How can I migrate my data from Kaspersky Password Manager to 1Password?

ffservizio
ffservizio
Community Member

Hello,
the only way to migrate from KPM seems to be export csv.
However, the data exported is not in compatible format. Someone tried this before? Any suggestions on how to convert data?
Thanks.
FF

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:migrate from kaspersky

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@ffservizio

Can you show a sample of the CSV file, with dummy data, and explain / show the column headings?

The last time I looked at the K.P.M. export, it was a marginally formatted text file (not CSV).

• PeterG_1P
    edited April 2022

Hello @ffservizio, thanks for the question! I'll be happy to help here. 👋

As far as I know, Kaspersky exports to a plaintext file format. We don't have a direct way of importing that to the app, but worry not - you should still be able to migrate this information over. And we're happy to provide advice and support on this process.

Here's how I'd suggest you approach this:

1. Export from Kaspersky to the plain-text file format they use
    2. Download the excellent converter suite here, which was created by illustrious 1Password community member @MrC
    3. Use the converter to convert the original file to .CSV format. CSV is a common format that many password managers can use, so once you've got your data to this point things become much more navigable.
    4. Then, use these directions to import the .CSV data into your 1Password account, which will populate it into your apps. 👍

And of course, we're here if you have questions at any step in the process. I hope this provides a helpful beginning. Welcome to 1Password; we're so glad to meet you!

• ffservizio
    ffservizio
    Community Member

@MrC you are right.
    KPM exports two type of data, one is -I guess- proprietary .edb file. The other is txt file, not a real csv... here an example:

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2022

@ffservizio ,

That's what I suspected. I'll modify the directions above provided by @PeterG_1P , however.

Use the kaspersky converter in the converter suite. It will create a 1PIF file, and not a CSV file, however. You will need 1Password 7 to import this 1PIF file, so if you have version 8, uninstall it temporarily, install version 7, and then you can import the 1PIF. Then you may uninstall 7, reinstall 8.

You can do all of the uninstalling / reinstalling of 1Password after you have the conversion completed; that way, if there are issues you'd need me to resolve, you still have your current 1Password version working.

The README will walk you through the process. You'll ultimately see something like:

and that produced 1PIF is what you want.

• ffservizio
    ffservizio
    Community Member

Thank you very much both @MrC and @PeterG_1P!
    I followed you instructions and successfully got my data into 1Password.
    Really appreciate you amazing job.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Outstanding, @ffservizio .

Enjoy 1Password!

• Happy to help @ffservizio, and thank you @mrC for your invaluable guidance as well!

• michiSpunkt
    michiSpunkt
    Community Member

Hi there, I downloaded the converter but can't find Kaspersky in the list. Even though I can see it in the folders. Am I missing something?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2022

@michiSpunkt

From the README:

• michiSpunkt
    michiSpunkt
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

Just figured it out, not possible on Mac. My mistake...

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@michiSpunkt

Good, you found the information about the lack of an export mechanism on macOS. I believe you can export on Windows, and convert the exported file on macOS.

• Landy66
    Landy66
    Community Member

Hallo,
    I´m not able to concert the Kaspersky export file.

I did everything als descriped.

1. Export TXT-File form Kaspersky Password Manager and safed it on the desktop with the name "pm_export.txt"
    2. Installed the MRC-Converter Suite
    3. Installed Strawberry Perl
    4. Excute following command in CMD: perl convert.pl -v Kaspersky ..\pm_export.txt

Error -> Unexpreced file format

What am I doing wrong?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2022

Hello @Landy66

Can you tell me which version of Kaspersky Password Manager you are using (version number, and Premium vs. Free), and which platform?

I just tried version 10.0.0.592 Windows Free:

• mhgiraldo
    mhgiraldo
    Community Member

@Landy66 - I too had Kaspersky and went through the same process listed in the previous comments and it worked perfectly. Answering your question in case you have not figured out, you need to type the complete address where the .txt file is at the end of the command. In your case would be (just copy and paste):

C:\Users\Lenovo\Desktop\mrc-converter-suite>perl convert.pl -v kaspersky C:\Users\Lenovo\Desktop\pm_export.txt

Once you hit Enter, you should see something like this:

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2022

Thanks for the additional feedback @mhgiraldo , and I'm glad you were able to convert your export data.

