1P8 QuickAccess requires more work to use...

on 1P7, I would often press command-option-\ to pull up the 1Password helper (or whatever it was called. From there I could type in a search for my wife's social security number. It would pull up a window that showed the details for her SSN. I could press and hold the option key and it would reveal her SSN and I could just remember the last 4 digits, and type them into whatever thing I needed to enter them in. All the 1p7 interface would go away as soon as this was done. I could also very easily using the keyboard arrow keys, tab over to her SSN and copy it to the clipboard for later pasting. I could do this win any field - awesome for entering credit cards on a site where 1Password can't detect the correct places for entering this data.

WIth 1 Password 8, this is all much harder to do. If I now choose to "view details" of my credit card, or my wife's SSN, I get a window that pops up not he screen. I must now use my mouse to copy and paste the pieces that I need, and simply holding down Option does not reveal the secrets, unless I have clicked in this new window first to give it focus.

Also, that window hands around indefinitely (at least until 1Pass next locks itself. I want the 1Pass 7 functionality returned to the quick action or menubar helper.

Also Also, when in a web page, and 1Password wants to be helpful, it puts the 1Password logo in the fields it thinks it can fill. But tabbing to the field does not trigger 1Password to fill the password. I need to manually click the 1password logo to get it to offer me choices to fill. This again requires me to move my hands form the keyboard. You are slowing me down.

Lastly, if I press cmd-opt-\ Quick Access pops up and I have to search for the thing I want - the 1Pass 7 way of doing things more often than not had the correct item already selected when I pressed cmd-option-\

Really, to be honest, using 1password 8 is like pulling teeth. I have been using it for many weeks now and I cannot get used to the changes to quick access. I don't like it. Please abandon this direction or I may seriously need to abandon 1Password myself.

Quick Access is a mistake.

1Password Version: 8.7.0 80700095
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: 12.3.1

Comments

• Hi @thewellington, thanks for this thoughtful and detailed critique.

The kind of workflows you've described here are something we're very interested in. I can really appreciate what you're saying - it sounds like you're looking for short, elegant paths that get you where you want to go. Makes sense to me!

Quick Access is an active area of focus for us here, partly because we think it has so much potential. There's a lot of things it already does really well, but development on Quick Access has by no means halted - it'll continue to evolve. I wish that I could offer a more substantive response at the moment, but just want to reassure you that this kind of intuitive quality, that efficiency and element of elegance, is something we also value highly. The kind of workflows you describe are certainly always on our minds.

TL;DR: We're always trying to make 1Password the best it can be, and I hope that our efforts to come in this area will delight you.

• @thewellington As a developer that implemented the original 1Password mini, I did miss it in the beginning. However, after using the Quick Access, I do think that the new workflow is better. It does not copy what the main 1Password window already does, instead it provides a different, keyboard-oriented interface. Do you see the option to copy the SSN number with ⌘C?

Re: 1Password logo in the fields. When using the mouse, I find that selecting the field usually automatically shows the popup with the login options — there is no need to click on the logo. Also, I started to go back to using the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut again now that it is available with 1Password 8.

• Thanks for the feedback, @thewellington. I wanted to take a minute to respond to some specific points.

If I now choose to "view details" of my credit card, or my wife's SSN, I get a window that pops up not he screen. I must now use my mouse to copy and paste the pieces that I need, and simply holding down Option does not reveal the secrets, unless I have clicked in this new window first to give it focus.

I'm not able to reproduce this behavior, but it's possible it changed in a recent version. I'm on 80800004 (nightly). Here's what I did:

1. In Quick Access, search for an item.
    2. Press Cmd-O to open the new window.
    3. Hold the Option key => this reveals the password. The window was focused when it was opened, so no extra click is needed.
    4. Press up and down arrow keys to highlight the desired field.
    5. Press enter to copy it.

At this point I can choose to close the window or leave it open. This is different from the old 1Password mini behavior, but it's still keyboard accessible (Cmd-W), and I think it provides a nice level of flexibility so that if I'm needing to copy more than one field I can easily switch back and forth and do that.

Could you test again and let me know if you're still seeing something different?

But tabbing to the field does not trigger 1Password to fill the password. I need to manually click the 1password logo to get it to offer me choices to fill.

