FORGET PASSWORD w/Brand new job/afraid to write down/3 days ago/ Have Team but what do I do first?

KimDelgado
KimDelgado
Community Member
edited May 2022 in Business and Teams

Hello, I'm usually good at following instructions, but they all lead to what the Team Member does to recover my PW, NOT what I do to request help. Please don't send me to the usual link - it's not for me, it's for the team member to recover.
FYI: I signed up via my Mac work computer. I don't have the app on my phone. I do have secret key print-out.
Thank you in advance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I forgot my password

Comments

• Hi @KimDelgado, welcome to the 1Password Support Community - I'll be happy to assist.

There isn't an automated way to request recovery for your 1Password account. This is something you will need to accomplish by using your team's internal communication channels to get in contact with your administrator.

After you contact your administrator or IT help desk, they should be able to start this recovery process on their end. If you're not sure who your administrator is, ask the person who manages your team's software subscriptions, as they'll likely be able to point you in the right direction.

Account recovery

After an administrator on your team starts the recovery process for you, you'll receive an automated email with some detailed instructions at that point which will guide you through the remaining steps, so you can recreate your account password and save a new copy of your Emergency Kit PDF (containing your new Secret Key). Be sure to not share this information with anyone, as your account password and new Secret Key help protect your account.

Let me know if you run into any obstacles after contacting your team, and we'll keep working. 👍

• KimDelgado
    KimDelgado
    Community Member

Thank you! So I'll just contact my team administrator (not via 1password; but however I choose) and ask them to do the recovery process. Suggestion: put that in your help info as I was going in circles trying to figure it out - it kept sending me to the link which tells the administrator of the team what to do, but never told ME what to do. A simple sentence would do the trick: "Contact your team administrator, asking them to start the recovery process." ...or something. May sound dumb lol, but as a new employee, I was trying to avoid direct contact, stating: Duh help - I forgot my password and don't know what to do!
    But if that's the only option, then it is and it's good to know.
    Being new to 1Password, I was reluctant to write down my password, but THIS time I will surely write my password on the nice 1Password Emergency Kit!!!

• Happy to assist, @KimDelgado

Suggestion: put that in your help info as I was going in circles trying to figure it out - it kept sending me to the link which tells the administrator of the team what to do, but never told ME what to do. A simple sentence would do the trick: "Contact your team administrator, asking them to start the recovery process." ...or something.

I'll go ahead and pass on your suggestion internally. I can fully see how that writing could be improved by including clearer instructions. Thanks for sharing this. Let our team know if we can be of any help going forward.

• KimDelgado
    KimDelgado
    Community Member

@ag_max now I've found my password (I had it at home) and have written it down at work. BUT now it's not working - ever since I reported this. :( Did I screw up my password?
    Now I have my original password and my secret key... can I get to my account somehow?

• @KimDelgado

Sorry for the continued trouble. To help troubleshoot this in a non-public setting, I'm going to create a ticket in our email system. Please be on the lookout for an email in your inbox and we'll work from there. 👍

This discussion has been closed.