Unlock Everything at the Same Time?

Options

I'm testing the 1P8 beta on my Mac. I'm using the desktop app (with the menu bar helper enabled) and the 1Password for Safari extension. I have two 1Password accounts: one personal and one for work (with 2FA). When I unlock the desktop app with Touch ID or by putting in the passphrase of the first account added (my personal one), both accounts unlock in the desktop app and the menu bar helper. (I do sometimes get my work account's 2FA screen, but once I take care of that, I have access to both accounts.)

Unfortunately, this does not affect the browser plugin. Every time 1Password locks, the browser extension requires that I type in both account passphrases every time. I understand why 1Password is so aggressive about locking the accounts, but when unlocking them every time involves Touch ID and typing in both account passphrases, this gets old quickly.

I disabled the browser extension for a while and used keyboard shortcuts to pull up the Quick Access panel. This process works well enough, but I miss the situational awareness provided by the browser plugin knowing which site I'm on.

Is there a way to get the desktop app and the browser extension unlocking together as they do with 1P7? Failing that, can the extension unlock both accounts simultaneously, much as the desktop app does? Sometime after 1P8 comes out, I'm going to have to demonstrate how to use this new version at work, and, right now, it's a mess behavior-wise compared to 1P7.

1Password Version: 80700095
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1

Comments

• Hi @PeteT, thanks for explaining what you've run into with this issue. This tentatively sounds to me like there may be a coordination issue between 1Password for Mac and the 1Password for Safari extension. We'd be happy to investigate further - could you send a brief email to support@1Password.com, with a link to this discussion? That way we can catch up quickly on the situation and get an investigation started for you.

We'll look forward to assisting you with this!

• PeteT
    PeteT
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @PeterG_1P. I'll send that email shortly.

• Thank you @PeteT!

• PeteT
    PeteT
    Community Member
    Options

For what it's worth, removing 1Password 7 seems to have fixed this problem. This kind of stinks, though, since most of my users are on 1P7, but I also need to prepare for the 1P8 users, so having them both installed at the same time would be quite helpful. Aside from running one in a VM, is this not possible?

• Hey @PeteT:

Because the 1Password extensions are trying to communicate with the 1Password app (and 1Password in the browser can communicate with both 1Password 7 and 1Password 8), it's definitely a little tricky trying to run both at the same time. Separate macOS user accounts, one with 1Password 7 and one with 1Password 8 might be your best bet.

Jack

• PeteT
    PeteT
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion, @Jack.P_1P .

This discussion has been closed.