Duplicate in macOS new 1Password for Mac 8.7.0 does not work

Options
Typing Hands
Typing Hands
Community Member

1Password for Mac 8.7.0, 80700098, on PRODUCTION channel
macOS v10.15.7 (Catalina)

In the new version of 1Password 8 for macOS, I used the dropdown menu from Edit in the Mac top menubar. Duplicate... shows up but nothing happens.

Yes, I had an active Secure Note already selected. Nothing on the screen.

PLEASE NOTE: If you highlight the same Secure Note in the program and use the three (3) vertical dots in the top-right corner of 1Password, pull-down menu appears and I selected Duplicate, the process works properly.

Just does not work from the Mac Menu Bar with 1Password program active: (Edit-> Duplicate)

Can we get this fixed?
Thanks.
d

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: v10.15.7

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2022
    Options

Thanks @Typing Hands

I can replicate this. I'll get a report filed for the developers.

ref: dev/core/core#15106

• Typing Hands
    Typing Hands
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you kindly.
    One more related discovery when compared to the former iPassword 7.
    The duplicate Secure Note does NOT say the word - COPY - at the end of the title.
    Is this on purpose for 1P8 ?

Two Secure Notes with the exact same title can be confusing.
    Which note has the latest updates?
    Should only be one (1) Secure Note with that title.
    Thanks.
    d

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Typing Hands

Thank you for the reply. I can see how 1Password 7 adding "- Copy" to the name of a duplicated item was helpful and, while I can't make any promises, I've added your feature request to our internal tracker so our developers can consider it as they are looking into new features to add to future versions of 1Password 8 for Mac.

Thank you for the suggestion! 😊

ref: IDEA-I-792

• @typinghands

The duplicate feature should now work in the menu bar. Please let me know if you do not see that.

• I am on the nightly and it works in my testing. This may be something that you'll need to look for in the next release.
  • Typing Hands
    Typing Hands
    Community Member
    Options

Dear ag_tommy,

Thank you for your updated note of July 12. I apologize for not writing back sooner. Have been dealing with illness in our family for several weeks.

The original problem with 'Duplicate' noted on May 6. In 1P macOS v8.7.3, the problem seems to have been fixed properly. Thank you very much.

Still would like to raise my hand about the word 'Copy' not being added to the macOS version. It has always been added to the previous versions and still is being used in the current iOS versions.

It is a benefit when trying to troubleshoot multiple copies of Secure Notes that can have many different lines from various revisions. The word Copy is a good thing to have.

While I have you here, I would like to add one more observation with the newer macOS update.
    When you create a new Secure Note, the heading/title of the Secure Note displays 'Secure Note' at the top with the cursor flashing on the right side.
    Before you can start to type the needed title or contents, the user has to stop and deal with the layout in the title section, rather than just start typing in the box as you are drafting in information.

In iOS, when creating a new Secure Note, the title bar shows 'Secure Note Name'. When you touch the cursor to the title bar, it places the flashing cursor bar on the left side of the words 'Secure Note Name' (good thing), and as soon as you start to type any characters, the title place holder disappears just the way it should.

This puts the two different versions of 1P for Mac and iOS in opposition to each other. Why can't we have the macOS version the way it was which was fast and efficient (like the iOS version it mirrors), rather than complicate it with more un-needed key strokes just to get started?

Seems self defeating if we are suppose to be making things faster and more efficient.
    I hope someone on the staff would agree.

I use Secure Notes ten times more each day than the other features.
    This change is very noticeable and gets very cumbersome after many needless repetitions throughout each day.
    Yes, less work is better and faster, and makes for happy customers.
    Thanks.

• Hi @Typing Hands

Apologies for the delay, and I'm very sorry to hear about what you're dealing with at home. I hope you've been well.

I can confirm that my colleague Dave has added your feedback to our internal tracker regarding labelling duplicate items, and I'm glad to hear your earlier inquiry has been addressed. 👍🏻

Regarding the behaviour you observed when creating new items in 1Password 8 for Mac and 1Password 7 on iOS, I've tested it and understand how this would amount to additional work when repeated throughout the day. I'd like to suggest using Cmd + A or Shift + the up or down arrow keys to highlight the default title. Once highlighted, you can immediately start typing to replace it and then use Tab to move on the body of the Secure Note. I recognize this workaround doesn't necessarily result in less steps overall, so rest assured I've shared your feedback with the team.

Thanks for taking the time to share these details with us, I appreciate it. If you have any other questions, we're here to help. 🙂

ref: IDEA-I-1521

This discussion has been closed.