Error msg when installing "You used a newer version....."

Options
Gilles9
Gilles9
Community Member
edited May 2022 in Mac

This is the pop-up I get when trying to install 1Password 8, public release downloaded from your site

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2022
    Options

@Gilles9

It sounds like you are running up against a database schema change. The best option would be to set aside the current installation and reinstall. Here's what you would need to do.

1. Make sure you have your Emergency Kit and know your account password.
    2. Quit 1Password and all browser for good measure. Right-click 1Password mini in the menu bar and click Quit.
    3. Open Finder, and click the Go menu > Go to Folder...

In the box that appears, copy and paste the following exactly:

~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/Library/Application Support/1Password/

1. You'll see a folder called Data - move this to your Desktop.

2. Download 1Password 8 and install.

3. Open 1Password and then sign into your account when prompted.

As our founder Dave put it: Traveling back in time can be a rough ride. I suggest switching to the Beta channel to get the next stable update and then if you want to the production channel. You’re welcome to stay on betas though as we have many more goodies on the way.

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    Options

OK that worked

Now I'll see if 1Passwword 8 works correctly with non-us keyboards for Quickfill

• ag_tommy
    Options

👍 Thanks for always helping test things. @Gilles9

• ____
    ____
    Community Member
    Options

I've been using nightly for a while now since the first public beta. Now that the production release is here, I found that there's no way to "downgrade" to production build because my vault were newer than the production build.

I doubt that the vault itself has changed that much, but rather a fool-proof measure to prevent vault damage by downgrading. Is there a way to went back to production so I can stop using nightly builds now?

1Password Version: 80800007
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided

• ag_tommy
    Options

@____

Yes, please see this topic. I will be merging the two momentarily. https://1password.community/discussion/comment/638713

• ballblaze
    ballblaze
    Community Member
    Options

I tried to follow the instructions above re: group containers" but i dont see it in my library on mac. I think the issue is that i completely uninstalled 1password because I thought that'd be better and now I can't install it to get the group containers.

In either case, I'm kind of stuck. I can't install 1password and I don't see the file group containers in my library.

Any ideas?

• ballblaze
    ballblaze
    Community Member
    Options

nvm i fixed it. turns out that you need to paste the folder address into finder to get there. it doesn't show up even when i looked for hidden folders. thanks!

• ag_tommy
    Options

@ballblaze

Yep, the ~ is hidden on macOS. Thanks for the ping though I have updated those instructions.

--

For anyone else reading this. The recommendation is to allow 1Password to switch to the production channel as releases are issues.

• ballblaze
    ballblaze
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the help! Can I delete the data folder after I install 1pw?

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2022
    Options

As long as you were able to link again, I think that would be ok. Make sure everything that you expect to be there has been pulled in from 1Password.com. Always be safe rather than sorry is my motto.

The desktop version from the data folder movement not the one in the user folder

• ballblaze
    ballblaze
    Community Member
    Options

yep got it. thanks for your help!

• ag_tommy
    Options

You're most welcome.

This discussion has been closed.