Deletion of older version

Options
SirBernard
SirBernard
Community Member

Cannot delete 1Password 7 (after installing version 8) , "as it is in use". I restarted my iMac without luck. Please advise

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: 2.3.3 Safari
OS Version: Monterey

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Have you tried Quit 1Password Completely? If 1PW appears in the menu bar, you can reach it from the gear wheel in thewindow. Or you can open the main 1PW and I think it is command-option-Q rather than just command-Q to quite completely.

• billj
    billj
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Here are the instructions for How to uninstall 1Password.

To uninstall 1Password 7, go to the Mac menubar, click on the 1Password menu, and choose Quit 1Password Completely. Then, in the Finder, drag 1Password from the Applications folder to the Trash.

I can confirm these instructions work for 1Password Mac 7.9.4.

(In some older versions of 1Password, wasn't it necessary to hold down the option key when clicking on the 1Password menu in order to see Quit 1Password Completely?)

• ag_tommy
    Options

@SirBernard

Let us know if you continue to have trouble. Thanks for the assist danco and billj

• SirBernard
    SirBernard
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, "Quitting Completely" worked. I dragged it into the trash ( after having been instructed by the program to inactivate the safari extension first).

• ag_tommy
    Options

Sounds good. Enjoy.

• 13astion
    13astion
    Community Member
    Options

I upgraded, and did not have this problem - mostly because I remembered the need to "quit completely" when doing updates, etc. 😉

However, I have two related questions: first, V8 does not have a "Quit" and "Quit Completely"... does that mean that going forward, 1Password will always quit "completely" and this source of confusion will go away when installing future updates? Or will there be a new process?

Second, I use AppCleaner, and when the V7 app went to the trash, AppCleaner ID'd a bunch of other stuff to trash. Most of it seems to be named with a "7" and seems safe to go. And one item appears to be shared by any version and was not checked for removal by default. So the question is, can I safely let AppCleaner do its thing with these items?

• Dave_1P
    Options

@13astion

You're correct, there's no need to quit 1Password 8 in order to update. Our new updater silently and automatically ensures that you're always using the latest version of 1Password for Mac.

In general, I don't recommend using an app cleaner on 1Password's local files. I personally leave the older files alone since they don't cause any issue just resting where they are as long as the 1Password 7 app is no longer in your Mac's Applications folder.

I hope that helps. 😊

• 13astion
    13astion
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Dave_1P , yeah, the app was trashed by the updater, and that move is what triggered AppCleaner to do its thing. So the space for the app will be cleaned up for sure, when the trash is emptied. Still would prefer a "tidier" filesystem.
    Maybe future updaters could do a better job of the "deinstall" process to clean up these things that aren't needed?
    Thanks again!

• ag_tommy
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion 13astion. We typically always go for the manual clean-up as we never want to accidentally remove something needed. A failed update for some reason or another comes to mind. Having those locations in place would allow you to almost instantly go back to the previous method and be up and running in no time. That said, I would be happy to pass on your feedback.

This discussion has been closed.