How do I disable form autosubmit?

natevancouver
natevancouver
Community Member

In 1Password 8 when I fill a login in Safari, it automatically submits the login. I would like 1Password to fill out the fields but not hit the submit button.

In earlier versions of 1Password, I was able to do that but I can’t find the equivalent setting in 1Password 8.

Note: I’m using the Cmd-\ quick access panel to fill in passwords.

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1

Comments

• jackbrewster
    jackbrewster
    Community Member

+1 I came here to find a solution for this as well.

• doubleforte
    doubleforte
    Community Member

+1 ?

• polyrumors
    polyrumors
    Community Member

Some websites have captcha protection, auto-submit will fail the login and forcing user to copy and paste manually. This really breaks the workflow.

• fr3ino
    fr3ino
    Community Member

This feature is also important for me. I like to have control over which forms I submit and when. Please bring it back!

• billj
    billj
    Community Member

I agree. I would like to have control over when a login is submitted.

• erikmh
    erikmh
    Community Member

+1: Please fill in the boxes and let me decide how/when/whether to set it in motion.

• acarling
    acarling
    Community Member

Looking for a solution to this as well.

• tortugonal
    tortugonal
    Community Member

Sigh. Another thing that broke, that should have been ironed out in beta, and wasn't. Too soon. It's not fully baked. For something so critical to the everyday, this is much more than a hiccup.

• billj
    billj
    Community Member

I'd like to restate a request I made on another thread. That is, would the 1Password team please continue to provide security updates for 1Password 7 Mac until they work the kinks out of 1Password 8? I look forward to trying 1Password 8, but judging from all the feedback, it seems prudent to wait.

• Hey folks,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We're continuing to iterate and evaluate on Universal Autofill, so I'll share your feedback on the internal issue we have on this.

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#14506

• natevancouver
    natevancouver
    Community Member

Jack,

Previously 1Password actually removed the autosubmit feature (the users in this thread are just asking to turn it off). And Michael wrote a blog post explaining why. It would be good to know if this has changed:

You’ll also notice that 1Password 7.2 no longer automatically submits passwords once they have been filled… If 1Password were to automatically submit forms in these cases, users are left with an experience that we don’t feel reflects how we want 1Password to work and can lead to confusion… We feel strongly that removing the ability to automatically submit passwords is the right call.

https://blog.1password.com/1password-7.2-for-mac-welcome-to-the-dark-side/#mojave-mo-secure

• dp2
    dp2
    Community Member

+1

• c224
    c224
    Community Member

+1

• flammable
    flammable
    Community Member

I'm so glad I found this thread! One additional note: for a couple of websites, 1Password doesn't automatically check the "remember me" box. This is why I preferred to have auto-submit disabled, so I could check the box before logging in.

I love 1Password 8 otherwise! Thanks!

• Hi folks, I don't have anything specific to share on this at the moment, but just want to let you know that I have added votes on your behalf for a disable autofill option. And thank you to @flammable for letting us know a use case regarding this!

ref: dev/core/core#14506

• natevancouver
    natevancouver
    Community Member

@PeterG_1P, thank you. You mentioned disable autofill. As the OP I just want to be clear that what I’m asking for (and as far as I can tell what the others are asking for) is to disable the feature to automatically submit the form. I still want it to fill the fields when I hit Cmd-\.

I’ve got some more use cases too:

• (From @polyrumors message above) Some sites have CAPTCHAs that fail if autosubmit is used.
    • I might want to click “remember this device” on the page where you enter your 2-Factor code. With auto-submit 1Password doesn’t even pause for a moment on the 2-Factor sign-in page for some sites, it just fills it in and hits submit. (Example: Github)
    • Some sites require you to re-enter your password before completing a security-sensitive task, and there are usually other input elements that need to be filled in before hitting submit. (Example: FastMail)
    • Sometimes I want to see what fills in before I hit submit. For example, if our shared Family folder has a login I may or may not want to use that.
  • doubleforte
    doubleforte
    Community Member

Right... my vote is also for disabling autosubmit :)

• Tangible409
    Tangible409
    Community Member

It's one click of a button vs complete loss of control. This should be an easy decision for the developers.

Another case: For some infrequently-used sites on which both I and my wife have accounts I enter "johnsmith marysmith" in the username, and erase one of them before hitting submit.

• c224
    c224
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

I’ll also add another case: Sometimes autofill will also detect and fill the email address field in the footer of a webpage. Autosubmitting signs you up for their newsletter (spam).

• mackg
    mackg
    Community Member

Add my vote for this as well, I prefer to submit myself and just have 1Password do the filling.

• Nevin Ng
    Nevin Ng
    Community Member

Came here exactly the same reason. I have the auto submit disabled before, and found now v8 auto submitting the form for me, and being blocked by the website because I haven't fill in the catcha......

• cianmm
    cianmm
    Community Member

Adding a vote to disable autosubmit, since it breaks any login form that has a captcha.

• paulmir
    paulmir
    Community Member

Adding vote to disable autosubmit

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member

Yet another vote to disable autosubmit.

• skatch
    skatch
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

Adding my vote to this too, for all the reasons already stated. I was surprised to see this behavior changed, as I remember the post that @natevancouver referenced above.

On a related note, it feels like a lot of product behavior history has been overwritten with v8. I get that this is pretty much a ground up rewrite, but as someone who's read the release notes over the years and seen all the care put into tweaking all kinds of small interactions, it's really frustrating to see years of good work thrown in the bin.

• bcometa
    bcometa
    Community Member

Vote for me too. Auto-fill breaks Wells Fargo for me. Disabling on a per-site basis would be ideal since it works everywhere else.

• Hi folks! Thanks for your discussion here. 😃

@natevancouver - thanks for pointing this out. My last reply did contain an inadvertent conflation of terms.

To be clear: the issue submitted (and for which we're now tallying votes) is for a disable autosubmit, not autofill option. So the request itself was always accurate to your intent, my post just didn't completely reflect that. Again, thanks for checking!

And I will now submit votes on behalf of everyone who has requested from May 6 forward! 👍

• billj
    billj
    Community Member

I already cast my vote in favor of being able to disable autosubmit. But if the proposal by @bcometa (disable autosubmit on a per-site basis) were implemented, I would need to disable autosubmit over six hundred times. Because I don't want to use autosubmit at all, and I have over 600 login items.

Of course, there could be a toggle on each login item to individually override whatever the global state is, but that's likely asking too much of the team.

Without the ability to globally disable autosubmit, disabling it on a per-site basis would not be ideal at all.

• Hi @billj, thanks for this request. I get where you're coming from! While I can't speak at this point to how the implementation of this feature might be done, we do appreciate knowing about your use case, and will definitely be keeping this kind of scenario in mind. Thank you for sharing the specifics with us.

This discussion has been closed.