How to save to default vault 1Password 8 Mac & iOS

kevinob
kevinob
Community Member
edited June 2022 in Families

Need to set up auto saving of passwords to shared vault. Setting up for my parents and do not want them to save to their private vaults.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:default vault

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2022

@kevinob

The 1Password folks will likely provide a more thorough reply soon, but until then, see the last bullet point, for their platform, in the Manage your settings section of this article (first bullet for Android).

I believe new Generated Passwords items always go to the Private vault.

You might want to state which platform and 1Password versions they are using.

• kevinob
    kevinob
    Community Member

Thanks for the help here. Asking for latest iOS version and 1Password 8 for Mac (version 8.7.0; 80700095, on BETA channel)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@kevinob

I don't see the option to select the default vault for new items in 1Password 8 beta, nor does the user in this post. If this is important, your parents should use version 7 until version 8 gets the feature.

The link I posted earlier indicates the location to change, for 1Password for iOS.

• Hi @kevinob:

As @MrC noted, there currently isn't a way of defining an overarching default vault in 1Password 8. With that said though, I've shared your thoughts internally on a feature request we have for this to make a return.

Jack

ref: IDEA-I-292

• dbabq
    dbabq
    Community Member

As a longtime user of 1Password, this feature omission really complicates the app for me. I am on the Family plan and I want the default vault to be the one that I share with my wife. I also help manage my parents' 1Password vaults, and it will thoroughly confuse them to have their passwords saved to private vaults that they don't share with me. You really do need to bring this functionality back to 1Password 8!

• MiF
    MiF
    Community Member

I have been using 1Password for a few years now, I have 3 accounts and now there is a problem in version 8 with the default vault for storing new passwords. I have been using different default vaults on each device. At work Private for work account etc. Do you foresee this as an option in future updates?

• @MiF @kevinob @dbabq

Are you referring to the browser? Have you tried changing the option within 1Password in the browser? Does that happen to help?

• wildedave
    wildedave
    Community Member

No. Unfortunately that option makes no difference.

• dbabq
    dbabq
    Community Member

I have made that change, but I'm talking about 1Password preferences in the main app.

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2022

@dbabq

Thanks for the followup I'll let the developers know this is something that you are keen on seeing.

ref: IDEA-I-292

Same traffic aka I'll let them know this matters to you also. @wildedave 🙂

• zeppis
    zeppis
    Community Member

Agreed! Default vault for save is a key feature that needs to return to v8

• Got it!

• aquafarr
    aquafarr
    Community Member

+1 no +15
    We have 15 team members at our company and changing the default vault for saving is a must have. Admins can not access the contents of the team members' private vaults. Most of what our team saves is not private - it is company IP. Extrapolating this they are on a company owned machine using a company provided software.

Real world examples- If a team member creates a log-in for a client's instagram account by default it goes in their private vault. They use this log-in day in and day out with no issue. This team member goes on vacation** - no one else can access the log in**. It's really a big problem for us. To avoid this we create a vault "- Team - FirstN LastN" for each team member as part of onboarding and change this to their default vault. This allows the 1P account owners to access the info they save by default. As part of onboarding we also train team members to save truly private info in their private vault i.e. their log in for Target or UberEats etc.

• LouKrieg
    LouKrieg
    Community Member

As a long time and loyal 1Password user, I am sorry to say this is another example of seemingly random decision making at 1Password these days. Why on Earth would you make a UX change like this in your flagship product, but leave the feature in the browser extension? Please don't say "this has been passed along to the developers"... in many support requests to various companies, this is equivalent to dropping it in a wastebasket. I don't know how 1Password is organized as a company, but in other organizations I have managed, there should be a product manager who has the decision making authority. We need to hear from that person's lips that this oversight will be corrected in the next release.

• Thanks for the feedback, @aquafarr – I'll also add the thoughts of you and the rest of your team to our internal request.

@LouKrieg I'll also do the same for you. The team do carefully review all the requests we receive, so they'll see your feedback. I promise feature requests don't end up in a wastebasket, and passing it on allows us to take a look at all the different requests we get.

• LouKrieg
    LouKrieg
    Community Member

Thank you @Matthew_1P

• Hey @LouKrieg!

On behalf of @Matthew_1P, you're very welcome. 🙂

This discussion has been closed.