Desktop app stopped syncing (Win11 / 8.7.0)

Options

Tried various restarts, logouts, logins.
I think there briefly was an error message saying that it could not establish connection, but I did not notice a solution offered.

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: 2.3.2
OS Version: Win11

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @andx1pw,

I'm sorry to hear you're having an issue updating your 1Password account. Could you email us your 1Password diagnostics report, so we could take a look at what's blocking it from syncing.

Here's how to generate the report on Windows

Please email the report to support+windows@1password.com and in your email, also include:

Please let us know here when you've sent it, so we could look for it.

Thank you.

• andx1pw
    andx1pw
    Community Member
    Options

done. thank you

• MikeT
    Options

We got the report and we will reply to your email very soon.

ref: SYY-19735-141

• andx1pw
    andx1pw
    Community Member
    Options

I have it again. And this time I manually logged out from the desktop app - 3 times - logged back in, confirmed via OTP, all looks properly done.

But the desktop app will not sync.

• andx1pw
    andx1pw
    Community Member
    Options

After restarting the PC, the desktop requests the OTP again, which I feel it should not do after only 20hr. But even that does not get the desktop app to sync.

I do agree that this could be me being confused about the OTP. But how can I ever know which 1Password-element currently asks for the OTP? I have three PCs, each with four browsers, each with the desktop app, and some with additional browser profiles. Plus two mobile devices. So, at least 21 1Password-things could send me an OTP at any given time, and there is simply no way for me to know which one has sent the current OTP request.

It seems that I do get the OTP (for the desktop app that is not syncing), I do confirm it correctly via the mobile app, I get correctly sent from the desktop browser to the desktop app - and now the desktop app should be unlocked/confirmed and syncing, but it isn't.

• andx1pw
    andx1pw
    Community Member
    Options

Just to confirm, what I call OTP you seem to be calling MFA? Same, same but different.

• andx1pw
    andx1pw
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Oh, wow. On "save" for a new item in the desktop app, MFA was requested, worked, and now it does sync.

• rob
    Options

So, at least 21 1Password-things could send me an OTP at any given time, and there is simply no way for me to know which one has sent the current OTP request.

There may be some confusion about how one-time passwords work in 1Password. For multi-factor authentication (MFA), 1Password uses time-based one-time passwords (TOTP), which means they are not ever sent anywhere. Any app that can generate TOTPs does so based on the current time. So any time you are asked for a TOTP, you can use the current value shown in your authenticator app.

Oh, wow. On "save" for a new item in the desktop app, MFA was requested, worked, and now it does sync.

I'm not sure what happened, but I'm glad to hear it's working again. If you have further problems, please let us know!

• andx1pw
    andx1pw
    Community Member
    Options

There may be some confusion about how one-time passwords work in 1Password.

I meant the 1Password MFA. The one that sends me to your mobile app MFA provider, I don't know their name.

• rob
    Options

Hmm, are you referring to Duo? That is one of the MFA options we offer, but only for business accounts, and as far as I know you shouldn't be needing one-time passwords when you use it. It's just a confirmation popup on your phone, at least that's what it's been when I've used it. It's certainly possible that some confusion around that contributed to the issue, though I can't say I know for sure what.

This discussion has been closed.