We may have a bug here. I just saw the same thing, but then remembered that that's not how it used to work. I went to the extension settings and found the option in the screenshot below, which was turned on, but when I went back to the sign-in page I was testing (in this case GitHub) it the menu definitely was not appearing when the field was focused. I toggled the switch off and on and behold it worked. Can you try that and let me know if that causes the menu to open when you tab to a sign-in field?

(To get to this setting, open the main extension window, click the icon in the top right corner, and select Settings from the dropdown.)

Lastly, if I press cmd-opt-\ Quick Access pops up and I have to search for the thing I want

We have some work in progress that I think will get this working the way you expect with some icing on top, so stay tuned. 😎

• awesome for entering credit cards on a site where 1Password can't detect the correct places for entering this data.

Oh! One other thing I love about opening the item in a new window is that for the really annoying sites that don't want you to paste in their fields (I often see this with bank account numbers or routing numbers), you can actually drag and drop fields from the 1Password item window into the website field. This has saved me a great deal of annoyance in the past.

• We have some work in progress that I think will get this working the way you expect with some icing on top, so stay tuned. 😎

And the secret's out! Quick Access can now fill in your browser as well as other apps. 🎉

• @thewellington there is certainly a limit on number of keyboard shortcuts even though @danvpeterson had an idea about making it possible. There are currently 3 shortcuts for credit cards:

• volts
    volts
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

When you copy a Username/Password/OTP, that's the Primary/Secondary/Tertiary element.
    The same thing applies for card numbers - the Primary/Secondary/Tertiary elements.

The keyboard shortcuts are the same in both cases! I like the consistency.

• That is pretty nice, @volts. 😄

• Really good to hear the feedback here. As the designer that worked on Quick Access, we've tried hard to nail the user experience with a focus on speed and enabling the use cases our user testing showed as the most useful. I'm sure there are some we've missed though, and we will definitely continue looking to improve it so thank you for coming to the forums and sharing your pain points. I have soooooo many ideas in my head that I still want to get in there myself!

As Roustem and others pointed out, right now we focused the copy shortcuts on the three fields that we considered the "primary/secondary/tertiary fields" for each type of item and tried to do a lot of user testing and outreach to find out what folks wanted from those. I do have some ideas on how to potentially expand this and to look at other additional features. I will definitely keep pushing to get back in there and work on this more.

Re: "why do I need the browser extension? Should I get rid of it?" ... the browser extension enables additional functionality like the menu that shows up right in the page where appropriate to bring your items to you, rather than you having to go to 1Password to find them. It makes saving new Logins much easier rather than having to create them manually. And it also makes filling even better in a few ways because of it's different ways of reading the web page details. As well as unique functionality like the new masked email feature and a bunch more.

1. I have tried turning off and on again the AutoFill in the 1password extension for Safari. Still when I tab to a password field in my browser the menu does not reliably appear.

Ok. By "does not reliably appear" do you mean that on some websites it does and on others it doesn't? Or that even on the same page sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't? I'd like to figure out what's going on here so we can investigate.

1. QuickAccess does not autofill anything. Instead it insists on opening a new copy of the webpage in a new tab and filling credentials there!

Hmm, this sounds like a bug too. If you're already on the page listed in the item, it should fill directly on that page. Is this also for specific sites or across the board?

1. IF the 1Password window is open when you trigger QuickAccess and select View Details, then the 1Password window is what has focus, not the details window

Boy, I'm still not able to reproduce this. I opened the 1Password window, then invoked Quick Access with Command-Shift-Space, then Command-O on the first item shown there and the details window opens with focus properly set.

Also... if QuickAccess is so wonderful and can fill any field on my Mac, why do I need the browser extension? Should I get rid of it?

Dan clarified this, but it is up to you, yeah. I found it really amazing to disable the Safari extension and still be able to sign into sites with a single keyboard shortcut. I ended up enabling the extension again when I happened upon a page that Quick Access wasn't able to fill. 🙈 But I would have enabled it again anyway for the other reasons Dan mentioned.

Is there a matrix of what version I should be running? Like If you run 1Password 8.7 you should be running Browser extension v3 and CLI v2?

You probably want to be on the latest versions of everything, yeah. The latest browser extensions can operate independently of any desktop app, but they can also integrate with the desktop apps in nice ways. On the CLI front, the work we've been doing with Touch ID and SSH keys is also only in the latest versions of the apps.

This discussion has been closed.