iPassword 8 Beta: No alternative to local vaults & syncing

secuity_guru
secuity_guru
Community Member

While it was already announced that local wifi syncing would be gone in the future (what a shame!) I'm really worried seeing that there is no alternative in 1Password 8. There were hopes of self-hosting 1Password Vaults which would have been a solution for privacy-minded people and business, but as I see it the new beta doesn't support any of this. Just your cloud services. I will never - under no circumstances - upload a password to the cloud, regardless of any security claims. It's just a bad idea! Everything worked fine keeping my data private and still have everything in sync.

Please consider releasing something like 1Password Pro (I would be double the price) with the ability to host your 1Password Vaults / Server. We need a real alternative once Version 8 will be released. Thanks!

1Password Version: 8.x
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 15.4.1

Comments

• Hi @secuity_guru:

Thanks for reaching out about this. As you've noted, 1Password 8 only supports 1Password.com (and .ca / .eu) accounts.

Our current best recommendation would be to fill out our self-hosted survey if you haven't already: https://survey.1password.com/self-host/

Stay safe out there!

Jack

• ryuworks
    ryuworks
    Community Member

Will current local vault users be able to stay on 1Password 7 for iOS when 1Password 8 is released? Or will it be a forced update causing everything to stop working?

• Kakkoister2
    Kakkoister2
    Community Member

@ryuworks You'll be able to continue using 1PW7 on iOS until it's no longer supported through iOS or stops working. 1PW8 for iOS will be a separate release from 1PW7

• @ryuworks,

8 will be a separate entry in the App Store, so as @tomatoshadow2 said you can stay on 7 until such time as it stops working on the iOS that you're running. We definitely understand that there is a use case for having vaults that aren't synced and as @Jack.P_1P said please fill out the self hosted survey if you have one of those use cases.

• Stefan Schmidt
    Stefan Schmidt
    Community Member

So for how long will you be supporting 1Password 7?

• 1Password 8 is the way forward: once it’s released, our development efforts will be focused there.

Ben

• Stefan Schmidt
    Stefan Schmidt
    Community Member

I asked how long not how well. Please do not evade the question.

• Kakkoister2
    Kakkoister2
    Community Member

@Stefan Schmidt I would say once the OS your on stops supporting it, with the release of 1PW8, 1PW7 will not be focused on, I imagine. Have you tried 1PW8? It's awesome!

• CyberNaruto
    CyberNaruto
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

@Stefan Schmidt Similar to other software vendors that have gone the subscription path & dropped their perpetual users cough Adobe Cough, their statements on the Agilebits blog, newsletter, & this forum have made it pretty clear at this point. I've already made preparations to move to a self hosted Bitwarden setup with a Raspberry Pi once the day comes where us perpetual license holders (we're also supporters, not pirates) get the proverbial middle finger :/ . Many of us perpetual license holders have asked varying versions of your question & received similar responses or the usual referral to the survey, which let's be honest most likely isn't going to get enough "interest" to actually get what we're asking for, because unfortunately there seems to be a lot more computer inept people than us power users sad face. Unfortunately, the idea of "never - under no circumstances - upload a password to the cloud, regardless of any security claims. It's just a bad idea! Everything worked fine keeping my data private and still have everything in sync." which I also agree with seems to fall on deaf ears T_T.

• Hi Stegan,

I realize it may appear that Ben is evading the question, but he is setting a realistic expectation. It's impossible to say how long it will be supported, and what "support" means. Serious bug? New features? What constitutes a serious bug? There are a lot of factors at play here that affect the answer to the question, so we can't give a date or time interval when support will stop.

This discussion has been closed.