1password has hijacked the global keyboard shortcut ctrl + # and it can't be changed

Options
humadia
humadia
Community Member
edited May 2022 in Windows

After today's update, whenever I try to (un)comment a line of code using the shortcut ctrl + # in VSCode, 1password pops up. The shortcut is not defined in the settings, it must have been introduced somewhere in the background without an option to change it.

When I quit 1password, the shortcut works as expected.

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10

Comments

• Hey @humadia:

Are you using a non-English keyboard layout by any chance? Let me know!

Jack

• humadia
    humadia
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Jack!

Yes, I'm using German keyboard layout.

• Hello @humadia, thank you for informing us of this. We have passed the report on to our developers so they can look into it. We appreciate you letting us know that you encountered the issue!

ref: dev/core/core#12864

• Hi @humadia,

Quick follow up. Very recently we released Universal Autofill on the Mac. Which uses the Mac's equivalent ctrl + \ or ctrl + # (depending on your keyboard layout). Because of this new feature and our hope to eventually bring it to Windows we needed to shuffle the shortcuts a bit. The issue is that currently 1Password struggles with displaying the correct character automatically when using a non-US keyboard layout. We are tracking this internally and are working to solve it. For now though, can you follow these steps to get the correct shortcuts shown and assigned for 1Password. Here's what to do:

1. Open & unlock 1Password.
    2. Click the three dots in the upper left corner of 1Password
    3. Click Settings.
    4. Re-assign all shortcuts you see (or you can click the x to remove the shortcut entirely).

Once you have done that the correct shortcuts for your layout will be displayed and VS Code and 1Password should work better together.

ref: dev/core/core#15174

• humadia
    humadia
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, that worked!

It would appear that the culprit was the "Fill in Browser" shortcut, which was shown as ctrl + \. Reassigning the "Show 1Password" shortcut did not resolve the issue.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that VS Code displays certain files, such as .ipynb, as a browser.

• Thank you for letting us know, @humadia. We appreciate the information!

This discussion has been closed.