you'll likely not see this until the next beta release. That typically happens on Tuesdays.

• fuchsr
    fuchsr
    Community Member

As I mentioned in another thread, as a beta tester "not spoiling the surprise" is a kick to the teeth. Beta testers are willing to suffer through bugs and whatnot but then important features like this get released without testing? The logic of that beats me but it makes me certainly consider seriously jumping off the beta channel.

• ridogi
    ridogi
    Community Member

Meaning custom icon is coming in a beta, or new types of entries?

Here is what I used as a custom icon.

• Hey @ridogi:

It looks like we may have gotten our wires crossed. While I don't know if there's any default icons coming soon, it seems like you've caught onto a great icon to use for the time being.

Jack

• jamesrose_sf
    jamesrose_sf
    Community Member

I'm on 1P for Mac 8.9.10 and I don't see that "Mac User Account Password". What am I doing wrong?

• @jamesrose_sf

Since Jack last posted in May, Mac User Account Password has been renamed to Mac login to make it clearer to folks what this item type is for. In the window that you posted, you can select Mac login.

I hope that helps! 🙂

-Dave

• jamesrose_sf
    jamesrose_sf
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

Hi @Dave_1P, thanks for your reply. I wasn't able to get the sudo command to bring up 1P, so I looked at the instructions, but those weren't written for Ventura. I did go to Privacy & Security → Automation →1Password, but there are no options for iTerm or Terminal (as written in your support pages)

What are the correct steps for Ventura?

• jamesrose_sf
    jamesrose_sf
    Community Member

Here's what it looks like on my computer:

• @jamesrose_sf

Thank you for the reply and the screenshots. Have you already setup Universal Autofill to use the Accessibility permission as outlined here:

If you haven't then please do so. Next, you can't manually add the Automation permission but 1Password requests it the first time that you try to fill into the Terminal app. Open Terminal and run a sudo command, when you see the Terminal prompt for your password please press Command-Backslash (). You should now see a prompt from macOS that 1Password wants to control your terminal app. Click OK to turn on the Automation preference for 1Password.

Let me know if that doesn't work. 🙂

-Dave

• jamesrose_sf
    jamesrose_sf
    Community Member

@Dave_1P, thanks, it works now. The part I was missing was not the Universal Autofill config, but the Command-Backslash, which was not specified in the instructions (I was trying Command-Shift-Spacebar which was not working for this.

• @jamesrose_sf

You can find the keyboard shortcut documented further up on that page in the "Fill in apps and browsers" here: Fill in apps and browsers

That being said, I'm happy that everything is working now. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.