When the file is not found at the provided path, an error would be returned which would state something like:

The file '..\foo.txt' does not exist.

The path provided by the user was OK.

The error encountered by the other user indicates that the export file was missing some expected patterns at the beginning of the export file, namely Websites, Applications, or Notes. Example:

I suspect the export was either empty, or was the proprietary .edb format, but was given the .txt suffix.

• nachootz
    nachootz
    Community Member

Hi @MrC , I had exactly the same problem that @Landy66

Thx to -d argument I discovered that the elements with "Other Accounts" label were making the script stop:

I finally removed these elements from txt file (only 3) and added it manually in 1PM, I remember that I put these accounts in Other category because KPM show the accounts from same url in groups and I don't like that (in my work I manage more than 30 apple accounts, 15 autodesk accounts, etc).

Thanks for your converter suite, is very helpful that you put a debug per item option. I hope to feel more confort using 1PM

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@nachootz ,

That's great!

For my clarification, are you saying you created your own label different from the standard Websites, Applications, and Notes ?

If so, I wasn't aware you could do that. I could update the converter to better handle this, making it customizable for users. Please let me know if I'm understanding this correctly.

You're welcome re: the converter suite. And the --debug option has been invaluable for me (and users) to help diagnose issues where obviously I can't see actual data.

• nachootz
    nachootz
    Community Member

Sorry for don't being clear, I don't added the category, maybe it was added in some update after you made this tool. The "Other Accounts" registry has these fields, I hope it help you:

Unfortunately the user can't select which elements export in KPM.
    Muchas gracias amigo!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2022

Thank you @nachootz, I'll take a look into this tomorrow.

Enjoy 1Password!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2022

Thanks again @nachootz. I've added support for Other to the converter. I had not noticed that sub-category before.

---

Other Accounts

Account name: otheraccount2
    Login name:
    Login: user2@example.com
    Password: pass2
    Comment: comment2

---

Account name: otheraccount2
    Login name:
    Login: user3@example.com
    Password: pass3
    Comment: comment3

---

Account name: an "other account"
    Login name:
    Login: other@example.com
    Password: dontlookatme!
    Comment: i'm scary

---

Notes

Name: New note
    Text: A good note, or a bad one?

You be the judge.

---

import              : type detected as 'otheraccount'
    normalize_records   : field: Login
    normalize_records   : field: Password
    print_record        : title: otheraccount2 - user2@example.com
                          tags:
                          key(password): Password = pass2
                          key(username): Login = user2@example.com
                          notes: comment2
    print_record        : title: otheraccount2 - user3@example.com
                          tags:
                          key(password): Password = pass3
                          key(username): Login = user3@example.com
                          notes: comment3
    print_record        : title: an "other account" - other@example.com
                          tags:
                          key(password): Password = dontlookatme!
                          key(username): Login = other@example.com
                          notes: i'm scary

It will go into the next update of the converter suite.

• Zonasphere
    Zonasphere
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

sorted

• Peteb9
    Peteb9
    Community Member

Hello, thank you firstly for creating this, it looks like a fantastic tool. Sadly it doesn't seem to work for me. I'm trying to convert the exported txt file from Kaspersky password manager. I've looked through this forum post multiple times and tried what people have suggested by giving the full location path and searching for 'other accounts' in the txt file but every time I get the same error: 'The file 'c:\Users\Pete\Desktop\pm_export.txt' does not exist.' Everything seems to have worked so far, all in admin mode for CMD too.

Any help?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Peteb9

My guess is that you have two file suffixes on the export file and don't realize it (as in "pm_export.txt.txt"), so the converter will not find the export file without knowing the correct name. This is why you likely see:

Right-click the export file, select Properties and select the Details tab. It should look like this:

If you have two file suffixes, you can leave them as they are, just issue the command using that filename (e.g. pm_export.txt.txt).

• Peteb9
    Peteb9
    Community Member

Well that was annoying simple to fix haha. Thank you for your response. Honestly it didn't even cross my mind that could be the issue. It all worked brilliantly and I now can escape Kaspersky's grasp!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Peteb9

You're welcome. Sometimes those annoying little fixes are the best. :-)

Enjoy 1Password!

This discussion has been closed.