SSH Client Compatibility

With the many SSH clients out there, not every one of those supports every SSH agent configuration option.

To save you some headaches, we've been testing a lot of popular SSH & Git clients lately ourselves, and we've assembled our findings into this page:

https://developer.1password.com/docs/ssh/agent/compatibility

We'd love to hear from you in the thread below which SSH clients you feel are missing from this list!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• floris_1P
    edited March 2022

The tools we'll be covering next on the compatibility page:

• Terraform
    • Ansible
    • TablePlus (SSH tunneling)
    • DataGrip (SSH tunneling)
    • Capistrano
    • csshX
    • rsync
    • WinSCP
  • Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

Putty is missing. As far as I know, it's a quite popular ssh client for Windows.
    Putty's agent called pageant is actually using the same mechanism as the Windows OpenSSH client, only the name of the named pipe for communication is different. The only thing you seem to need to add is a named pipe with the same naming scheme as Putty.

• joshrsmith
    joshrsmith
    Community Member

I would love to see Putty and/or MobaXTerm (can use pageant)

• Sylv1
    Sylv1
    Community Member

I would love to see PuTTY, both putty.exe and plink.exe since the last one can be used as SSH channel for git for windows through git config core.sshCommand or GIT_SSH environment variable

• meilon
    meilon
    Community Member

I would also love pageant support, mostly for KiTTy (which itself is based on PuTTy)

• Cu3PO42
    Cu3PO42
    Community Member

While it would be nice if Pageant were supported natively, you can get this working right now by installing winssh-pageant.

• raves
    raves
    Community Member

Be great to see support for ssh(nassh) Chrome extension which is super useful.

• CactusBoi
    CactusBoi
    Community Member

I'd love to see some support for Sequel Ace too.

If you are on Mac and don't use TablePlus there's a 99% chance that you are using Sequel Ace.

• scottaw
    scottaw
    Community Member

I cannot get either Fork or GitKraken working using the SSH_AUTH_SOCK method. Works fine with git CLI however.

• scottaw
    scottaw
    Community Member

Re my above comment: Once I logged out on the Mac and logged back in again, the SSH_AUTH_SOCK export started working for the apps I tried it with. Unfortunately Fork doesn't support GPG.format = ssh so GitKraken it is (although truthfully I just use git cli for most things).

• repoles
    repoles
    Community Member

Hi @floris_1P 👋

Do you have any results from your compatibility test with DataGrip (SSH tunneling)? I'm trying to create the SSH tunnel. When I click to test the connection, the 1Password authorization modal is opened, but after I authenticate, the connection fails and DataGrip shows the message "cannot connect to remote host".

• leecolarelli
    leecolarelli
    Community Member

@floris_1P I had an issue getting 1Password to work with TablePlus for ages, then once I'd enabled SSH Debug Log in TablePlus and started the app via the command line, it requested access from 1Password and worked correctly. There is some issue going on there.

See this Github thread for more details, including mine and the authors posts, which both had the same issue - https://github.com/TablePlus/TablePlus/issues/2645

• signe
    signe
    Community Member

@Cu3PO42 That was exactly what I needed... thanks!

Doesn't mean I wouldn't rather have it built into 1P, but that solved the immediate issue.

• suabahasa
    suabahasa
    Community Member

TablePlus (SSH tunneling) for windows seems not supported yet

• @repoles Could you try if this fixes it for you?

• repoles
    repoles
    Community Member

Sure. I gonna try.

• solarizde
    solarizde
    Community Member

Would be great if there would an option to get very needed tools like WinSCP and MobaXterm working with that. Even with winssh-pageant I do not get moba and winscp to work.

• lukasberan
    lukasberan
    Community Member

WinSCP would be highly appreciated. Please add support for 1password SSH integration with WinSCP.

• Hi @lukasberan:

Thanks for sharing! While I can't promise anything, I'll share your thoughts with the team.

Jack

• Enceladus
    Enceladus
    Community Member

The tools we'll be covering next on the compatibility page:

• Terraform
    • Ansible

@floris_1P is there any update about Ansible compatibility? I'm running into a weird error in an Ansible setup that does a git pull on a remote server. I have two SSH keys in 1Password (one for my webserver and one for github/gitlab). I can use either of them independently just fine on my computer. SSH forwarding works fine normally: I can SSH into the webserver and git pull manually, and 1Password prompts me for permission to use the Github key and everything works. But when I try to run an Ansible playbook doing the exact same thing, I get an error that signing failed for ED25519 \"GitHub/GitLab SSH Auth Key\" from agent: communication with agent failed

• zenzip
    zenzip
    Community Member

Any chance to see MobaXterm support ??? Could be great ...

• Mauriced
    Mauriced
    Community Member

Hi, according to the compatibility list Putty is not compatible with 1password. Does this mean it is never gonna be supported, or is this somewhere on the feature request list?

• greenfish29
    greenfish29
    Community Member

Is it possible to add support for Xcode? Or is the ball in Apple's court?

• KiwiDE
    KiwiDE
    Community Member

+1 for WinSCP